New member, a few questions - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 12 Old 11-22-11, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
New member, a few questions

Hey everyone! Great forum you have here. Should be a good place to learn about my system.

I have a Panasonic Viera TC-P42ST30 plasma and Panasonic DMP-BDT110 blu-ray player, and I need some help as to how to connect a set of external analog 2.1 speakers which don't have HDMI or digital optical inputs.

The plasma only has digital audio output, with no RCA audio outs, and no headphone jack. The TV and the blu-ray are connected by a single HDMI cable. I don't have an AV receiver.

The speakers I want to connect are Klipsch ProMedia. This is a 2.1 powered sub w/satellites set, which uses a 3.5mm stereo miniplug to connect, and the left & right satellites just wire into the sub. I have neither the space or need for a huge 5.1 or 7.1 setup and wire bird-nests.

I have read through both the TV and the blu-ray manuals, but nothing I can find seems to address this issue. I don't want to have to spend extra $$$ just to buy a receiver to be able to connect speakers. From what I understand and have read, that I may need a digital to analog audio decoder converter. Found one on Amazon after much searching (can't post links here yet). Copy/paste this search into Amazon and you'll see the one I'm looking at:

5.1 Audio Gear Digital to Analog Audio Converter Adapter Digital Sound Decoder (Support Decoding Dolby AC3/DTS Audio)

Does anyone know if this is the correct solution for what I'm trying to do? If I connect the converter to the TV using a digital optical cable, then plug the speakers' cable into the converter's Front Left/Front Right blue output jack, should that give me 2-channel audio to my speakers? I hope so.

Just don't quite understand mfr's leaving out such a basic option which would add only a couple of $ to include backward-compatible outputs on newer sets
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 12 Old 11-23-11, 03:15 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
Re: New member, a few questions

Welcome aboard Gary.

I am sure someone here will offer a simple solution for you.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:
post #3 of 12 Old 11-23-11, 04:17 PM
Elite Shackster

Gary, this is going to be a tough one as the Promedia is a Computer Speaker Series and has no direct way to connect to a typical Home Theater Component. That is even if you purchased an AVR, the Speakers and AVR are not designed to work with each other. While something as you proposed might work, I really am not positive how well it will work.

I totally understand the desire to have a neat and clean setup. If you could provide a link to the Converter you are considering, I will do my best to ascertain how well it would work.

Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #4 of 12 Old 11-23-11, 05:04 PM
Senior Shackster
My System

I can understand your frustration but, if I were you, I'd sell the Klipsch set-up and replace it with an HTIB. You don't have to hook up the speakers that you don't want to use. Sometimes trying to get incompatible components to work together is just not worth the effort it takes.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-23-11, 06:28 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer
2 channel view
My System

Welcome to HTS, Gary!

Understand, the Klipsch ProMedia is meant to be a desktop system, not to fill a room with sound.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #6 of 12 Old 01-22-12, 05:46 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

Parts Express (and other companies) sell Toslink to RCA "converters" (basically an inexpensive DAC) for >$40-

It seems that your Klipsch Pro Media is self powered, so the "converter" above should be all that you need. I hope it helps.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-22-12, 05:50 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

Sorry, you probably need a cable (RCA to 3.5 stereo), too. Here are several from the same company- to 3.5 mm
post #8 of 12 Old 01-22-12, 09:32 PM
Senior Shackster

+1 on the PE 180-997 and cable; it will do exactly what you need it to do.

post #9 of 12 Old 01-22-12, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Found a solution to my speaker issue

Thanks everyone for your input. I eventually found this to be the solution to my speaker connectivity issue (currently out of stock on Amazon):

Cost was about $64. Well-built metal case and solid jacks and optical ports. Bright blue LED indicators and solid selector pushbuttons. Retains selected channel in memory even after total power off.

Connection was plug and play, and didn't require an intermediate RCA/miniplug cable. It also provides both 2.1 and 5.1 channel DAC, with 3 discrete outputs for L/R (center) and front/rear when using 5.1. Complete with a basic optical cable which worked fine, but I upgraded to a better-built Media Bridge cable for another $8.

Sound quality of the Klipsch has to be heard. With the premise these are "only" computer speakers, but are heavily under-rated as such. For less than $120, I find the audio experience challenges many 5.1 or better systems. I placed the sub into the corner of the room diagonally, with the satellites flanking the TV console. Sound imaging is seamless. You cannot tell where the sub is located by listening. It has more than enough presence and power to handle anything I've tried without distortion. Movies are superb, with no problems pounding out the extreme tracks and quiet scenes as well. The satellites have discrete mid and hi drivers, giving them a clean and pure sound. A great compact system without all the spiderweb of wiring and big money.

If I had to whine about something (and I'm REALLY being picky here) you don't get remote control of volume. Sometimes commercials will blast you, their tracks are played way too hot. You must actually get up and turn the knob a hair if you must adjust the volume (rarely). One other minor note, on a few (very few) broadcasts, the primary audio channel, usually the actors, does not get decoded by the box, but you can still hear the background music and sound effects. No problem. Simply click the TV speakers on in the menu, and enjoy the program. DVD soundtracks are not affected by this. A pleasant side effect of this, is some commercials also get hit with this feature. Their audio gets defeated the same way!!! Haha! Effective payback so I don't have to listen to their pitch! What's not to love?!

So if anyone else finds themselves in my position, this will make it happen for you.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-24-12, 09:01 PM
Senior Shackster

Glad it's working good now . . .
I was going to suggest that you plug the Klipsh speakers into the headphone jack on the TV.

W o o f e r h o u n d

member , questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page