Speaker spikes or rubber feet - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > System Setup and Connection
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 6169 - Replies: 46  
Old 02-20-14, 05:42 AM   #21
Shackster

MasonUK
Since: Feb 2014
Farnham, Surrey, UK
Re: Speaker spikes or rubber feet

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post
Other possibilities.
  • Make the stand stable so that it cannot vibrate and root the speaker to the stand, as above. The stand stability can be partly structural and partly by filling it with shot or sand or gravel or bricks or something that makes the whole structure dense and immovable. If this is accomplished, the interface between the stand of the floor seems to be of minimal concern, and you can do whatever you need to protect the floor.
  • Have a "floating" interface between the speaker and the stand. The best way to do this is magnetic levitation. I have actually heard of people doing it experimentally and claiming miraculous results. Seriously, there are pads made of materials meant to acoustically float this speakers off the stands. I do not even remember where I saw them. I think the theory here is: If you cannot keep your stand from vibrating, better to isolate the speaker from the stand so only the speaker cabinet is vibrating. I think the approach that stops all vibration except the actual speaker transducers is best overall, but if that is not practical, then this approach might be better than nothing.
Yes there are special brackets that are available with rubber or spring mounts built into the middle of them. Any vibration is absorbed there.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-14, 09:34 AM   #22
Senior Shackster

Since: Sep 2012
Ottawa Canada
My System

Quote:
Mikeythai wrote: View Post
Thanks for all the input guys.

I am still designing my speaker stands, so it now looks like I should think about how they will stand on the floor (which is granite).

Rubber pads between speaker and stand, and spikes between stand and floor sounds pretty good. And yes, they do seem to include the 'bases' for the spikes.
Don't get hung up on spikes/rubber feet..decoupling a speaker etc. The biggest sonic improvement you will be getting is having the tweeter at ear level while you are seated. Any benefits from spikes as to speaker decoupling will be a negligible improvement if any. Based on your floor, I would use rubber feet and also and between speaker and stand. Spikes will serve you no audible improvement.

Old 02-20-14, 09:39 AM   #23
Senior Shackster

Ottawa Canada
My System

Quote:
AudiocRaver wrote: View Post

Other possibilities.
  • Have a "floating" interface between the speaker and the stand. The best way to do this is magnetic levitation. I have actually heard of people doing it experimentally and claiming miraculous results. Seriously, there are pads made of materials meant to acoustically float this speakers off the stands. I do not even remember where I saw them. I think the theory here is: If you cannot keep your stand from vibrating, better to isolate the speaker from the stand so only the speaker cabinet is vibrating. I think the approach that stops all vibration except the actual speaker transducers is best overall, but if that is not practical, then this approach might be better than nothing.
Sounds like yet another audiophile subjective claim of voodoo magic that they can hear but yet shy away from objectively proving their results.

Old 02-20-14, 04:29 PM   #24
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit
Since: Feb 2011
New Orleans, LA

Voodoo...

Long and short is sympathetic vibration reduces the energy sent out from the driver. Force and equal/opposite force... IMO adding mass is the best way to avoid this. Heavy stands and anchored to the floor as possible and the bookshelf speaker anchored to the stand.

We want less vibration. This does affect your imaging and response, albeit less than positioning and room acoustics.

All these tweaks and tricks can provide incremental changes in performance. It will never completely alter your speaker's voice.

Old 02-20-14, 07:44 PM   #25
Senior Shackster

Ottawa Canada
My System

Quote:
rab-byte wrote: View Post
Voodoo...

Long and short is sympathetic vibration reduces the energy sent out from the driver. Force and equal/opposite force... IMO adding mass is the best way to avoid this. Heavy stands and anchored to the floor as possible and the bookshelf speaker anchored to the stand.
Agreed.

Quote:
rab-byte wrote: View Post
We want less vibration. This does affect your imaging and response, albeit less than positioning and room acoustics.

All these tweaks and tricks can provide incremental changes in performance. It will never completely alter your speaker's voice.
Like I stated in my prior post, the fact that the OP gets the tweeters to ear level will provide the single biggest benefit in sound improvement, 1000x more than worrying whether to use spikes or rubber pads. The OP should only be concerned with preventing the speaker from vibrating on the platform. I agree with you that the stands should be made as inert as possible. What I disagree with this in this thread that people think that spikes are the only way to go. However, spikes on a marble floor would be far in above the worst way to go.

Old 02-20-14, 08:13 PM   #26
HTS Moderator

Since: Feb 2012
In the Home Theater
My System

If you use spikes you can always put a penny under them so you don't scratch the floors or get the cups for the spikes.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
3 JBL 2360 horns with EV DH1A drivers, and 1/4 pie bass bins, 4 Klipsch Heresy Industrial HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, 2 Danley SUPER SPUD subs, Yamaha P7000S, Denon 4520, Panasonic AE8000, and a Seymour AT 195" diagonal Scope screen.
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread

FS:Jamestown 134" screen http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post889081

Old 02-20-14, 10:53 PM   #27
HTS Senior Moderator

bigbadbill
Since: Sep 2008
Newcastle Australia

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
If you use spikes you can always put a penny under them so you don't scratch the floors or get the cups for the spikes.
Or cut out the middleman completely and just glue pennies to the bottom of your speakers.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-shelf.html

Old 02-21-14, 12:02 PM   #28
Shackster

Babak
Since: Mar 2009
Vienna

Hi

An important question has not been answered yet :
Quote:
mpompey wrote: View Post
What kind of flooring does your speakers sit on? Hardwood, carpet, tile?
The aim is to get rid of resonances.
And the best solution depends on the construction of the floor

--------------

The optimum would be a solid floor like stone or a glued floor (wood or carpet)
Here spikes are the best solution (3 per speaker).
They couple the speakers tightly to the floor. The resulting system has a higher mass than the speaker alone and thus can better absorb the vibration.

To protect the floor you can get metal washers with the spikes.

--------------

A floating floor construction (e.g. wood) or a more traditional wood floor are not as steady but vibrate and resonate more.
Here it is necessary to isolate the speaker from the floor in order to prevent that the floor resonates.
A resonating floor swallows a lot of bass energy.

So the best solution is decoupling the speakers with rubber feet or special anti resonance feet.
Or even better :

Get a stone tile (3 centimetres thick, 30 x 30 centimetres) to add mass to the system.
Put three rubber feet or anti-resonance feet below and put the Speakers with 3 spikes onto the stone base.

-------------

My speakers came with casters and my listening room has a glued wooden floor.

I replaced the casters with spikes and washers between spikes and floor.

The bass performance got more precise and lost its booming.

I can recommend to look for the best solution for coupling or decoupling.

Cheers
Babak

Old 02-21-14, 01:55 PM   #29
Senior Shackster

Ottawa Canada
My System

If one hears that much bass improvement from using spikes, I would seriously question the inertness of the speaker cabinet and the over quality of the loudspeaker as a whole.

Old 02-21-14, 02:21 PM   #30
Shackster

Babak
Since: Mar 2009
Vienna

As it is with all written communication - also here is a lot of room for subjective interpretation.

What you understand as "booming " might be something different than what I wanted to express.

The bass performance was not bad before.
It improved with using spikes and got more contours.

How should simply putting a speaker on spikes compensate for a bad resonating speaker cabinet???
If it would help, manufacturers could save costs by putting drivers into cardboard boxes and put them on spikes that only cost a couple of cents.

I guess most people agree that 4 plastic casters don't provide such a steady standing as 3 spikes do.

So it was more a matter of degrees of freedom for the whole speaker to move rather than the quality of the speaker cabinet.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > System Setup and Connection »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »