Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Channel Picture Gallery

87K views 203 replies 53 participants last post by  Todd Anderson 
#1 ·
Let's see what you have! Behemoth amps, turntables, planar speakers, tubes, from the exotic to the modest (like mine).

This is what has been going on at my house lately, I am trying out new speakers and having fun.

Loudspeaker Sound box Subwoofer Audio equipment Studio monitor

Room Loudspeaker Furniture Audio equipment Property

Loudspeaker Subwoofer Audio equipment Electronics Studio monitor

Electronics Technology Electronic device Audio equipment Cd player

Electronics Audio equipment Electronic device Technology

Electronics Record player Technology Electronic device Media player

I just bought a pair of omni-directional speakers, I'll get pics up soon. Next... constant directivity speakers, maybe?

Now, show us what you have! :hiya:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Hi, This is my listening room (photos are not that great, sorry for this..).

Rega P3, Micromega Duo, Klimo Merlino, Mc2100 and Cremona Auditor.

This is the computer I'm using for the measurements with REW and I'm going to connect to the system.

is on the opposite side of the room, I'm still trying to find the best way to connect it to the stereo.

[edit]Oops. I misspelled the model of McIntosh, who of course is Mc2100[/edit]

#4 ·
Nice pictures, guys!

Gorb, I run my mains full range, the subs have a 4th order low pass. I do choose to stuff the ports of some speakers to better aid integration with my sealed subs.

X-Omni, freaky good imaging.

Audio equipment Computer speaker Technology Loudspeaker Electronic device

Loudspeaker Subwoofer Audio equipment Computer speaker Sound box

Living room Room Furniture Property Couch

#5 · (Edited)
Re: 2 Channel Picture Gallery/Mantown

This is about the cleanest shot of the gear after I installed a Yamaha RX-V2600.

... a little more up close and personal.

This gives you the over all view. I had to use the flash because of the window.

... a left.

... and a right.

The speakers are Dayton BR-1's and the Carver amp on the right sub runs the DIY subs.

Phillip, I recognize the box you are using to get your rec'r off the floor. :wave:

#9 ·
Let's see what you have! Behemoth amps, turntables, planar speakers, tubes, from the exotic to the modest (like mine).

This is what has been going on at my house lately, I am trying out new speakers and having fun.

View attachment 32902

View attachment 32903

View attachment 32904

View attachment 32905

View attachment 32906

View attachment 32907

I just bought a pair of omni-directional speakers, I'll get pics up soon. Next... constant directivity speakers, maybe?

Now, show us what you have! :hiya:
Nicely photographed at describing your very nice system.
I'll take your Exposure integrated amp. I've always wanted to try one of their amps because of all the positive comment from owners and the UK press. But when it comes time to making a purchase, I've got cold feet. Congrats!

#10 ·
Thank you! The Exposure is a treat, the passive pre means that the source drives the amplifier directly. Nice and clean. Check out the S2 version and wait no longer. :T

Appreciate the pics thus far, lets see what the rest of you have!

#13 · (Edited)
Danilo, I did listen to the 'M' version while I still had the Auditors. My days of marginal upgrades were well behind me. When I started out, I moved from the Paradigm Mini Monitor, to Monitor 7, to Studio 40 all in less than three years and spent alot of money on that path.

At the time of bringing in the Auditor, I was torn between the Reference 3A Veena; they were available at different boutiques. The fella selling the SF speakers was clearing them out at half price, and thought it was a steal so jumped on it.

Recently I came across a used Veena pair in excellent shape so i brought those in and did a side by side comparison. The two speakes both great in their own way, but perhaps because the Veena was 'different' I was appreciate its presentation more. The Veena had more detail and transparency, and better speed. The Auditor, as all SF speakers in that range, just have that special tone that seems to connect you to the music. I decided on the Veena as I had an offer from a buyer who was offering more than I paid for them!!

Reference 3A is offering updates to the Veena, from tweaks to the driver and replacing the capacitor on the tweeter to brass screws and finer connecting wire within.

I won't turn down an opportunity to listen to SF again, though...

#14 · (Edited)
I initially wasn't going to post my system because it is only partially completed. It is at a stand still, for lack of funds for the foreseeable future. I decided to post it for your comments and advice. Though not completed it is quite superb sounding for its simple direct approach.

System:
1990 Yamaha cdx450 cd player using its variable output > Audio Electronics Super Amp MkII power amp > 1979 Altec Lansing Model 15 speakers. All cabling is Kimber Kable. Target Audio equipment rack w/ 2" thick maple shelves.

Nearest Goal:
Upgrading current cd player to a modern 24 bit cd player w/ analogue variable output.

Long term goal:
Adding tube preamp w/ phono and turntable.

