Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Need help with set up.

4K views 56 replies 8 participants last post by  koyaan 
#1 ·
Hey guys, My basement room that is allmost completed is not a large space but good enoughf to enjoy a nice HT. My problem is I am not sure what Dolby version to use. The space is about 13ft wide by 15long. Before I sheet rock the ceiling I need to figure the things I need to buy and the best bang for the buck.:wave:

#2 ·
I assume by "what Dolby version" you really mean "which speaker configuration."

Install more and longer wires than you think you'll need. Running them later will be a pain. 14 gauge or even 12 gauge speaker cables are cheap. Don't get taken in by the boutique brands costing more than a couple of dollars per foot.

Also, don't forget about fire and electrical codes. They place requirements on the type of plastic used to insulate the wires, and that power can't be run in the same conduit with audio signal wires.

#13 ·
I'm a firm believer in a quality 5.1 speaker configuration. If imaging is tight and the speakers/sub can handle a full range of sound, the sound quality and emersion will still beat out a 11.1 configuration with "OK" speakers any day. You can also get a better set of speakers for the same amount of cash if you go the 5.1 route.

#4 ·
Supposedly the new "wide" configuration makes more of a difference in the experience than do rear or height speakers. Different people have different tastes in surround sound, though. I'd suggest getting a receiver that can handle all three configurations (rear, front height and front wide) and do the wiring for them all so you can actually find out for yourself. This may imply using speakers that hang on the wall instead of being in-wall, though, if that's what you were considering. I'm suggesting that just because of the expense, and that exposed speakers, in general, sound better than ones that are recessed.

#6 ·
Onkyo receivers are tough to beat for the price. I do however recommend buying at least the Onkyo 707 as it gives you pre outs and THX certification. The pre outs are very handy as it allows you to add external amplification to any of the channels releasing the receiver of the load caused by running all 5 or more channels at the same time.

#7 ·
Thanks I will check it out, Also I was looking at the Onkyo SKS-HT870 speaker system. I know it is not a popular thing here to buy a package speaker set but the room is not very big and will be better than anything I have now. Any sugestions on other speakers that I can utillize the Dolby 11z set up?

#8 ·
SVS is tough to beat for the money. The quality of there speaker packages and sub is very good.
You can simply use almost any speaker you want for the height and width channels as they are simply presence channels and wont carry allot of full range audio.

#12 ·
Yamaha has been using the presence channels for many many years on their receivers. With Dolby PLIIz this gets a bit more interesting as Dolby has figured out a way to make it seem as though things are falling.

#17 ·
The 607 is a good receiver and it has pre outs giving you the advantage of hooking up external amplification some time down the road if you want.

#19 ·
Sorry I always get the model numbers mixed up. How about this Onkyo 706 for $429 cant go wrong with that.

#23 ·
The 804 is a good receiver and lots of power however it does not decode the newest audio formats (TruHD and DTS MA) and I dont think it is HDMI 1.3 only 1.1. Two very big must haves in my opinion. I think $250 is a little high can you talk it down a bit more.

#25 ·
There are very few if any receivers that are three or more years old that decode the uncompressed formats. This can be worked around if the bluray player you have has analog 7.1 outputs as the BluRay player can also decode them and send them to the receivers multi channel inputs.

#27 ·
HDMI 1.1 has its issues but Im not sure if it would be a deal breaker or not as I dont know what limitations it has. Does your Bluray player have 7.1 multichannel (analog) outputs?

#29 ·
You will be ok then with BluRay so all you really need to worry about is the HDMI 1.1 capabilities other than that its a solid receiver and is THX ultra certified.

#31 ·
I cant remember for sure but i think it had something to do with deep color support and some HDCP compatibility issues. Im searching for it now.

#32 ·
Here is some good information on the different HDMI versions.

#34 ·
You could just buy an external HDMI switcher. Monoprice sells them for around $50 that has 4 ports and it remote controllable.
You could just run the HDMI cable directly to the display as your not going to use it for the audio anyhow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.