24/96 playback devices - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > HiFi Audio Components | Music > Two Channel Audio
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 1923 - Replies: 20  
Old 12-03-11, 10:37 AM   #1
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

ghost rider
Since: Dec 2010
berwyn il
I started this thread.
24/96 playback devices

I recently have posting a lot about vinyl and was not sure where to put this so I put it here.

Since I installed room treatments I rediscovered my audio system and mostly how good vinyl can sound. I started re-mastering old records 1st to 24/96 then CDs. I used software to clean them up and maximize the levels while in 24/96.

I am amazed how good they sound. The way I see it the processing I am doing, a click and crackle remover and noise gate then just a little compression with what sound forge calls the wavehammer, is doing far more good than harm. The only issue is on songs that have quite parts that fade to near silence the noise gate can sound choppy, so on some recordings I don’t use it and you can hear that 40db turntable noise. Any thoughts on processing vinyl?

I was quote surprised when I realized my LG BD390 blu-ray player would not play DVD-audio discs. This got me wondering how to best archive and playback the 24/96 file. I could play them from the computer and use the D/A converters in my Asus xonar hdav 1.3 deluxe or figure out if a audio format will play in the BD 390 Seems like my best choice is to use my old Panasonic RP-91 that will play DVD-audio up to 24/192.

My 1st thought is that the RP-91 sounds better than the computer. It passes 24/96 via spdif to my Bryston sp 1.7 pre/pro and the computer used the xonar converters.

The DVD-audio is nice I bought the software years ago and hardly ever used it now it is near perfect. I can cut up the 24/96 wave file to album sides and I can get 3.5 albums on one DVD

So how do you guys play back you HD audio files?

On a side note I could use the xonar audiocard and capture at 24/192 but I think the Echo Mona I use for recording sounds better even though it’s limited to 24/96 but I have never run the test

Last edited by ghost rider; 12-03-11 at 10:54 AM..

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-11, 11:10 PM   #2
Senior Shackster

RTS100x5
Since: Sep 2009
Arlington, Tx.
Re: 24/96 playback devices

Quote:
ghost rider wrote: View Post
I recently have posting a lot about vinyl and was not sure where to put this so I put it here.

Since I installed room treatments I rediscovered my audio system and mostly how good vinyl can sound. I started re-mastering old records 1st to 24/96 then CDs. I used software to clean them up and maximize the levels while in 24/96.

I was quote surprised when I realized my LG BD390 blu-ray player would not play DVD-audio discs. This got me wondering how to best archive and playback the 24/96 file. I could play them from the computer and use the D/A converters in my Asus xonar hdav 1.3 deluxe or figure out if a audio format will play in the BD 390 Seems like my best choice is to use my old Panasonic RP-91 that will play DVD-audio up to 24/192.

So how do you guys play back you HD audio files?

On a side note I could use the xonar audiocard and capture at 24/192 but I think the Echo Mona I use for recording sounds better even though itís limited to 24/96 but I have never run the test

YES YES YES I too have the HDAV DELUXE 1.3 ..also with upgrade Opamps from BURSON.....Few will realize the amazing analog sound this card puts out....HDMI ....who needs it ???

And I have alot of remixing hrs under my belt with all my 2.0 files MP3 and WAV upped to WMA Pro 5.1 24/96 !!! Most of it , especially the synthesizer tracks from SYNERGY and TANGERINE DREAM are flat out remarkable !
Im doing this with ADOBE AUDITION which is very easy to insert files > remix > then export in the above mentioned format.... I am looking at turntables as I also have a large collection of virgin vinyl LPs of big band music I want to transfer to DVD or BLURAY...... Im looling at the MUSIC HALL turntable series and would appreciate your input....
Also if your software supports VST plugins try IZOTOPE / OZONE5 ....it has some really great sounding reverb and other audio enhancement tools.......

AVR - PIONEER SC 35 w PANGEA AC9 CORD
AC FILT - PANAMAX M5400
DISPLAY - PANASONIC TC-P54G10 54in 1080p PLASMA
MAINS + SURROUND - DIY w DAYTON PT2C-8 PLANAR MID/HIGHS + DAYTON 6.5 MIDBASS -
SUBS - (2) DAYTON 15" ULTIMAX
SUB AMP - ACURUS A250
HTPC - WIN7 ULT,INTEL I7 860,CORSAIR 800D,CORSAIR HX1000, 16 GIG CORSAIR,EVGA P55 MB, ATI 5970 VIDEO, ASUS HDAV DELUXE 1.3 w BURSON DISCREET OPAMPS,PIONEER BDRW, 3WARE 9650 w 4x CRUCIAL 64gb SSD's in RAID 0

Old 12-04-11, 08:00 AM   #3
Senior Shackster

patchesj
Since: Jun 2009

What are you using for a pre-amp? Do you want to do some type of streaming over the network or stick with physical media? I'm interested in recommendations as well. My plan was to stream only. I have an Opo BDP-83, but I've found the 24 bit support is actually not there.

Old 12-04-11, 12:22 PM   #4
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

ghost rider
berwyn il
I started this thread.

Quote:
RTS100x5 wrote: View Post
YES YES YES I too have the HDAV DELUXE 1.3 ..also with upgrade Opamps from BURSON.....Few will realize the amazing analog sound this card puts out....HDMI ....who needs it ???

