Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Need help with first time setup

Tags
setup time
1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  avfidelity 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm new to home theater and this is going to be my first setup so I really don't know what I'm doing. After researching how to distribute HDMI sources to multiple zones I find myself pretty overwhelmed. Seems like splitting HDMI is a real headache with all the EDID, HDCP, ect.

What I'm basically trying to do is get my 6 HDMI sources to independently and simultaneously display on different zones (projector + 3 TVs). For example, I want to game on the projector and watch cable on one of the TVs at the same time. From what I gather, I can accomplish this with a 8x4 hdmi matrix but that's way out of my budget. Plus I would probably have issues with the lowest common denominator since I'm going to run 3D on the projector but the TVs are not 3D compatible. And I'll have audio issues with the projector running 5.1 audio and the TVs running 2.1. So I came up with the setup as illustrated below which I'm hoping will solve the common denominator problem. I figure if I add a 1x2 splitter right after each source the projector will get 3D and 5.1 audio without getting down converted by the TVs. I don't know if this setup would work or if there's a more efficient way of doing this without getting a matrix switch. Hopefully you guys can chime in and help me out. Thank you.

http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii488/nthydro2/HomeAudioSetup.jpg

See less See more
#2 ·
I believe if you set up actual room scenarios of planed use you will have a clearer idea of your needs. I don't have enough to go on. How many rooms etc

With your scenario drawing you have added only a second simultaneous source/play.

First thing *from the AVR go out to a 4x1 and then to TV's this gives you one one play ability with many source options and 4 play options - you may to duplicate this to get more source/play simultaneous options.

an 8x4 matrix sounds like Disneyland but it sounds about right. With any distance you may need power boost. But most of the games mentioned need to be in the same room as the display without need for switching it is "direct connect" only

I need plans/scenarios

#4 ·
Thank you sir for the help :T

I actually live in a studio apartment so everything is within a 20 foot radius. Basically all the components are in the same room except for the 24" TV in the kitchen. My girlfriend wants to watch TV while she wash the dishes :R

Are you suggesting I chain two 1x4 splitter after the receiver?

Basically I want the projector to run independently from the 3 TVs. The 3 TVs can run the same thing.

#3 ·
WOW, where are my manners..., Welcome to HTS. Don't be discouraged. Somebody here has an answer for you. It only looks daunting looking at the big pic. But with information I am sure we'll figure this out in time.

But I am sure games like PS3 must be run from the same room as the display and game console and Wii also I think. In any case what are your precise needs?

I hope you're having fun with this so far.

#5 ·
Well now what I am thinking is: all source components are plugged directly into the AVR (receiver) ; 7HDMI in and single HDMI out into the 1x4 ; then out to each display/monitor.

For the Wii, XBox, PS3 in addition to plugging into the AVR(not necessarily) should plug
directly into the display each as a dedicated setup for room, display, and source component. Example a room and display for the Wii; a room and display for xbox etc.

In this setup you maintain the option to display cablebox, Blue Ray and screencast switched to any display. Any of the games can be played on dedicated setups simultaneous with cable, BR, screencast on another display (or pic in pic).

So all you will need is a several 2x1 a single 1x4 and plenty of cable should not any copyright prob's

#6 ·
You could possibly use a 4x8 HDMI matrix matrix with 4 inputs to 8 outputs.
You can do this If you could limit your source to 3 of the most common used (for example, Cable box, blue Ray, PS3), to the INPUTS 1-3 of the matrix . Then connect the "secondary" less frequently used sources ( wii, xbox for example) to a standard HDMI switch and connect to the input 4. So you can use the hdmi switch to select the secondary sources that you only use occasionally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.