Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Adding LCD monitor to rec room (split the feed from Satellite receiver)

6K views 11 replies 1 participant last post by  salvasol 
G
#1 ·
Hello All,

I currently have a 9 year old Hitachi 50" rear projection TV with Satellite TV. (I'm from Canada so it's Bell ExpressVu)

I have a spare LCD computer monitor that I would like to use as a 2nd TV in my rec room. It has the regular computer connection and also a DVI connector on the monitor. Is there any way to split the satellite signal so I can watch the same TV show on the monitor that is on the actual TV. It's kind of a bar area and when people sit a certain way they wrench their necks to see the TV, so the LCD monitor would be nice to have at the other end of the room?

Is this possible? Or is it not worth trying? Also, I am not worried about a 'great picture' just something that is good enough to watch

Suggestions/Thoughts?

#2 ·
First of all ... Welcome :wave:

I currently have a 9 year old Hitachi 50" rear projection TV with Satellite TV. (I'm from Canada so it's Bell ExpressVu)

I have a spare LCD computer monitor that I would like to use as a 2nd TV in my rec room. It has the regular computer connection and also a DVI connector on the monitor. Is there any way to split the satellite signal so I can watch the same TV show on the monitor that is on the actual TV.
Does your SAT receiver has HDMI??? ... if it does, get a HDMI to DVI addapter to hook up the monitor.

Try connecting that to SAT receiver (leave the TV the way it is) and see if it works :yes: ... most of the time you use splitters to connect a pair of TV's, but in your case I'm sure you won't be using the same method (LCD will use DVI and TV probably is using composite or the antenna).

Hopefully others will give you more ideas ....:yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.