Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Dual PB10-NSD or one PB12-NSD/2

4K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Ryan2448 
#1 ·
In a 14 X 45 room (the listening area is in a 14 X 16 part of the room) what would be the pros and cons of:

a) a single PB12-NSD/2

vs.

b) dual PB10-NSD's

?

#4 ·
Hey chas... I have put a Plus/2 and a Plus in the same room, and they worked flawlessly when tuned the same... since then I have upgraded to dual Plus/2's (snatched up the Piano Black off B-Stock $950) in the same room, as its huge like yours just shaped different. I would suggest that SVS will tell you to stay in the same lineage..

#12 ·
The key when mixing two different subs is to match the tuning points and also calibrate them so they reach their respective limits at the same time. There would be no sense in calibrating the NSD/2 and the PB10-NSD to the same level because the PB10 would be compressing when the NSD/2 was still coasting.

Dual PB12-NSD will have similar output as the Plus/2 (20 Hz tune) down to about 30 Hz. Below 30 Hz the dual NSD start to assert an advantage due to their combined enclosure volume advantage. The NSD is also tuned to about 18 Hz vs. ~21 Hz for the Plus/2 (20 Hz tune), so the dual NSD have a large advantage at 16 Hz.

The Plus/2 is going away because it has similar overall output capability as the PB13U and essentially creates redundancy in the line-up. If we introduce another dual driver subwoofer, it will likely be an Ultra and not a Plus.

#14 ·
Yes... for smaller rooms, the single driver offers a lower tuning point with the larger enclosure. Thanks Ed for the info on the output capabilities here... I'm glad I had the chance to grab my second Plus/2 before you closed them out... I heard you guys were working on Dual driver Ultra 13's earlier on... I hope they are still in the works, which adds to the list of products your working on, the LTS speakers, Sub EQ... anything else you might have in the mix you might want to drop a bread crumb about...

#15 ·
We're down to textured black in the Plus/2 - so if you're on the fence, get one before they're gone. :ponder:

We have all sorts of products in the skunk works in various stages of development - that's the fun part. Determining which products have an optimum balance of performance, price, ship-ability, size/weight/footprint, and will fit our target demographics and sell well......that's the hard part. :sweat:

#17 ·
We have several L-series prototypes built, each with different conceptual themes. We need to make sure the final design is a natural evolution of the S-series and M-series, while at the same time integrating with and complementing our core business of high performance subwoofers.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :innocent:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.