#22 · (Edited)
I initially wasn't going to post my system because it is only partially completed. It is at a stand still, for lack of funds for the foreseeable future. I decided to post it for your comments and advice. Though not completed it is quite superb sounding for its simple direct approach.

System:
1990 Yamaha cdx450 cd player using its variable output > Audio Electronics Super Amp MkII power amp > 1979 Altec Lansing Model 15 speakers. All cabling is Kimber Kable. Target Audio equipment rack w/ 2" thick maple shelves.
I added a Mac c37 preamp and mr77 tuner. Came across them for a great price because they needed repair. I was able to accomplish the easy fix on the preamp so it is up and running, except I'm missing the remote which are near impossible to find. The tuner needs to go in for a re-calibration, because it will not pick up weak and marginal stations, but is fine on the powerful stations.

When I came across these pieces I thought maybe I'd use them for a 2 channel HT system with my DIY SEAS Froy III speakers after I find a Mac SS 2 channel amp for a super price. In the mean time I installed it in my existing music system. Sound is now fuller w better bass, more musical, and a smooth clarity vs. the audiophile detail. Music has soul to its presentation.

Here is what it consists of:
AES Superamp 2 amp, McIntosh C37 pre /MR77 tuner, Altec Model 15 speaker, Yamaha CDX450 cdp, Target Audio Rack, Kimber and MIT cabling.

#19 ·
Yes, a 12" Altec driver running full range with no crossover on the woofer. Very clear and pure. The horn uses Altec Tangerine 802-8G compression driver in a bent radial horn, again very articulate without harshness. These are one astounding 2-way speaker.

#21 · (Edited)
Well, let's see - looking at the pictures posted thus far has motivated me to finally crank out part I of a system block diagram. Not an original idea, I've seen others with block diagrams and really liked them - this one was done on Microsoft Visio, then exported as a JPEG picture.

2ch whole house system diagram:

2ch Main System Diagram: (center ch components final, to be repackaged in custom enclosure)

Amp Rack:

Prototype / Test Speaker System:

#23 · (Edited)
^ I like those Altec's. Real nice - I used 802 drivers on 811 & 511 sectoral horns back in the day when starting up with a mobile DJ business. System ran rear horn loaded bottom end with Altec, then JBL 2205 15" woofers.

Altec Sectoral Horns

They were the first high end horns I have experience with. After listening to horns, for me there is no going back. :)

(The McIntosh gear is real pretty too)

#24 ·
After listening to horns, for me there is no going back. :)
Absolutely! Adding constant directivity speakers to a system has roughly the same effect as acoustically treating the room.

Dual-500 and mjcmt, you have two extremes going here. One is a highly processed system dialed into the room and user taste, the other is a minimalist approach. Good to see, guys!

#31 ·

#43 ·
^ I ran Altec 511's and 811's with the 802 D's back in the late 70's in a mobile DJ system. JBL 2205 15's for low end, in rear horn loaded JBL copy enclosures. Used JBL 2405's in numerous projects over the years and have 2206 12's and 2245 18's in current system.

The Altec 511 horns sound great and are very unique for sure - Voice of the Theatre era hardware.

I noticed some JBL pro looking drivers on the Sun Room system as well.

That cabinet work is sublime. The custom's in the guest room are interesting as well. Thanks for posting the link.

#46 ·
The Martin Logan Prodigy electrostats were my mains in the home theater until the Klipsch Jubilee horns moved in. These are from the Klipsch pro line and are sold as the speakers that go behind the screen at movie theaters. Although, these were custom ordered with South African mahogany in the Klipsch plant in Hope Arkansas. I also added the grills to make them more home friendly. While the they can play very loud the advantage to the large horns is they articulate very well at low volumes. It is like being able to hear a whisper very clearly. I use a EV DX-38 active crossover and biamp these.

#47 · (Edited)
Sweet gear. Here's one of my speakers, I gotta clean up a bit before I take a room shot.

The drivers are Sony XPLOD 12" subs, rated at 360 watts RMS each and wired parallel for a 2 ohm load in an acoustic suspension enclosure... More interestingly, the subs are good up to 1,000 Hz which was more than high enough for me to mate directly with my horns, which can go down to 600 Hz. Crossover is at 700 Hz (currently). The end result is a truly full-range 2-way system. Bi-amped with Crown XTi-2002 for the bass (1,000 watts/channel RMS @ 2 ohms), Crown XTi-1000 for the highs - crossover is achieved in the Crowns' DSP.

Here's a peek at the compression driver and horn. It's resting on a 40 lb slab of stone and a 10lb weight - the horn is covered in duct putty, this picture is before I put felt on the horn's flange and cleaned it up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.