Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Bi-wiring my onkyo 5009?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  wgmontgomery 
#1 ·
Hi i want to do a 11.1 setup on my onkyo 5009 can i bi-wire my main front speakers and front heights and front wides and still get 11.1 sound or would it cause problems need help asap

#5 ·
Bi-wiring has no effect on the number of channels. You just run 2 wires from the amp out to the speaker so that woofer and tweeter are separately powered by the same amp channel. Many people swear by it. Many others (myself included) consider it a waste of wire. Bi-amping, on the other hand, will impact your available channels unless you have a stack of external amps at your disposal.

#6 ·
I Googled the 5009 to check a few things; according to the info I found it is a 9.2 AVR, so I'm not sure how you plan on doing 11.1. Perhaps I got the wrong receiver in my search?? :scratch:

Also, I remember researching a similar question (bi-wiring with Onkyo AVR) and the AVR was able to bi-wire the mains OR add 2 channels for 9.1; you can't do both. Basically, you can route the L/R mains signal to the amps that are used for the "extra" channels (height/width) OR use those amps for height or width.

The AVR that I found was this one; Onkyo may have changed some things OR it may be the wrong AVR. If I have the wrong AVR from my internet search, please let me know. I'll be happy to see if I can find more info.

#9 ·
Also, I remember researching a similar question (bi-wiring with Onkyo AVR) and the AVR was able to bi-wire the mains OR add 2 channels for 9.1; you can't do both. Basically, you can route the L/R mains signal to the amps that are used for the "extra" channels (height/width) OR use those amps for height or width.
I think you are talking about bi-amping and not bi-wiring in this statement.

#7 ·
I agree with what has been said above about bi-wire, its not worth the hassle. There will be no audible difference in what you hear. I have been running my livingroom speakers (see signature) in bi-amp mode and cant hear any difference between that and how I had it before. Just make sure your using at least 14awg wire and enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.