The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

View Poll Results: Which pair of speakers do you think will be chosen? (Please read details before voting.)
Arx A5 19 5.37%
Focal Chorus 716V 75 21.19%
HTD Level THREE 12 3.39%
Klipsch RF-62 II 71 20.06%
Magnepan MG12/QR 42 11.86%
MartinLogan Motion 12 51 14.41%
Tekton Model Lore 23 6.50%
Vandersteen 2Ce 61 17.23%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

post #61 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 08:20 AM
Senior Shackster
My System
Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Another vote for the Vandersteen's. For two channel they should do very well but in this price range you have some interesting competition.
Sponsored Links
post #62 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 08:37 AM

I chose the Arx A5s because I have these towers and the tweeter and xbl2 drivers are amazing.
post #63 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 09:06 AM
My System
I voted for the HTD Level 3. Mainly because I own the Level 3 bookshelves and Level 3 center channel speaker and they sound fantastic. I can only imagine that the towers are even more impressive. Although you would get them in black, the finish of my dark cherry bookshelves is really beautiful. Top notch Kapton ribbon tweeter as well, which have great resolution and brilliancy without being fatiguing at loud listening levels, as well as very wide horizontal dispersion. I suspect the Arx A5 could be similar, but I have not heard it or the other speakers on the list. I do know that I have been extremely satisfied with my HTD Level 3 bookshelves. Sounds like a fun time will be had evaluating all of those.
post #64 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 09:41 AM
Senior Shackster

I think it will come down to the Klipsch and the Martin Logans...I chose the Logans to pull it out in the end..I have heard these pushed to the limits and was truly amazed by the rich, robust sound, especially for the money!!
post #65 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 10:02 AM

voted for the Klipsch, just a guess.
post #66 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 10:11 AM

I voted for the Maggies.

Tough call though... if this were for HT I would not have voted that way but since this is 2 channel (I assume all music?) that pushed me towards Magnepan.

I haven't heard this model before but I used to own the MMG's and IMO they were one of the best deals in audio for only 600 for the pair. Now, I used them with subs of course because the bass is lacking. But the highs and the soundstage was great for such a cheap speaker.

I have since moved on to a high effeciency speaker (JTR Noesis 212's) and they are better than the Maggies in every way and it's not close but they should be considering the price.

Back to your comparison. I assume no subs will be used? If that's the case the Maggies have much less of a chance and I'm sure you know this already but Magnepans are so picky when it comes to placement. In my room I had to have them a minimum of 3 feet from the front wall and 4 feet was even better.

Great idea, love the thread and I'll stay tuned for this for sure.
post #67 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 10:12 AM
My System

Nice, Klipsch took the lead =^)
post #68 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 10:25 AM

voted for the Klipsch.
post #69 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 10:33 AM

I picked Tekton Model Lore for several reasons.

Because of the drivers employed, Tekton is likely the most efficient speaker of the bunch, the Klipsch being second. (I have recent Klipsch experience. Klipsch overstates sensitivity by 4-6 dB.) Sensitivity is critical because speakers tend to audibly thermal limit well below their maximum rated "RMS" input power. Some including myself specify 1/10th the RMS figure as the "1 dB dynamic compression" point. Even though speakers in this price category might typically safely handle "100Wrms" input power, they tend to audibly clip musical peaks beyond 1/10th their RMS power rating.

Check the sensitivity specs and do the math (subtract 4-6 dB from Klipsch's ridiculous spec). Manufacturers routinely over state sensitivity because it's a critical spec that largely determines overall performance. Check the speaker's acoustic output at 1/10th it's maximum RMS power rating.

The room volume is larger than average for music reproduction (volume is three dimensions, simple floor area is only two dimensions and misleading). The larger the room volume the greater is weighting for sensitivity.

Unfortunately Tekton does not allow on-site visitors to hear their speakers, or I would have by now (I live only minutes away from them). In fact they did not reply to my email, and same for another person who emailed them. Even though I've not heard them, one person whose opinion I highly respect loves his Tektons (owned two models). Also, a professional reviewer (Andrew Robinson IIRC) favorably compared Tekton's $2500 flag ship to Wilson's $75k model.

I predict Tekton by good margin. I'm "long" on Tekton.

Sorry I missed it in the setup if it's there: How closely will you match SPL and by what method? This is critical when comparing speakers, and fail if levels are not matched within tight window. I can't recall the maximum window height, but it might be as small as .1 dB. Humans almost always and immediately identify louder as better in such comparisons.

Thinking more about this, maybe I should shut up. The Tekton is the loudest of the bunch, so if you don't control for gain the Tekton should be a shoe-in!

I heard and loved ML's smaller/smallest Motion series with Heil's folded ribbon tweeter (similar to the Arx tweeter). Later I heard a floor standing Motion tower at CES, and preferred the much smaller Motion. It's not uncommon to prefer the same company's smaller speaker over a similar larger model.

BTW, as a "Scripturalist," one of the joys of this website is never seeing any form of the Savior's name used in vain. It's funny how other web sites encourage such misuse while disallowing other forms of alleged "hate" speech.

Last edited by ro7939; 08-18-13 at 11:40 AM.
post #70 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 10:34 AM
Senior Shackster
My System

ARX5, truly an amazing speaker, used in both HT and stereo (two channel) listening, I'm from the camp that a good speaker should sound good in either application, I don't believe tha ARX5 was designed to be used in either application, it is just that good.

$1 , 000 , audition , evaluation , event , home , official , speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page