The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

View Poll Results: Which pair of speakers do you think will be chosen? (Please read details before voting.)
Arx A5 19 5.37%
Focal Chorus 716V 75 21.19%
HTD Level THREE 12 3.39%
Klipsch RF-62 II 71 20.06%
Magnepan MG12/QR 42 11.86%
MartinLogan Motion 12 51 14.41%
Tekton Model Lore 23 6.50%
Vandersteen 2Ce 61 17.23%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

post #51 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 01:13 AM
Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

I say the A5's will rock your room in a way you'll find quite surprising!
Sponsored Links
post #52 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 05:06 AM

I vote for the Focal Chorus 716V because I belive that is a very good allround speaker.
post #53 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 05:18 AM
Senior Shackster
My System
Send a message via Yahoo to hyghwayman

I also received a email notice about this event and couldn't wait to kick my wife off the pc so I could read all about it. After a moment though I to the fact it may be best to wait for her to finish playing her FB game

With that being said, I casted my vote for the Klipsch RF-62 II speakers based solely on what I've read about the brand over the last 5 years. I wish I could be a fly on the wall as I've never heard any of these speakers in person and your getting to do it in your listening room - too cool. So I'll eagerly be awaiting the outcome of this speaker evaluation.
post #54 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 05:55 AM

I voted for htd level three because of some reviews I read about it, but never auditioned them. and I like their driver structure that looks like specially chosen for smooth transition between frequency distubution, from low end to hign end. 2" mid range dome will create the sound most of the speakers miss, I think.
post #55 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 06:27 AM
I think this is monstrous undertaking that will be fruitful. I am always amazed that enthusiasts go to such lengths to pursue the hobby. Anyway....
Choosing a speaker to vote for is difficult. I owned Vandys 2ce's for along time before I got the Maggy bug and rebuilt a pair of Maggy llla's three years ago and still listening to. The openness of the Vandys led me to the Maggys.
Since I believe Maggys need a lot of work from stock to get to sound good. I feel most maggys except the latest .7 series of the 3 or 20 are really junky pieces of , very cheaply constructed, with minimum quality, I would have to vote for the Vandersteen. This speaker was an incredible value, well built, with quality components
post #56 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 06:43 AM
Plain ole user
Tech Guru
Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

What kind of work do you feel that the Magnepans need?

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #57 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 06:53 AM

I have a klipsch F-30 7.1 speaker system. During the purchasing process, I auditioned four or five different speaker systems. The Kilpsch were the best of the lot. My usahe is 75% music and 25% home theater.
post #58 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 06:54 AM

I auditioned magnepan mg12 in a very small room with a sub and without a sub 2 years ago what I remember about them is I didnt like them very much I dont know why maybe the missing bottom end =)
post #59 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 08:00 AM

I voted for the Focals. They produce stunning soundstage and delicious mids and highs for their price point. Paired with a good sub, these would be a great choice.
post #60 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 08:01 AM

I have some experience with Klipsch RF-3, which is an older, similar model to the RF-62 in the evaluation. I only listen to 2 channel stereo. I listen to the music using a push-pull 2A3 amplifier, because I've never found anything that sounded better within its 6 watts per channel (class A) limits. Sure, if I really needed 50 watts per ch then I'd need a bigger beast. But it wouldn't sound as good. I don't know why, exactly, but I have my unproven opinions on the matter I have some other reasonably good amps to compare them with, such as Hafler P1000, Dynaco Stereo 70 and Panasonic SA-XR57 receiver.

I really wanted to love those RF-3's. My PP2A3 amp drove them superbly well. The reason I didn't choose the Klipsch for this shootout was because I believe the newer model will still have a similar fault, and that's in the high frequencies. The Klipsch Tractrix horns all use a square diffraction throat with sharp edges. According to Earl Geddes, Wayne Parham, Zilch, et al, these sharp diffraction throats are the cause of High Order Modes (HOM's), which cause harshness in the sound from reflections and multiple delays. The sound I heard in the RF-3's was a harsh 'spittiness' to the highs, which made frequencies in the 10kHz vicinity sound boosted. Everything had that sort of electronic sizzle riding over it. Otherwise, the speakers were spectacularly good for the little money they cost second-hand. I think the ceramic-metallic mid-woofers are really fine. Super-fast and detailed sounding. Great bass too. Something like a true 94 or 95dB/1W/1m sensitivity. My PP2A3 amp easily made them play really loud. I ultimately sold them to a friend who went on to add a pair of RB-5's and an RC-3 for 5.1. He raves about the setup for PC games and movies. (He doesn't listen to much music.)

I found that with orchestral/classical music, the RF-3's gave a sort of movie soundtrack coloration to the sound. Everything sounded cinematic. Full, detailed, but somehow overcooked, or overblown. They did best with contemporary small group music, something like a Cassandra Wilson or Norah Jones album. Puts you in the club, so to speak. Like the best club sound system you could ask for. I imagine the newer RF-62's will have some nice refinements, but that Klipsch house sound is a sort of love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing. Personally, I love the detail and the high sensitivity, but I don't like the 'club sound' 'in-yer-face' aspect.

Maggies are at the extreme opposite end of the spectrum. Super detailed and relaxed on orchestral and acoustic music, like 'you are there.' But super low sensitivity (I think 83dB/1W/1m or thereabouts). To get any dynamics at all out them you need massive amounts of current drive from the amps. BIG power supplies and lotsa watts. With louder (pop, rock, latin, etc.) music and with most amps Maggies usually sound 'sleepy.' But on the right music they sound utterly captivating.

I've heard older Vandersteen models, and liked them. I don't know if the new ones have anything to do with the classics. So I don't know. I imagine the Vandersteen won't be a very high sensitivity speaker, so again, might be a problem for the tube amps.

I once auditioned a pair of Martin Logan 'stats, many years ago, comparing them to B&W 801's (it was that long ago), driven by top-shelf Bryston amps. I really did not like the M-L's. Beamy, harsh upper mids. I also heard a pair for an extended time in a friend's man cave. These were really big M-L's, back about the year 2000. They were good, but nothing to write home about. I understand that the 'stat panels will take a lot of current drive from the amps, so once again, I wonder how they'll react to being driven by tube amps. Too bad there's not a Quad ESL-63 or something like that for comparison. What a lovely speaker that is.

I don't know much about the other choices.

So I'm sticking with the Focal. I know that's a high quality speaker, because I once tried to build a speaker with Focal drivers, and those were of very high quality design, materials and workmanship. They also were fairly high sensitivity (for a cone-and-dome design). Too bad I could never figure out crossovers. But that's another story...

Last edited by rongon; 08-18-13 at 08:09 AM.

$1 , 000 , audition , evaluation , event , home , official , speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page