The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 13 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

View Poll Results: Which pair of speakers do you think will be chosen? (Please read details before voting.)
Arx A5 19 5.37%
Focal Chorus 716V 75 21.19%
HTD Level THREE 12 3.39%
Klipsch RF-62 II 71 20.06%
Magnepan MG12/QR 42 11.86%
MartinLogan Motion 12 51 14.41%
Tekton Model Lore 23 6.50%
Vandersteen 2Ce 61 17.23%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

post #121 of 374 Old 08-19-13, 09:46 AM
My System
Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

MrAcoustat wrote: View Post
Those are the baby of the family, here is the father ( Acoustat DIY Spectra 8800 )

I'd be curious to hear those.
Sponsored Links
post #122 of 374 Old 08-19-13, 11:26 AM
My System

Without actually hearing the others, Im going with Klipsch RF-62 II, only because Ive heard them in person before. But theres always the possibility one of those are better.
post #123 of 374 Old 08-19-13, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
I'm a redneck!
My System

3dbinCanada wrote: View Post
I'm curious to know why PSB wasn't included in this mix. Few speakers can match their dynamics and linearity sounding good in both low and high level SPL .
There are sooooo many I could have chosen, but we only have room for a few. I owned the PSB Image 6T's for HT and liked them really well, but never tried them in a two-channel setup. I guess simply because I had owned them previously and they fall into that more "traditional" speaker design, I passed on them. I believe the 5T's would have been the ones to try, IIRC. Maybe at a later date we will snag the higher end model for the $2500 speaker evaluation.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #124 of 374 Old 08-19-13, 12:52 PM
Senior Shackster
My System

I voted for the Klipsch set. Of the very few quality speakers I've heard, this is the only one of the bunch I can say I've heard, and to my untrained and inexperienced ear, they sounded great.
post #125 of 374 Old 08-19-13, 01:10 PM

My vote is for the Focal Chorus 716V. These are beautiful, and the dual 6.5 inch woofers will give a clean, tight, bass sound. Focal knows there stuff!
post #126 of 374 Old 08-19-13, 01:25 PM
Thumbs up Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

You have a great set of choices and some excellent listening ahead of you. An old trick I learned when trying to evaluate speakers is to put a pair of over ear ear muffs (rating between 24dB and 29dB of protection is best) on for about 15 minutes before you start your listening session. This will give you a bit of a "clean palate" to start each session with and the isolation is also effective for allowing an easier refocusing of effort and energy.

The speakers I think you will is the Vandersteens.

My reasoning is simple. They are not flashy or showy. When I have listened to them, I found them to be very neutral and not tiring to listen to. They didn't seem to require active energy to enjoy their presentation. Rather the sound just seemed to come out naturally and make you a piece of the furniture in the room.

Some of the speakers on your list have aggressive qualities and others have a distinct signature to them (e.g. a very forward high mid range projection). I didn't find much of that at all with the Vandersteens. In fact they may be described as somewhat boring and vanilla. For accurate and uncoloured listening, that is a label I tend to like.

Best of luck!

Allan - A Canadian Tubaman
post #127 of 374 Old 08-19-13, 01:38 PM

My vote is for the tekton lores . Very sensitive speakers and works well wirh tube amps and can also be driven hard with a solid state amp. Pro grade drivers can make it sound live as if you are there . No horns for two channel music .
post #128 of 374 Old 08-19-13, 01:42 PM

I think all Klipsch speakers have too much energy in 1k-3k band. I can't stand them.
I also don't like a lot of ribbon speakers. I auditioned Magnepan 1.7s and if you try playing Judas Priest at even slightly loud levels they sound terrible. Perhaps they were paired with the wrong amp, but I expect a dealer to figure that out. I don't like any of the Martin Logan Motion series. I once auditioned a Vandersteen model. I forget which one, but one of the least expensive ones. I wanted to experience the 1st order cross-over and see if made some really noticeable improvement. They seemed just ok, nothing special, nothing to make me think 1st order is the only way to go. Of all the speakers I have heard in recent memory a Focal bookshelf was one of the best sounding. I could have almost bought it, but it seemed to lack that really special sound that I am looking for. Nonetheless, for this thread, I have to go with Focal based upon my listening experiences. I have not heard the Arx A5, but that ribbon tweeter would make me cautious. I will say the folden ribbon in the Golden Ear Aon bookshelf is really good, but the bass tone of that speaker was odd. I haven't heard the HTD Level Three. I haven't heard the Tekton's. I would imagine the Tekton's having really good dynamics with the 10" driver, but lacking midrange detail. With my experience midrange detail goes up with smaller drivers at the expense of bass and dynamics. I am surprised there aren't more 3 way designs, but perhaps the extra cross-over effects the sound too much.
post #129 of 374 Old 08-19-13, 01:52 PM
My System

I vote for the Klipsch. The only ones I heard Also, I'm a fan of Klipsch for the value. So if you chose that, I would expect some kind of quality for the money explanation.
post #130 of 374 Old 08-19-13, 02:20 PM
Thumbs up Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I just recently received my ARX5 and A1b's and both the wife and I are really impressed w/ them. I would have dealt w/ something reasonable but the wife would not have tolerated muddy sloppy bass or bright ear splitting highs.

I've only had a few towers, pre-90's Sansui, MTX, Sony and Pioneer in my home and they all had different attributes. I know technology is newer but w/ my horrible hearing the Arx have been wonderful. I can hear dialogue in movies and music is clear and precise. The highs are hard to describe, they get louder w/ volume but never become piercing like my old Sansui's or the Klipsch i've heard. They fill my 40x18 w/ nicely. W/ a room that large a large sub would be helpful for movies but the A5 fill the room well and even w/ my 2113 maxed out, the sound reproduction is as clear and concise as the source.

I'm no audiophile by any stretch of the imagination but I enjoy a good jam session and the A5 deliver. What's even more impressive, the first 2x8 hour stretches of music were all internet-classical and the wife was amazed. The A5's slowly graduated to a pandora mix of Slayer and Judas Priest. It handled the double bass in a rapid and solid manner, the screams of Halford came through clearly and the speed riffs of Terry King w/o issue or complaint.

We listen to our new stereo setup daily and in just a first few days the sound has matured nicely and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone else.

$1 , 000 , audition , evaluation , event , home , official , speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page