And I have alot of remixing hrs under my belt with all my 2.0 files MP3 and WAV upped to WMA Pro 5.1 24/96 !!! Most of it , especially the synthesizer tracks from SYNERGY and TANGERINE DREAM are flat out remarkable !
Im doing this with ADOBE AUDITION which is very easy to insert files > remix > then export in the above mentioned format.... I am looking at turntables as I also have a large collection of virgin vinyl LPs of big band music I want to transfer to DVD or BLURAY...... Im looling at the MUSIC HALL turntable series and would appreciate your input....
Also if your software supports VST plugins try IZOTOPE / OZONE5 ....it has some really great sounding reverb and other audio enhancement tools.......
To be honest with you I don’t know that much about turntable options. I have what I have and I went with some moderately priced equipment when I bought it.

As for the Xonar it does sound good. I prefer it for movies. My preamp is a Bryston sp 1.7 and it is limited to one 5.1 analog input. I like the rca output jacks. I always hated the mickey mouse 1/8 inch stereo mini jacks on most computers. I did figure out how to get a accurate 7.1 output. Talking about HDMI I thought I needed to upgrade to a pre/pro with hdmi and I demoed a marantz sr 6006 and I liked the Audyssey but the analog through the xonar and Bryston sounded better.

For music I like my echo mona http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Di...Mona/specs.php you can see it has nice ins and outs too. I wonder if it’s worth the trouble to find out if recording @ 24/192 with the xonar will be any better I would have to use a mini.

I am using Sound forge 10.0 and it has some izotope pluggins I use the their resample and bit depth converter.

Patchesj I’m not doing any streaming. All that I have seen is MP3. All most people want is more songs per gig on their ipod

I’m just recording a lot of vinyl, hitting up my buddies for their old records.

Last edited by ghost rider; 12-04-11 at 12:29 PM..

Old 12-05-11, 09:06 AM   #5
Senior Shackster

patchesj

I think you'd be surprised at the latest high end tilt in streaming/digital media. Check out HD tracks or other online retailers of HD audio. You can get up to 24/192 lossless recordings and stream via LPCM.

Old 12-05-11, 04:17 PM   #6
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

ghost rider
berwyn il
I started this thread.

Yes I have seen HD track. Their sampler sounds great. When you say streaming I was thinking Pandora or Itunes.

I asked about how HD tracks are mastered and it was posted that most are SACD masters converted to HD tracks. Those may have been up to 24/192. The selection is very limited for now also.

Here's my thing about vinyl there is no limit to how far you can go. You can spend 10gs or more for turntable, phono stage and cartridge. You will hear improvements, my not be worth 10g but it is an inprovement.

I've just been amazed at how nice my recordings have been coming out. Sure there are some sounds that are worse if compared to CDs but I have been enjoying all my old records again.

Old 12-07-11, 09:42 AM   #7
Senior Shackster

patchesj

Curious, but is it possible for you to record as DSD (SACD)? I would think that might provide the closest to analog digital recording. Of course your playback options might be further limited.

Old 12-07-11, 04:31 PM   #8
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

ghost rider
berwyn il
I started this thread.

I thought DVD-A and SACD were the same quality. I know little about SACD I neither have a player or software to record them. I'm not even sure if they sell recording software

My RP91 is working fine. So I'm sticking with DVD-A. Disc welder bronze works very good for burning DVD-A

Old 12-09-11, 09:37 PM   #9
Senior Shackster

RTS100x5
Since: Sep 2009
Arlington, Tx.

My DVD-A can be ripped with DVDFAB....Any of my CD's or MP3/WAV files can be converted to WMA PRO 5.1 24/96 with ADOBE AUDITION 3.0 ... although the SQ is really good it does not rival a 6ch discrete mix like DVD-A.
I have also tried some discrete channel remixing w ADOBE and SURCODE into DTS but it is extremely tedious....

AVR - PIONEER SC 35 w PANGEA AC9 CORD
AC FILT - PANAMAX M5400
DISPLAY - PANASONIC TC-P54G10 54in 1080p PLASMA
MAINS + SURROUND - DIY w DAYTON PT2C-8 PLANAR MID/HIGHS + DAYTON 6.5 MIDBASS -
SUBS - (2) DAYTON 15" ULTIMAX
SUB AMP - ACURUS A250
HTPC - WIN7 ULT,INTEL I7 860,CORSAIR 800D,CORSAIR HX1000, 16 GIG CORSAIR,EVGA P55 MB, ATI 5970 VIDEO, ASUS HDAV DELUXE 1.3 w BURSON DISCREET OPAMPS,PIONEER BDRW, 3WARE 9650 w 4x CRUCIAL 64gb SSD's in RAID 0

Old 12-09-11, 10:47 PM   #10
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

ghost rider
berwyn il
I started this thread.

So far I'm very happy with 2ch just like they mastered it.

I ordered a CCR best hits from HD tracks. I coverted each track to a wav file and burned a DVDA disc in 24/96, It sounds great.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs!

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Become a Sponsor   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

« Home Theater Shack > HiFi Audio Components | Music > Two Channel Audio »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »