TV Volume to Control surround sound - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound XTZ Sound OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. DSP Axiom Audio

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > System Setup and Connection
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 10904 - Replies: 10  
Old 01-23-10, 06:00 PM   #1
Shackster

Lost in Space
Since: Jan 2010
I started this thread.
TV Volume to Control surround sound

O.K. I have hooked my system up a thousand different ways. This is what I want to do. I want to control my surround sound receiver using my TV volume. Like a dimmer switch for a light bulb. I tried it with the STB, but the STB's volume is too slow. In other words, I want to only use 1 remote to control for channels & volume. I know there are multi function remotes, but I know this can work somehow. I am using a optical audio out from the TV to the optical audio in on my Denon receiver. It seems that I can set the volume on the receiver to a certain max volume while controlling the amount of audio using the TV volume. Am I right? Please help me as I only have a few hairs left in my head. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-10, 06:20 PM   #2
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System
Re: TV Volume to Control surround sound

You are able to use the TVs audio however be aware that the sound will only be dolby digital 2.1 Due to rules set by the people that oversee the brodcasting industry. If you set the receivers volume at the normal level you want to hear it with the TVs volume at medeum level you will then have some control.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Old 01-23-10, 06:37 PM   #3
Shackster

Lost in Space
I started this thread.

Thanks Tony for your quick reply. I don't have any control what so ever with the tv's volume control. What makes me scratch my head is when I hook it from the STB's audio out it works.

Old 01-23-10, 06:41 PM   #4
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
My System

try the analog audio out (red/white) it may be that the variatable output is only on the analog outs.

Home theater:
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

Old 01-23-10, 06:45 PM   #5
Shackster

Lost in Space
I started this thread.

That was 1 of the thousand ways that I have tried before. Don't get me wrong. I am very appreciated with the help so far. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-23-10, 07:00 PM   #6
Shackster

dalto
Since: May 2009
Texas

Go into to your TV menu and make sure the audio output is set to be variable.

Old 01-23-10, 07:23 PM   #7
Shackster

Lost in Space
I started this thread.

Unfortunately I don't have that option on my tv. All I have under audio is to adjust the sound (theater,music, news,etc) or to turn the tv speaker on or off. That is it.

Old 01-23-10, 08:16 PM   #8
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
My System

It may be that your TV does not support it.

Home theater:

Living room system:

Old 01-25-10, 01:13 PM   #9
Senior Shackster

selden
Since: Nov 2009
NY
My System

So far as I know, no modern TV's line-level and digital outputs have a variable volume. It is expected that they'll be sent to a receiver which will provide that control.

Some companies make both receivers and TVs. When connected together, they can control one another, so you need only a single remote for both. Replacing what you have would be a lot more expensive than getting a "universal" or programmable remote, though. Check the remote that came with your receiver. Many of them are "universal' -- you just need to enter the code number which corresponds to your TV model.

Old 01-25-10, 09:18 PM   #10
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA

You don't want variable control on signals that will be decoded for surround sound. The levels need to be fixed for the decoding to work properly.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > System Setup and Connection »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »