Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Need help with set up.

4K views 56 replies 8 participants last post by  koyaan 
#1 ·
Hey guys, My basement room that is allmost completed is not a large space but good enoughf to enjoy a nice HT. My problem is I am not sure what Dolby version to use. The space is about 13ft wide by 15long. Before I sheet rock the ceiling I need to figure the things I need to buy and the best bang for the buck.:wave:

#36 ·
No problem at all, You dont even need to run the HDMI cable from the BluRay player through the receiver as your not going to be taking the audio from the HDMI cable (your going to use the multi channel audio outputs on the BluRay player). Just run the HDMI straight to the Display.

#37 ·
OK, so the HDMI from the Bluray straight to the TV and the anolog outputs to the anolog inputs on the reciever. Then the anolog outputs from the TV to the anolog inputs on the reciever for the sound. So basically just using the reciever for sound only and nothing more right?

#38 ·
Dont bother with the analog from the TV back to the receiver, not necessary. If your using a cable box/PVR just use the HDMI for that with audio as its just passing Dolby digital and the receiver will have no issues with that.

#40 ·
I think for the price the 804 may be worth it I just wish someone else would chime in here as i dont want this to be just my opinion.

#42 ·
Sounds good :T

#43 ·
Hello,
250 Dollars does sound like a nice deal on the TX-SR804. At least it is HDMI 1.1 which means it should accept the uncompressed PCM tracks that are sent when True HD and DTS HD are decoded in the BDP.
Just like when you use a pre Slim PS3 with an HDMI 1.3 AVR, your AVR will show PCM.

The biggest things lacking in the 804 are having only 2 HDMI inputs and the lack of Audyssey MultEQ or any other Room EQ. On the plus side, you do get THX Certification and Processing Modes. You will also be without a warranty.

If you could possible afford the 170 Dollar upcharge for the TX-SR706 B-Stock from Accessories4less, I would definitely do that. You would still get THX Processing, more HDMI Inputs, Audyssey MultEQ, HDMI 1.3, and a Warranty. Otherwise, the TX-SR804 should get the job done.
Cheers,
JJ

#44 ·
Well I decided not to buy it in case of any problems. The only thing that I liked about it was the THX certificate, other than that it was lacking what lesser models have today like more HDMI inputs and I really do want them for future upgrades. So I am still looking for somthing in the 500. dollar range.

#45 ·
#46 ·
See it just goes to show waiting is sometimes better. Thanks for the heads up and for a couple bucks extra I can get more than what I was looking for. Now just need the extra dough.lol
Again thanks for streering me in the right direction if it were'nt for this site I would have bought it and maybe been dissapointed. What budget speakers you suggest and can I make a 7.1 do a 5.1 setup?

#48 ·
As usual I alway value Jacks opinion and he is sending you in the right direction. there are only a few BluRay movies with full 7.1 audio mixes 5.1 is still the standard. If your room is small or your only using one row of seating 5.1 is more than enough.

#49 ·
My room measures 12ft width and 14ft deep and also has other rooms off of it. One thing about the room is that I did make it sound vey dead as best I could.:sn:
So a good 5.1 will do me just fine since I had a good system when I was a kid but since then nothing due to wife and kids and the never ending stuff they need.lol:D

#51 ·
Well I just bought a Onkyo TX-SR607 and it now has to sit in the box like my new Aquos tv. I am getting a lot of work done in the basement though,almost there I can feel it. Now I need to figure on speakers and have been looking at the Kipsch but just heard they were bought by Energy Hmmm. I need to find some speakers that I can hear before I buy the hunt continues. Still need sugestions, thanks for the replies everyone.:bigsmile:

#52 ·
Hello,
You actually have it backwards. Klipsch purchased Energy. If you have auditioned and like Klipsch's, why would you not get them?
Cheers,
JJ

#54 ·
Hello,
Klipsch's would be a smart choice in that they are really efficient thus will play loudly with not much amplifier power. With the TX-SR607 not being the most powerful AVR out there, Klipsch's would be a great choice for getting the best HT experience.
Cheers,
JJ

#56 ·
Well after my budget took a hard hit for unexpected kids stuff:hissyfit: I broke down and bought the Klipsch HD Theatre 1000 5.1 system. I did get to hear it before I bought it and I must say it does sound dam good for the size and should be a good fit for my small room. My one question is I want to use the hieght option on my Onkyo TX-SR607 and the speakers only comes with 5 satelights. Can I buy two speakers simular to the ones I have now and use them up high or will it not work.:scratch:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.