Vintage Stereo Gear - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #91 of 118 Old 11-23-11, 10:09 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

Re: Vintage Stereo Gear

I have found real enjoyment from some of the old Carver gear. M-1.5t'-M-1.0ts and a TFM 25 and 35. Currently I am running a M-1.0t with a Denon 2808 for pre on my main 2 chan sys. Then I have a Carver C1 pre. along with a Carver TFM 25 for my "old school" vinyl system. I ran a Grant Tube Buffer on that one also and it sounds sweet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 11-28-11, 02:05 PM
Senior Shackster
HionHiFi

My System
Send a message via AIM to HionHiFi Send a message via Yahoo to HionHiFi Send a message via Skype™ to HionHiFi

I run a digital front end, but am ever enticed with buying a vintage 70's style turntable to begin my analog journey.

HionHiFi

My System
HDTV: Panasonic TH-42PX80U | Preamplifier/DAC: Krell Showcase 7.1 | Digital Source: Squeezebox Touch | Sources: PS3, Squeezebox Touch (24/192 Mod) | Speakers: Ohm Walsh 5, PBN Audio Pennywise | Subwoofer: Sunfire TruSub Signature | Power Conditioner: API PowerPack V | Cables: Signal Power, MIT, Frozen | Accessories: Homebrew x2 Isolation Platforms
post #93 of 118 Old 11-28-11, 06:36 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

Go for it. Tubz even do well behind a SS Pre. as I had them on the TT system for a while-beautifull but not enough vlume to drive the outdoor speakers as well. Thats why the tube buffer The upgraded Carver C1 though is just a Very Black Canvas-utterly outstanding for anything especially vinyl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #94 of 118 Old 12-02-11, 02:41 AM
Shackster

sony-es.com

Not sure if this classifies as vintage altough it is 20 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage Stereo Gear-sony_esprit25.jpg  

post #95 of 118 Old 12-02-11, 05:45 PM
Elite Shackster

2 channel view

My System

20 year old Sony ES gear qualifies in my book.

I bought one of the first ES 1 bit CD players years ago. I waited at least 2 years for that tech to hit the market, and I pounced when it did. Great player, I fed it directly into a Teac 3 head cassette deck via AudioQuest Topaz IC's, using AKG K 240 'phones, to make tapes for my insane 12V system. I had the Teac and the $600 Audia car unit tape heads aligned by a tech to ensure a good tracking match. NO auto reverse to be had on either deck.

That was back in the day when you had to make your own passive crossovers or suffer the single cap on the tweeter coaxials.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #96 of 118 Old 12-02-11, 07:42 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

It gets my vote for vintage. They realy made some great gear back then. They do now also but the realy good stuff is insanley expensive and in my humble opinion no better except in specific applications.

post #97 of 118 Old 12-02-11, 10:07 PM
Lon

Recently brought my JBL 4311s out of a long time in storage. They still sound great. At one time, a good while back, someone told me there were more hit tunes mixed on the 4311s than any other model. They were found in a lot of recording studios. The JBL Century L100 is a very similar model, sold to the home consumer market at around the same time. The L100 appears to be the speaker that is blowing away the Maxell Man in that famous ad picture for Maxell tapes. The old JBLs can still keep up with, or even outperform many modern speakers.
post #98 of 118 Old 12-02-11, 10:21 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

Know what you mean. My old B&W 805s just keep on trucking and sound great-and the old school Wharfedale horn loaded just won't quit. Buy quality and if you respect it , you will have it for years to come.

post #99 of 118 Old 12-03-11, 02:37 AM
Shackster

sony-es.com

Okay then, two votes are enough for putting up some more pictures.
http://www.sony-es.com/gallery/gerchy
Enjoy!
post #100 of 118 Old 12-16-11, 06:37 PM
Shackster

I have a 1976 Marantz 2220B that I love, a 1978 Technics SA200 that sounds pretty good, a 1984 Harman Kardon PM 650 that is mint and sounds great and a pair of 1984 Time Window 1As that are terrific. My son has a Luxman L80-V amp, 4 JBL Lancer S99 speakers and a Kenwood KA 305 amp. He spent a total of 110 dollars for the whole works and they are all mint. I raised him right. He's 27 now, but he's been a vintage Hi-Fi nut for years.