Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

HDMI Switch Ideas

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  TypeA 
#1 ·
Hi

Here is my setup, I have 2 HD TV's a 32" and a 50" next to each other, I use one to watch TV/Hulu/Netflix the other to play video games. I have an HD Tivo, an Xbox 360 and a PS3. What I want to do is install switches so that I can use either TV with each system. From the little research I have done, I figured I could get 3 splitters then 2- 3 port switches, but past experience has taught me that splitters usually degrade signal or have noise ect.

What I would like is the suggestions of this forum on the best ways to accomplish my goal. I would also like to keep it inexpensive as I am going to be in the market for a new 50"+ TV in the next few months. I do not mind manual switches as I am currently swapping HDMI when I want to change things now.

Sorry if I am in the wrong forum

#3 ·
Welcome to HTS!

You could also send a different audio/video output to each TV. For example, send the HDMI from the PS3 to the AVR/main TV (assuming you are using it as a BDP) and the component video outputs* to the other TV for games. You would have to do some switching in the PS3 menu, but it should work.

If you don't have the inputs for this (or don't want to use anything except HDMI) then you'll have to use the switches/dual output AVR Ty mentioned.

*You would need something like this.

#6 ·
SRG said:
Thanks for the suggestions!

I do not want to go the component cable route as I just got away from that recently.

I am looking at the 4x2 Matrix Switch!!!
Matrix splitter would be good because I believe the lets you watch two different things at once. The Onk will only duplicate the signal to both TV's.
As for signal degradation, there's no need to worry about that will HDMI, it's a digital signal that either works at 100% or doesn't work at all. That's directly off of the HDMI.org website. One other thing to consider is modern day HDMI splitters have amplifiers built into them, they're designed to increase the signal strength. You should be fine with the Matrix.
Please lets us know what you think of it, I'm currently one of those people who have my signal split to different TV's, but currently my 4x1 requires me to watch the same thing in all rooms if I want HD that is.

#8 ·
One other thing to consider is modern day HDMI splitters have amplifiers built into them, they're designed to increase the signal strength. You should be fine with the Matrix.
Yeah most powered splitters do increase signal strength. However, you need to make sure your HDMI cables are the proper guage. I've heard people have trouble with using 28AWG for runs beyond 10ft. You will need 24AWG or even 22AWG for a strong signal.

I found I nice selection of matrix splitters here

i'm using the 4X2 Powered True Matrix HDMI 1.3a Switch + Splitter w/ Remote Controller (Rev. 3.0) and it's working out great so far :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.