Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Looking at tube amps...

Tags
amps tube
15K views 48 replies 12 participants last post by  class a 
#1 ·
I am back on the two-channel ban wagon again. I am about to go through a speaker evaluation pretty soon, considering several different speakers. I am looking for the right tube amp for that evaluation.

After hearing all the various tube amps at LSAF, I am sold on giving tubes a go in this system. Luther (Wardsweb) introduced me to several brands that I have been looking at. I am looking at the ProLogue Seven Monoblocks, which just happen to be on sale right now. These would be plenty of power to handle pretty much any speakers I decide to get... and have the "AdaptiveBias" feature to keep me from having to fool with setting the bias.

Another option is a pair of the Jolida JD-501P amps (120 watts mono each), which would save me about $600 over the ProLogue Seven's. However, I think the Seven's have a few added features that would be nice to have... and again, I would not have to worry about ever adjusting the bias.

Then the Rogue Cronus Magnum also looks like a fine choice as an integrated amp... including phono input... and KT120 tubes for plenty of power. I am impressed with this amp.

I am not sure if there are any others I should consider, as I really do not know much about tubes. I did not really want to spend $2,000 either, but I may.

See less See more
#34 ·
Thank you for your thoughts, they are very welcomed.
I have been offered this integrated at about half the original price. The owner bought it, liked it but found the Bottlehead Stereomour closer to his liking in a very small room. So it is up for sale. I may have to hit the savings account....again. :innocent:

The manual says 30wpc but reviews put it closer to about 16-20 so this should be more than enough.

#36 ·
It is nice looking but seems to be an AB amp and not the SET everyone has recommended I try. So instead one of these will be here by this weekend and music will flow. I am feeling good about this and have my music ready to go.

#37 ·
What kind of output tubes are those? Sovtek 6L6GC? Also, how are the output tubes configured? Pentode? "Ultralinear"? Or Triode-wired? Does the amp use negative feedback loops to lower distortion? Or is this one of those "zero negative feedback" amps?

Or, maybe there's a link to its specs?

#40 ·
Hi Hugh...

I got a little time in, but not what I would have liked to.

I tried to buy a Melody amp from a dealer in Mobile that had one up for sale a couple of months ago. I sent him an email or PM on the Chase forum and made him an offer for $900, after he stated he was asking $1,000 and was taking offers. I never got a response from him, but called his dealership and left a message for him. I was going to give him the full $1,000... but he never called me back. I later learned he sold it for more, or at least I think I remember that way.

Anyway... I almost was an owner of your brand. I have read nothing but good about them.

#42 ·
Hi Hugh - I checked out your website and must say, you carry some very nice stuff. I spoke with Sonnie at length on tube amps and audio in general a few weeks ago. Just trying to get him up to speed. Seems he hit the ground running and is catching up fast.

I presently have a McIntosh MC240, Shanling SP-80 monoblocks, Jolida JD-1000E, Final Labs Music-3 EL34, and a few DIY 2A3, EL34 and 6DN7 amps. Tubes with horns or electrostats are my weakness.

#45 ·
It's worth pointing out that not all speakers match up with tube amps. The speakers typically need to have mild impedance and phase curves, and impedance should not get too low. Dips to 2 ohms are not good. 8 ohms dipping to 5 is better.

When I decided to try tube amps, first I hooked up a friend's medium powered amp to my Totem Arros. Sounded horrible. I proceeded to buy speakers first, with low power SET in mind, then bought an amp that matched the speakers. Chicken and the egg, I guess.

Phil

#46 ·
I think a better statement may be, "not all speakers match up with all tube amps." you need to match the amp to the speakers. I have Martin Logan Prodigy driven by a 100 watt per channel tube amp with no issues and the Prodigy's dip down too 2 ohms. I have other single driver full range that work well with 1.5 watts per channel.

#48 ·
Personally I would match any amp, but yes sand amps are a little more forgiving, as long as they can handle the impedance. I can't use just any amp with the Prodigy's. My CLS were even more difficult and my Apogee Duetta's are the most difficult I have ever seen. The Apogee's can toast an amp not up to the task.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.