Are my DACs up to the task? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > HiFi Audio Components | Music > Two Channel Audio
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 1733 - Replies: 11  
Old 11-08-09, 12:55 PM   #1
Senior Shackster

Mike
Since: Dec 2008
DFW
I started this thread.
Are my DACs up to the task?

First, thank you for vewing and sharing your thoughts on this post with me.
After several months of research and thought, I decided my next upgrade would be a music-streaming device. I looked at the Sonas, Transporter, Squeeze Box, ( single room application) and am looking forward to checking out the Logitech Touch that just came out. Several have told me that it would offer me a wider range of flexibility if I just got the transport without the built in DACís, like the appealing Transporter, and added a separate DAC of my choice, after thought I can see where they have an excellent point.
So Question? How about if I just let the Burr Browns (24-bit/192-KHz PCM-1791) that are included in my Denon 988 do the job and save money to boot. What kind of quality of sound can I expect? CD quality?
Thanks again

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-09, 01:13 PM   #2
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System
Re: Are my DACs up to the task?

Your bigger issue will be what format your music will be in. Your Denon will do a decent job handling most of what you throw at it however DACs have come along ways in the last 5 years.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Old 11-08-09, 02:11 PM   #3
Senior Shackster

Mike
Since: Dec 2008
DFW
I started this thread.

From what I have read FLAC would be the best. Then internet radio?if my terminoligy is right. The 988 is the same as the 2808CI that both were new in 2008 so the DAC teck on them is not that old I would think.
Thanks for the reply

Old 11-16-09, 12:32 AM   #4
Senior Shackster

Josuah
Since: Apr 2006
San Jose, CA

The chip itself is only part of the equation. Even two pieces of gear with the same DAC chip can sound very different because of the analog output stage and other considerations.

Reference: MacBook, Neko Audio D100 Mk2, Anthem TLP-1, Wyred 4 Sound ST-500, Acoustic Zen Crescendo, Behringer DCX2496/EP2500 + 4x15" Sealed Sub
HT: OPPO DV-981H, Sony PS3 Slim, Marantz AV8003, Emotiva MPS-1, Acoustic Zen Crescendo/Adagio Jr, Behringer DCX2496/EP2500 + 4x15" Sealed Sub, Epson Cinema Home 6500UB
Aux: Wii, Sony PS3, Neko Audio D100, Musical Fidelity M6i, Onix Reference 3, SVS SB12-NSD, Panasonic TC-P50S1
HP: iMac, Neko Audio D100 Mk2, Donald North Audio Sonett, Audeze LCD-2

Old 01-30-10, 06:24 PM   #5
Shackster

Kirk
Since: Jan 2010
San Francisco

Computer Audiophile dot com has loads of valuable information regarding current DAC models.

Old 11-07-11, 11:11 PM   #6
Senior Shackster

HionHiFi
Since: Feb 2007
Carmichael, Ca
My System

Quote:
olddog wrote: View Post
First, thank you for vewing and sharing your thoughts on this post with me.
After several months of research and thought, I decided my next upgrade would be a music-streaming device. I looked at the Sonas, Transporter, Squeeze Box, ( single room application) and am looking forward to checking out the Logitech Touch that just came out. Several have told me that it would offer me a wider range of flexibility if I just got the transport without the built in DAC’s, like the appealing Transporter, and added a separate DAC of my choice, after thought I can see where they have an excellent point.
So Question? How about if I just let the Burr Browns (24-bit/192-KHz PCM-1791) that are included in my Denon 988 do the job and save money to boot. What kind of quality of sound can I expect? CD quality?
Thanks again
One thing to remember about the Transporter is that it has a state of the art D/A Converter built in with inputs and a remote control. Something most DAC's don't have. You won't need a separate DAC. Stereophile did a glowing review of the Transporter some time ago. Google it.

A music streaming device will be much more versatile than a CD Player, however keep in mind that alot of your preferred music will not be available in soft copy at standard resolution or high resolution. Thus you must purchase a CD unless you want to settle for the mp3 version. I have squeezebox touch myself and it has pretty much revolutionized how I listen to music.

I think the DAC's inside the Denon 988 will do the job but the analog section my leave something to be desired in sound quality as compared to a high quality separate DAC.

HionHiFi

My System
HDTV: Panasonic TH-42PX80U | Preamplifier/DAC: Krell Showcase 7.1 | Digital Source: Squeezebox Touch | Sources: PS3, Squeezebox Touch (24/192 Mod) | Speakers: Ohm Walsh 5, PBN Audio Pennywise | Subwoofer: Sunfire TruSub Signature | Power Conditioner: API PowerPack V | Cables: Signal Power, MIT, Frozen | Accessories: Homebrew x2 Isolation Platforms

Old 01-24-12, 03:57 PM   #7
Elite Shackster

Gary
Since: Jun 2011
My System

"I think the DAC's inside the Denon 988 will do the job but the analog section my leave something to be desired in sound quality as compared to a high quality separate DAC."

+1 on that. If the DACs in your Denon are 24-bit/192-KHz, then (all things being equal) they are capable of better than "red book" CD quality (16 bit/44.1-kHz). Streaming music introduces a lot of other variables: format, streaming device, streaming source, etc.

HOWEVER, if the question is simply "are my DACs up to the task?" then the answer is yes. Again, all other things being equal (that's assuming an awful lot) you can expect CD quality...or better based just on the DACs.

Old 01-24-12, 04:02 PM   #8
Elite Shackster

Gary
My System

Lots of info here, too:

http://www.audiostream.com/

Old 03-12-12, 02:06 AM   #9
Shackster

Since: Apr 2010
My System

IMO the analog output stage and preamp are far more important that a DAC chip that might have a few more db of noise suppression. Although certainly there's been a rage over DACs lately with the ESS Sabre lineup.

Old 03-13-12, 11:06 AM   #10
Elite Shackster

Gary
My System

"IMO the analog output stage and preamp are far more important..."

I agree, but I think that one of the reasons that DACs are such a popular upgrade is their low cost (compared to replacing a preamp, for example). You can spend mega bucks on a new DAC, but you can usually find a highly rated budget model.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > HiFi Audio Components | Music > Two Channel Audio »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »