Looking to build budget 2.1 system - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > HiFi Audio Components | Music > Two Channel Audio
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 3104 - Replies: 12  
Old 10-22-11, 12:51 AM   #1
Shackster

Ian
Since: Oct 2011
Ontario, Canada
I started this thread.
Looking to build budget 2.1 system

Hello everyone!

I am a student and I do various music mixing and listening at all volumes and I am looking for a nice 2.1 system for my dorm room (relatively small). I currently am using Bose companion 3 setup but I find it to be slightly lacking in the low end and with some distortion in the higher volume ranges. I play a lot of dance music featuring lots of synths as well as the occasional "dubstep" style song (heavy, modulated baselines). I am looking for a system which outperforms my Bose system in this respect and offers me a nice low end, full sound. The only source of audio will be from a computer. For an amplifier/receiver unit I do not require any special features other than 2.1 sound and relatively good sound quality. My budget is around 500-1000 dollars (student) and I have no problem buying used or refurbished gear or from places like eBay. I would love some advice or community input on what I should get that will serve me a nice full bassy sound for these types of music. If any other additional info is required or if I have left something out, please let me know. Thanks for the help!

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-11, 01:00 AM   #2
Shackster

Ian
Ontario, Canada
I started this thread.
Re: Looking to build budget 2.1 system

I should also mention that the speakers themselves would have to be of the bookshelf variety as space is at a premium, but any size sub will do as I have plenty of under-desk space. Thanks again!

Old 10-22-11, 08:18 AM   #3
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Since: Jul 2009
Siesta Key, Florida

Hello,
For 1000 Dollars, you could put together a really nice 2.1 setup. Especially, if also looking at used gear. I would highly recommend checking out Stereophile Magazine as they have a whole Section devoted to value gear and there are many Reviews there.

Just of the top of my head, I would look at used Parasound, Adcom, Rotel, and Acurus Amplifiers, Preamplifiers, and Integrated Amplifiers. Audiogon is a great place to look. For Speakers, I would seriously consider JBL Monitors from Sweetwater (Professional Audio Website) And for a Subwoofer, if running out of money, the Dayton Sub-120 from Parts Express provides stellar value.

Much of how your System comes together is predicated on if you feel comfortable spending all the way up to $1000. Also, choosing an Integrated Amplifier will save money. With these things being the case, you could possibly afford an amazing Subwoofer like the HSU VTF-2 MKIII.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer) Martin Logan Depth (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93, OPPO BDP-83 Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-51FD, OPPO DV-980H, Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS3 60 gb, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

Old 10-22-11, 10:36 AM   #4
Shackster

Ian
Ontario, Canada
I started this thread.

Hey, thanks for the reply. The JBL LSR2325P look like what I am looking for, but looking at the back they seem to have XLR inputs instead of the speaker wire terminals I am normally used too. I was looking at buying an old used amp but none of the ones I looked at seemed to have XLR outs. I guess my problem now lies with trying to find a quality amp with XLR outs for around 200 dollars or less, though i have no problem buying a used one.

Old 10-22-11, 11:58 AM   #5
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Jack
Since: Jul 2009
Siesta Key, Florida

Hello,
I believe the Behringer EP4000 would meet your needs as I am almost positive it has XLR's. Also, check out Crown Amplifiers as they have some Class D Amplifiers that are in that range.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer) Martin Logan Depth (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93, OPPO BDP-83 Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-51FD, OPPO DV-980H, Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS3 60 gb, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P60GT50, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910

Old 10-22-11, 12:54 PM   #6
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb
Since: Aug 2010
Calgary, Canada

Quote:
IanGutz wrote: View Post
Hello everyone!

I am a student and I do various music mixing and listening at all volumes and I am looking for a nice 2.1 system for my dorm room (relatively small). I currently am using Bose companion 3 setup but I find it to be slightly lacking in the low end and with some distortion in the higher volume ranges. I play a lot of dance music featuring lots of synths as well as the occasional "dubstep" style song (heavy, modulated baselines). I am looking for a system which outperforms my Bose system in this respect and offers me a nice low end, full sound. The only source of audio will be from a computer. For an amplifier/receiver unit I do not require any special features other than 2.1 sound and relatively good sound quality. My budget is around 500-1000 dollars (student) and I have no problem buying used or refurbished gear or from places like eBay. I would love some advice or community input on what I should get that will serve me a nice full bassy sound for these types of music. If any other additional info is required or if I have left something out, please let me know. Thanks for the help!
hey ian. Here`s what I recommend:

Speakers: http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?...0916&PT_ID=295

I`d get the speakers first and then decide later whether it`s really worth it to add a subwoofer. They are powered studio monitors so there isn`t much need for a receiver - they`ll hook up straight to your computer or PS3 etc. They use a long throw 5" woofer that'll really surprise you with its bass output in a small room, and have adjustable tone controls in case the smaller room adds too much bass or treble (I suspect you'll be best off leaving treble alone, and lowering the bass)

If at some point you do decide to add a sub, I recommend importing this from USA:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12_specs.html

With bass extension down to 14hz, in a small room, it'll be pretty much overkill - and i'm pretty sure it's got all the circuitry needed to blend it in seamlessly to mains without a receiver. A variable phase dial and an adjustable crossover are useful things to have

EDIT: and then.. i read the rest of the thread and see that Jungle Jack has already recommended the LSR2325Ps ( i do recommend getting from axe music so as to avoid any unwanted border duties)

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the reply. The JBL LSR2325P look like what I am looking for, but looking at the back they seem to have XLR inputs instead of the speaker wire terminals I am normally used too. I was looking at buying an old used amp but none of the ones I looked at seemed to have XLR outs. I guess my problem now lies with trying to find a quality amp with XLR outs for around 200 dollars or less, though i have no problem buying a used one.
An amp won't be necessary with a powered studio monitor and neither will you need to use the XLR inputs. All you need is a simple 3.5mm to RCA converter cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

This will hook it up to your laptop with an unbalanced connection to the sound card. A balanced connection will likely have less gain and so will require you to pick up a preamp - which is a lot of effort with little if any reward.

Old 10-22-11, 04:50 PM   #7
Shackster

Ian
Ontario, Canada
I started this thread.

Thanks for the great suggestions, looks like i'll pick up a set of JBLs then. I am just wondering how i will hook it all up between two speakers and a sub when the only output from my computer that I have is a single 3.5mm jack, I am using a MacBook pro if that makes any difference.

Old 10-22-11, 05:36 PM   #8
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb
Calgary, Canada

Quote:
Thanks for the great suggestions, looks like i'll pick up a set of JBLs then. I am just wondering how i will hook it all up between two speakers and a sub when the only output from my computer that I have is a single 3.5mm jack, I am using a MacBook pro if that makes any difference.
3.5mm to RCA cable will connect the macbook to the sub.
RCA to RCA cable will connect the sub to the speakers via line level outputs.

Old 10-22-11, 05:54 PM   #9
Shackster

Ian
Ontario, Canada
I started this thread.

Great. I'm going to go with the JBL monitors and the matching 2310SP sub. I am having trouble finding a Canadian dealer that has them in stock for the right price. Monoprice looks to be the ticket for the cables though, Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by IanGutz; 10-22-11 at 06:10 PM..

Old 10-23-11, 01:35 AM   #10
Elite Shackster

Kick logic 2 da curb
Calgary, Canada

Quote:
Great. I'm going to go with the JBL monitors and the matching 2310SP sub.
I don`t think the JBL sub is a very good deal. It`s expensive, but only uses a 10" driver and has no bass below 30hz despite being vented.

Besides online dealers, try calling around your local instrument/pro audio shops. The internet's not the only place to shop!

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > HiFi Audio Components | Music > Two Channel Audio »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »