Vintage Stereo Gear - Page 11 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #101 of 118 Old 07-22-14, 07:56 PM
Shackster

Re: Vintage Stereo Gear

I'm a huge vintage fan, with a special soft spot for Kenwood. In fact I'm currently listening to my Baby Kenny KA-3500 and Sony CDP-70. The Kenny has very clean sound and great specs:
Power output: 40 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
Total harmonic distortion: 0.2%
Signal to noise ratio: 76dB (MM), 90dB (line)
The Sony CDP is an original, 16bit and is super clean. I'm constantly surprised at it's clarity and detail.
Now I do help the system out just a little with some Paradigm Monitor 7's. I love the stage they present, and their ability to carry classical, country, rap and rock as well....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 118 Old 07-22-14, 08:23 PM
Senior Shackster

Kevin

My System

That does bring back memories. Back in '77, I thought I had 'arrived' when I bought a Kenwood KA-7100 and a pair of Large Advents. I had my old Voice of Music receiver that I used as a tuner, an Ampex cassette deck (don't remember the model and I've searched the Internet in vain), a Teac A-4010 (one of the units that did 4-track recording) and a Perpetuum Ebner PE2020 turntable. I still have that reel-to-reel, but it's been boxed away for decades. That was my first real system and I loved it. Part of me would love to have it back.

I do still have a pair of Acoustic Research AR91 loudspeakers from '81, which aren't boxed away (although not currently in use). They are in great shape, since I've restored them - was even able to obtain a pair of brand new, but original tweeters (about 12 years ago).

BTW, welcome to the forum. It's cool that your first post was about the music to which you were listening.
post #103 of 118 Old 07-23-14, 09:26 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
I had a longer relationship with my Sansui G-7500 and Pioneer HPM-100'S than I did with my first wife.

post #104 of 118 Old 08-12-14, 04:09 PM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System

I also have soft spot for Kenwood. After I ditched my Fisher receiver in the 70's I also moved up to the Kenwood KA-7100 along with KT-7300. Few years later I bought the Kenwood KA-907 along with the KT-917 tuner. I still regret selling the KT-917 2 years ago. It's still one of the favorite tuner mods.
post #105 of 118 Old 09-06-14, 12:07 PM
Shackster

Love that there is a Vintage Audio thread..

Here is my equipment..

Sansui
AU-111, AU-919, TU-717, SR-212, AU-555,

Marantz
32+33, 250M, 2330B

Yamaha
CR-1020, CR-2020, CA-1010

JBL 4312, Vandersteens 2Ci, ELAC 184
post #106 of 118 Old 11-04-14, 05:13 PM
Shackster

I had a college system with Micro Acoustics FRM-1A speakers, Nikko STA-9090 receiver, Shure V15 cartridge, a Technics turntable and can't remember the tape deck. They really rocked at the time. They were stolen twenty years ago, but I am finding equipment on ebay to bring back the old memories. I recently purchased a pair of Micro Acoustics FRM-1A speakers and plan to spruce them up and will post progress in the DYI thread. Also bought a STA 5055 Nikko to go with them. Kind of underpowered for the speakers.
post #107 of 118 Old 11-16-14, 08:55 AM

This thread brings back memories. I also have a Kenwood KA7100 with matching receiver. Love that old setup with my first set of ESS Model 8 speakers. For many years I had the ESS paired with a Nakamichi receiver and a Pioneer turntable. One of my favorite amps has been for many years a Fisher X100 control amp with 7189a output tubes. Not a power house amp but very sweet with almost any book shelf speakes.
post #108 of 118 Old 11-16-14, 02:20 PM
Senior Shackster

BJ

My System
I had a Kenwood KD-500 with a signet arm and an Adcom Van Den Hul moving coil cartilage. I sold it and went to CD's.never really liked CD's. Using Flac files now which I love. My preamp does have a phono card. Don't think I can go back to records. Also liked my Shure V15.
post #109 of 118 Old 03-10-15, 06:40 PM

Bob

My System

Phase Linear/Carver/Sunfire

PL 4000/400 1975

Carver MXR-130/Carver Platinum Amazing Loudspeakers 1988

Sunfire Next
post #110 of 118 Old 01-17-16, 09:56 AM
Shackster
Captn Jack

Here is part of my Vintage set up.

Sansui 5500 Quad from 1973
4 home made speakers with crossovers built over 40 years ago. Still sound great
Sansui reverb. 60's
Technics direct drive turntable 70's
Pioneer 10'real to reel 60's
Kicker system to play my Zune into then through the stereo system.
and over 100 vinyl records in there original covers from the 60's-70's