OTA antenna and system set up - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > System Setup and Connection
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 3042 - Replies: 35  
Old 09-07-13, 12:29 PM   #1
Senior Shackster

Since: Jan 2011
Louisville, Kentucky
My System
I started this thread.
OTA antenna and system set up

We are probably dropping cable TV service in November and hooking up an OTA antenna. I understand that I need to connect an optical cable from the TV to my Onkyo 709 AVR. To watch TV and listen through the AVR do I select the TV input and then control the volume with the AVR?

Any other tips for an OTA setup?

Living Room-JVC AV-48WP30, Sony DAV-HDX500 HTIB,
Family Room-JVC LT-32X667, Sony BDP-S350, ATT Uverse DVR
Basement-Panasonic TC-P50X1, Sony BDP-S360, Onkyo TX-NR709, Energy C-C50, Energy C-200, Sony SA-W2500, Apple TV, WII, PS3 Super Slim, Mohu Leaf OTA

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-13, 01:35 PM   #2
Shackster

eyespy39
Since: Aug 2013
Germany
My System
Re: OTA antenna and system set up

According to its manual, the TV doesn't sport HDMI A.R.C., so you need to connect digital audio as you suggested. Since "Viera connect" seems to be just Panasonic's name for HDMI-CEC, you might be able to use it to control audio output via TV or your AVR completely from the TV. Just turn "Viera Link" on in the TV and HDMI-CEC on in the AVR.
Then, to switch audio out, select "Viera Link" -> "Audio Output" -> "your AVR". If it works as it ought to, you can turn the volume up and down with the TV's remote.
Your proposed method should work in any case, even if Viera Link a.k.a. HDMI-CEC fails…

Old 09-07-13, 02:26 PM   #3
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

Ray
Since: Jan 2008
Albuquerque, NM
My System

We 'cut the cable' a couple years ago, streaming most of our material and an OTA for local channels. If you have not chosen an antenna yet, this is the one we use with great results:

Antennas direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc...ntennas+direct

Note, that pretty much any outdoor antenna will work, so if you already have one, it will be fine. This one just has a smaller footprint than some of the large mutli-element type.

As eyespy39 stated and you, yes, you'll have to connect the audio to your AVR to get audio through your system with your current setup.

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!

Old 09-07-13, 03:43 PM   #4
Senior Shackster

Brandon
Since: Oct 2011
Utah
My System

As an even less expensive option to some of the OTA antenna options out there to purchase there are many DIY antennas that work great. I built one for under $5 and it works awesome. Used aluminum foil, metal clothes hangers, scrap wood, and a cheap 75 ohm coax balun. I wish I remembered the site where I found mine, but it's one of the antennas with the four "Vees" on each side.

Old 09-07-13, 04:23 PM   #5
Senior Shackster

Since: Feb 2012
HOUSTON TEXAS
My System

Warning depending on where you live check your channel listings to see if your local stations are all on UHF
or some could be using VHF bands all still digital but some HD small footprint OTA's will have a problem receiving VHF channels below 7 and 6. This is why I went with a Channel Master all band 100 inch boom.

Old 09-07-13, 05:24 PM   #6
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
My System

Quote:
OZZIERP wrote: View Post
Warning depending on where you live check your channel listings to see if your local stations are all on UHF
or some could be using VHF bands all still digital but some HD small footprint OTA's will have a problem receiving VHF channels below 7 and 6. This is why I went with a Channel Master all band 100 inch boom.
Very good point! All of our HD channels are on the UHF band. I did have a large boom antenna up before, but was unsightly and for our area the compact version works great.

Ray

Old 09-07-13, 08:56 PM   #7
Senior Shackster

Since: Jan 2011
Louisville, Kentucky
My System
I started this thread.

Thanks for all the replies. I am considering a Winegard HD 7694P High Definition VHF/UHF antenna to install on the roof or a Mohu Leaf antenna to try indoors. Plus I am waiting for a quote from an installer for his opinion of what antenna to use and how much to install it on the roof.

All the broadcast towers are in the same area so one antenna should work.

TV fool report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aecba9964d0a

Living Room-JVC AV-48WP30, Sony DAV-HDX500 HTIB,
Family Room-JVC LT-32X667, Sony BDP-S350, ATT Uverse DVR
Basement-Panasonic TC-P50X1, Sony BDP-S360, Onkyo TX-NR709, Energy C-C50, Energy C-200, Sony SA-W2500, Apple TV, WII, PS3 Super Slim, Mohu Leaf OTA

Last edited by browndk26; 09-08-13 at 07:15 PM..

Old 09-09-13, 01:17 AM   #8
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

Ray
Albuquerque, NM
My System

That's great, let us know how it worked out for you.

Ray

Old 09-09-13, 01:21 AM   #9
Senior Shackster

Since: Feb 2012
HOUSTON TEXAS
My System

There is another advantage if you get a rotor to go with your all band and thats to look up the nearest town or city outside of yours and see if you can pick it up because certain weather conditions I can get Austin and Bryan College Station from my North Houston residence.

Old 09-09-13, 04:08 AM   #10
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Silly Girl!
Since: Jan 2009
Central AL

Note that digital channels can be harder to pick up than the old analog channels. Anything in between you and the transmitter tower, such as hills or buildings, can attenuate the signal greatly. I suggest getting the largest antenna that you are comfortable putting up. If the transmitters are not in the same general area you will need a rotator. Changes in seasons can make a difference if you have trees in your yard - leaves can also attenuate the signal. Be sure you can reliably get the OTA channels before cutting the cable.

Hug your pet today!

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > System Setup and Connection »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »