Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

onkyo 9.2 to 4-ep2500

3K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  harleyhualer-sc02 
#1 ·
For the 2 subs output on the Onkyotx-nr1007 to 4-ep2500 will i need 2 Samson S-converts or 1?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·

You don’t need two S-Converts; the second diagram will do.

You also don’t need most of those splitters. If you run the amps in Parallel mode, only Input #1 is needed to drive both channels, and the Input #2 jack can be used to send the signal to a second amp. See pp. 7 & 8 of the manual.

Actually, you might not need any S-Converts at all. Many pre-amps have sufficient output voltage to drive the EP amps.

Here’s a little test you can do to see: Connect all the EP amps to the Onkyo as you intend to use them. Disconnect all speakers from the Onkyo and the EP amps. Turn the EP gains all the way up. Turn the Onkyo’s sub output all the way up. Now turn the Onkyo’s master up to highest setting you would ever use. If the EP amplifiers’ clip lights light up solid, then you’re getting all the signal you need from the Onkyo and you don’t need an S-Convert.

Regards,
Wayne

#4 ·
Here’s a little test you can do to see: Connect all the EP amps to the Onkyo as you intend to use them. Disconnect all speakers from the Onkyo and the EP amps. Turn the EP gains all the way up. Turn the Onkyo’s sub output all the way up. Now turn the Onkyo’s master up to highest setting you would ever use. If the EP amplifiers’ clip lights light up solid, then you’re getting all the signal you need from the Onkyo and you don’t need an S-Convert.

Regards,
Wayne
This can be fine for a sub but for full range the higher the input level voltage the less signal to noise you will get. By turning up the amps levels to full your also boosting the noise in the signal path.

#5 ·

Yeah - that can be a concern, but it’s not the case with every amp. I have an old Ramsa amp from the 90s that is dead silent with the gains maxed.

It occurs to me that I left the “test” incomplete: I should have noted that if you can get the amp’s clip LEDs to light up solid, at that point reduce the amp’s gain until they start to flicker.

The idea was that an S-Convert might not be necessary. I think a lot of people use it who probably don’t need one.

Regards,
Wayne

#6 ·
Ok, Thanks guys. I don't have to disconnect all the speakers cause everything is still new in the box. I didn't want to mess with anything untill i got all the cables and what not to hook everything up. Plus I still have a little sheet rock to finish, so it still will have some dust kicked up in that room and I didnt want it to get on the new equipment..

#12 ·
yes the amps will be bridged once i actually hook them up. 1 ep2500 to each mal-x.

I was confused by the manual as well. In the manual it says on page 7 "mono-bridge mode switches must be disingaged when running parallel mode". But on page 9 there is an example image of a set up that uses 1 input but the amp is bridge.

#13 ·

Correct, only one input is needed for parallel mode or bridged mode. There are directions on the back of the amp for the settings, as well as directions on page.

But it may be that in bridged mode, the daisy chaining from Ch. 2 to the next amp won't work. Try it and see. If it doesn't, you could just use the second input jack on Channel 1 instead. IOW, if you're using the 1/4" jack for your Ch. 1 input, you could run an XLR cable from the Ch. 1 XLR to the second amp. The XLR and 1/4" jacks are internally paralleled, so it should work. :T

Regards,
Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.