Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

New receiver, old TV

Tags
receiver
4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  tonyvdb 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum and would like help with a quick question. I have a RPTV with component inputs. I want to upgrade my receiver to 7.1 with the new formats, as I upgraded my DVD player to the new Oppo 83. I just found out that I can't connect the Oppo to a new receiver via HDMI and then connect the receiver to the TV via component video. If I connect the Oppo with component video, and the audio via fiber optic or digital coax, will the new Blu ray audio formats transfer to the receiver and play appropriately?

Thanks for your help!!!!

#2 ·
If I connect the Oppo with component video, and the audio via fiber optic or digital coax, will the new Blu ray audio formats transfer to the receiver and play appropriately?

Thanks for your help!!!!
Yes this will work but you would loose the ability to receive the new uncompressed audio formats that BluRay offers. Does the receiver have multi-channel analog inputs?

#6 ·
What is the size of your current TV? If you have a 100" RPTV it may be hard to switch to a smaller LCD but If you can shell out $1k for a newer TV, you can get a decent sized LCD with optical outputs for the onboard HD tuner and several HDMI connections.

#4 ·
You can still go the component route but you would have to let the Oppo do the douwnconversion of the uncompressed formats and send them via optical. The sound will be very good still and at a higher bitrate than standard Dolby digital, not a big deal for the short term.

#8 ·
#9 ·
yes and that has HDMI inputs and was never released to the public due to costs the OP is talking about an "older" CRT RPTV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.