2 Channel Picture Gallery - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 203 Old 11-05-11, 01:37 PM
Shackster

Re: 2 Channel Picture Gallery

Oh... how I miss my Cremona Auditors. Good catch there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 203 Old 11-07-11, 04:51 PM
Shackster
(Cheshire Cat)

Quote:
kwadzilla wrote: View Post
Oh... how I miss my Cremona Auditors. Good catch there!
Hy kwad. Try the new Cremona Auditor M (maybe a little more analytical but...)

Regards

Danilo
post #13 of 203 Old 11-08-11, 04:32 PM
Shackster

Danilo, I did listen to the 'M' version while I still had the Auditors. My days of marginal upgrades were well behind me. When I started out, I moved from the Paradigm Mini Monitor, to Monitor 7, to Studio 40 all in less than three years and spent alot of money on that path.

At the time of bringing in the Auditor, I was torn between the Reference 3A Veena; they were available at different boutiques. The fella selling the SF speakers was clearing them out at half price, and thought it was a steal so jumped on it.

Recently I came across a used Veena pair in excellent shape so i brought those in and did a side by side comparison. The two speakes both great in their own way, but perhaps because the Veena was 'different' I was appreciate its presentation more. The Veena had more detail and transparency, and better speed. The Auditor, as all SF speakers in that range, just have that special tone that seems to connect you to the music. I decided on the Veena as I had an offer from a buyer who was offering more than I paid for them!!

Reference 3A is offering updates to the Veena, from tweaks to the driver and replacing the capacitor on the tweeter to brass screws and finer connecting wire within.

I won't turn down an opportunity to listen to SF again, though...

Last edited by kwadzilla; 11-08-11 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added some
post #14 of 203 Old 11-10-11, 08:22 PM
Senior Shackster

I initially wasn't going to post my system because it is only partially completed. It is at a stand still, for lack of funds for the foreseeable future. I decided to post it for your comments and advice. Though not completed it is quite superb sounding for its simple direct approach.

System:
1990 Yamaha cdx450 cd player using its variable output > Audio Electronics Super Amp MkII power amp > 1979 Altec Lansing Model 15 speakers. All cabling is Kimber Kable. Target Audio equipment rack w/ 2" thick maple shelves.

Nearest Goal:
Upgrading current cd player to a modern 24 bit cd player w/ analogue variable output.

Long term goal:
Adding tube preamp w/ phono and turntable.

Last edited by mjcmt; 02-18-13 at 03:35 PM.
post #15 of 203 Old 11-10-11, 08:30 PM
Inactive
Ty

Those speakers must thump.
post #16 of 203 Old 11-10-11, 08:33 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: 2 Channel Picture Gallery/Mantown

Quote:
Alex2507 wrote: View Post
This gives you the over all view. I had to use the flash because of the window.

Do you get any work done at your desk with that smokin' system. Or is it primarily for gaming?

I can identify with your AR-XB turntable. I sold mine w/ Shure M91ED cartridge last year, and have regrets.
post #17 of 203 Old 11-10-11, 08:37 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
TypeA wrote: View Post
Those speakers must thump.
If your talking about the Altecs. They are actually super clean sounding and articulate w/ a subdued bass, but they are about as unboxy sounding as you cab get and dynamic as all get out.
post #18 of 203 Old 11-10-11, 08:42 PM
Inactive
Ty

Quote:
mjcmt wrote: View Post
dynamic as all get out.
Yeah thats what I was referring to. Original 12" drivers?
post #19 of 203 Old 11-11-11, 05:30 AM
Senior Shackster

Yes, a 12" Altec driver running full range with no crossover on the woofer. Very clear and pure. The horn uses Altec Tangerine 802-8G compression driver in a bent radial horn, again very articulate without harshness. These are one astounding 2-way speaker.
post #20 of 203 Old 11-13-11, 06:16 AM
Shackster

Alex

Re: 2 Channel Picture Gallery/Mantown

Quote:
mjcmt wrote: View Post
Do you get any work done at your desk with that smokin' system. Or is it primarily for gaming?

I can identify with your AR-XB turntable. I sold mine w/ Shure M91ED cartridge last year, and have regrets.
Thanks but I'm not bright enough to work or game at a desk with a computer. It's all for listening to some tunes while surfing the net. That TT sort of fell into my lap and has been a bit of a fixer upper. It enables me to rifle through the $1/album assortment of records found at second hand stores. It's a great way for me to check out music that I would otherwise never hear. Same goes for that Sony 300 disc CD changer. Second hand store pricing on CD's is $2. Now I'm wanting to spend some money on a headshell and cartridge but regardless of what my girl thinks I am not spending a lot on audio ... read: I'm cheap.

The price tag on your amp sucked all the air out of my room. Congrats on that.
One day I'd like to give one of those a listen.