Best sounding recordings?? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > HiFi Audio Components | Music > Two Channel Audio
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 4505 - Replies: 48  
Old 02-16-12, 08:55 PM   #1
Elite Shackster

Gary
Since: Jun 2011
My System
I started this thread.
Best sounding recordings??

I noticed that Pink Floyd's DSOTM 30th anniversary SACD was the #1 selling SACD (last year?). I know that this question has been posed many times, but seeing DSOTM still selling as it does made me wonder, "what is everyone listening to today?" I love DSOTM and own several versions of it, but it's 30 years old! It's hard to believe that sq hasn't advanced to the point that it is no longer a "reference" recording.

By far, Amused to Death is one of the best sounding recordings I've ever heard. Most people think that it's in surround and don't believe me when I show them that it's in stereo. I owned the SBM version, but now I just have the Japanese import. I also wonder if there's a big difference in sq between the two.

I'd love to hear some "new" music; I'm not stuck in the 60s, 70s, etc. I must confess, however, that I do not own much music from ~2005 and older. Any suggestions? Not just for sq, but good music. FWIW-I like everything from AC DC to Zappa. Pink Floyd and The Beatles are probably my favs if I had to pick 1 or 2 bands, but I listen to Sheryl Crow, Ozzy's first two solo albums, Goo Goo Dolls, Dire Straits, Sting, Billy Joel...just to name a few.

There are CDs that I play while cleaning the house (Thriller, Old Ozzy w/ RR, etc) and discs that I listen to for "critical" listening [DSOTM, Amused to Death(Japan), Pros and Cons...(import)]

So...what do you listen to most?

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-12, 09:04 PM   #2
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
Since: Sep 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My System
Re: Best sounding recordings??

If you like Jazz with lots of dynamics Lee Ritenour "Six String Theory" is an awesome recording

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Old 02-17-12, 07:05 PM   #3
Elite Shackster

Gary
My System
I started this thread.

Thanks; that would be a good one to check out since I play guitar. I'd like to get into classical more; I listen to Segovia, but I don't have (non rock) any operas or full orchestra. I have some Telarc "big band" that I enjoy.

Old 02-17-12, 09:59 PM   #4
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
My System

Some other great groups are Fourplay, I also like Dave Grusin and some of Joe Satrini.
You also might like Phil Keaggy and Kerry Livgren if you like guitar.
I agree, Telarc has always done very good recordings as well.

Home theater:
EV Sentry 500 monitors, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 Centre, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

Old 02-18-12, 06:27 AM   #5
Elite Shackster

Gary
My System
I started this thread.

I've listened to Satch since "Surfing with the Alien;" it was my favorite car CD for a while. I saw a video of him playing (in Japan??) songs from the album before it was released, and it blew my mind. I'm usually not big into that kind of guitar playing (Van Halen-ish), but Satch (and Via) are something else.

Is Phil Keaggy the man whom Jimi H referred to as "the greatest guitarist in the world" years ago? I think that I've heard a few cuts of his; I should buy a few of his albums. The other two I'll check-out, so many thanks.

I was thinking about this thread today at work, and I wondered what discs I'd most like to have that are not available. I-for one-would shell out the big bucks for a Mofi/Japanese SACD box set (yes, you are reading that correctly-BOX SET ) of the complete works by Pink Floyd and The Beatles.

Maybe a "wish list" would also be appropriate here; that's assuming there isn't already a thread for it.

Thanks again!!

Old 02-18-12, 09:03 AM   #6
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
My System

Quote:
wgmontgomery wrote: View Post

Is Phil Keaggy the man whom Jimi H referred to as "the greatest guitarist in the world" years ago? I think that I've heard a few cuts of his; I should buy a few of his albums.
Yes, Thats the same Phil Keaggy. He is very talented.

Home theater:

Living room system:

Old 02-18-12, 09:13 AM   #7
Elite Shackster

Gary
My System
I started this thread.

Does he mainly play acoustic guitar? For some reason I seem to remember him as playing acoustic (a' la Michael Hedges) music that's spiritual in nature. I may be confusing him with someone else.

Old 02-18-12, 09:17 AM   #8
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
My System

He plays every type but yes he does like acoustic. he is a Christian so he does focus on that but 90% of his music is without vocals.

Home theater:

Living room system:

Old 02-18-12, 09:38 AM   #9
Elite Shackster

Gary
My System
I started this thread.

If I were to get one Keaggy CD (SACD) today, which recording would you suggest I buy? Thanks again; a new band/musician that someone introduces you to is, IMO, a gift that gives and gives and gives...

Old 02-18-12, 09:42 AM   #10
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Tony
My System

I like Phil's CD "220" But as I said in my first post The Lee Ritenour CD "Six string theory" is my favorite right now no collection is complete without that recording

Home theater:

Living room system:

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs!

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

« Home Theater Shack > HiFi Audio Components | Music > Two Channel Audio »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »