Toshiba 42HP66 has sound, but no picture - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 01-13-09, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Tony

Toshiba 42HP66 has sound, but no picture

Date on this Plasma TV is February 2006.

This set is in our Master Bedroom and is hardly used. It was on for about 5 minutes then I heard a pop...then so picture. I can still hear the sound, though.

I searched online a this doesn't seem to be that uncommon of a problem. But I can't find anyone with any difinitive solutions. Any ideas?

I suppose it's off to my neighborhood service center for a visit. Has anyone had this issue that might have a rough idea of what is going on and a ball park figure I could expect this visit to cost me?

Thanks for any input.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-13-09, 02:09 PM
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Toshiba 42HP66 has sound, but no picture

Sounds like it needs some troubleshooting. Are there any LEDs lit or flashing?

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-13-09, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Tony

Green LED on bottom right corner of panel is light when on. Red when off. Can change channels and hear different shows, just have a completely black screen.

Thanks for replying.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-13-09, 03:45 PM
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru

I could only guess...find a servicer who has experience with Toshiba PDPs.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-13-09, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Tony

Will do, thx.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-01-09, 03:08 PM
Charlie

Did you ever get this TV serviced to see what the problem was, I am having the same problem with mine.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-04-09, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Tony

I found an authorized service center and still have not made it over to them.

I actually forgot about it...too many honey do's on the list. The model I have was one of the first plasma Toshiba built and has a history of this issue. But I can't give you an exact answer until I have it looked at.

I'm glad you reminded me. I'll try to get it over to them this week.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-13-10, 07:57 PM
Labrat

I have the same model. Purchased in April 2006. Tonight I heard a loud "zap", almost like a huge static crack, and the picture went dead. Prior to this I didn't notice any warning sign except that I have been noticing green snow for quite a while but after watching for a while, my eyes must adjust to it. After cooling down for 2 hours, still no picture. I probably will not try to get this repaired, but will hang onto it in case I find someone to look at it. I think that the prices and quality are much improved from '06 and will probably replace it with a 42" LCD.
I still would love to know what is wrong with this set and wil ltry to call Toshiba tomorrow. I will post anything I find out.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-13-10, 10:26 PM
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru

The most common problem that occurs with a large "crack", "snap", or "pop" sound is a failure in the YSUS or YDrive areas. That is just a wild guess, however, and the set will require examination to detemine the nature of the problem.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-20-10, 09:45 PM
Randy

Regarding the 42HP66 with no picture...

That sound you heard was the infamous 'pop of death" This model TV was prone to do that. I have one that I was given and this was also the issue. The Ysus board had a large driver chip fail. When these sets were made there was an adhesive spacer pad on the back of the Ysus and Zsus boards. The glue on these pads conducted enough electrical current through them that the driver chip failed. The ysus boards are commonly available rebuilt on ebay for around $100. I would highly recommend having a technician replace it or at least someone familiar with working around High Voltage. (these things will shock the living snot out of you if you're not careful ) The service manual is available for this on ebay as well. My set lost the Ysus and the XRlt interface board. The Ysus replacement restored the picture but the right side was distorted, replacing the Xrlt board (another $20 on Ebay) restored the full picture. Now all I need is a stand, the people who had this set mounted it on a wall and had tossed the stand. So if anyone has one of these sets that they're not planning to repair, I would LOVE to buy a stand from them.