My uncles dedicated stereo room - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 03-24-15, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

My uncles dedicated stereo room

I finally got my uncle to send me some photos of him room. Ya... kinda nuts, he has cooling on the amps to channel outside into the laundry room and baskets in odd ball places he says is an effective diffusion setup same with the floor stuff he has. He made some diffusion strips out of 2x6 lumber that is stained and are located in the corners, he use to have 6 of the ACS tube traps but is down to just one behind his head which not sure why but oh well. he built is QRD panels that are stained on the rear/sides of his room you can see some cables thrown over one of them, he also made the big blag resonating absorb er and the Helmholtz panels in the back since he had an issue with a particular frequency. His gear, for what I do know about the stuff:

Krell FPB 350mc monoblocks
Audio Research Ref 600s
Apogee Duetta II Signatures
Basis Audio deck
tons of tube FM tuners
lots of other stuff
more stuff
All mapleshade isolation blocks under the amps/speakers/preamp/table

He use to have a couch at the listening position but got rid of it and opted for the computer chair which can be seen in one of the photos. He switches from the krells to the ref 600s depending on what he feels like listening to. he has a few of the wet cleaning machines for his LPs, and a few older but high end tube testers laying around too.

He is my inspiration to continue to never be happy and always desire more/better

Figured I'd share
Attached Thumbnails
My uncles dedicated stereo room-small1.jpg  

My uncles dedicated stereo room-small2.jpg  

My uncles dedicated stereo room-small3.jpg  

My uncles dedicated stereo room-small4.jpg  

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"

Last edited by Talley; 03-24-15 at 03:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 03-24-15, 03:28 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Thanks for sharing! I've been wondering what his room looks like. Ironically if you shrunk the speakers down, it looks suspiciously like my 12 year old sons room(minus the fords randomly placed). I'm sure the crane has a purpose with the thing hanging from it but I can't figure what. Lol
post #3 of 41 Old 03-24-15, 03:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Alex

Baskets and bricks all over the floor?

That's the busiest audio room I think I've ever seen. How does he get around?
DEANO222 likes this.

post #4 of 41 Old 03-24-15, 03:34 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
jamesfrazier wrote: View Post
Baskets and bricks all over the floor? That's the busiest audio room I think I've ever seen. How does he get around?
THATS what the crane is for! I knew it had a purpose.
post #5 of 41 Old 03-24-15, 03:45 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: My uncles dedicated stereo room

WOW

Looks like WAF is not a factor. If that was me I would sell some equipment and contact GIK. That room would be killer with some properly tuned and placed treatment. No need for guess and check and make shift treatment in this day and age.
post #6 of 41 Old 03-24-15, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
Thanks for sharing! I've been wondering what his room looks like. Ironically if you shrunk the speakers down, it looks suspiciously like my 12 year old sons room(minus the fords randomly placed). I'm sure the crane has a purpose with the thing hanging from it but I can't figure what. Lol
He has all sorts of stuff all over the place. His logic... anything helps break out the sound.

Quote:
jamesfrazier wrote: View Post
Baskets and bricks all over the floor?

That's the busiest audio room I think I've ever seen. How does he get around?
Haha... ya he gets that alot. The bricks/baskets acts as diffusion for the floor... I thought he was crazy so he removed them from the floor... played me a song... then replayed the same song while he put them back. by the time he got to the end of the song I was floored at hearing the difference as he was putting more in. It does work.

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #7 of 41 Old 03-24-15, 03:46 PM
HTS Reviewer

The definition of a man cave.
Tuffmutt1 likes this.

post #8 of 41 Old 03-24-15, 03:47 PM
Senior Shackster

Alex

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
THATS what the crane is for! I knew it had a purpose.
Haha good eye. Didn't really see how many little today's he had laying around. I did see a microwave though, when he decides to listen, he must hermit himself for pretty long time periods haha.
post #9 of 41 Old 03-24-15, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

I forgot to mention he took his Apogee's apart and refinished them with some paint and added some insulating paint additive from here: http://www.hytechsales.com/

he said that this helps hide the sides of the speakers because they absorb higher frequencies.

Master Electrician

post #10 of 41 Old 03-24-15, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

He told me he is at 1,000 cd's and 3,000 LP's. And now his system is dialed in after 12 years of building his room to the point where he just wants to collect more music now. He wants another 2,000+ LP's.

Yes, he listens for 8hrs at a time... his system gives 0 fatigue but he mainly listens around 80-85db too to help not fatigue his ears.... until he plays pink floyd he says you have to play pink floyd at 95db... no questions asked.

Master Electrician