The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

View Poll Results: Which pair of speakers do you think will be chosen? (Please read details before voting.)
Arx A5 19 5.37%
Focal Chorus 716V 75 21.19%
HTD Level THREE 12 3.39%
Klipsch RF-62 II 71 20.06%
Magnepan MG12/QR 42 11.86%
MartinLogan Motion 12 51 14.41%
Tekton Model Lore 23 6.50%
Vandersteen 2Ce 61 17.23%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

post #81 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 12:37 PM
Re: The Official $1,000 Speaker Evaluation / Home Audition Event

Tekton employs bass instrument woofer with rigid accordian type surround common to pro sound/high sensitivity drivers. Regular audio speakers have half-roll foam or rubber surround.

Rigid surrounds take longer than average to "season," I read up to 600 hours! Yikes! I'm sure they won't get 600 hours but hope they get more than the average burn in time.
Sponsored Links
post #82 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 12:41 PM
Senior Shackster

I'm slightly confused. Why buy cheaper speakers for music when you already have ML Prodigy speakers? You don't like the sound?
post #83 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 12:43 PM

People tend to stay with what they know, so my vote is for the MartinLogan Motion 12's.
post #84 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 12:45 PM

Re: Focal speakers -- Inverted beryllium dome? Wow. Really? That's like the beryllium diaphragms in the TAD compression drivers. Way expensive, and hi-tech appealing.

I looked at the Tekton website, at the Lore speaker. I found something interesting. Take a look at the woofer in the Lore. --

Now take a look at this --

That's the same design woofer that formed the basis for the Zu Audio Omen, etc. ($999 a pair)

Also used in the Fastlane Audio Drift kit, here --

Tekton claims 98dB/1W/1m sensitivity, but as you can see from the 10" driver's specs, the SPL rating is more like 93dB/1W/1m. I really doubt the Lore is all that much more efficient than the Focals, for instance. But I could be wrong. Tekton may have some magic they're doing, like Zu Audio claims to have done. I also notice that neither Zu Audio nor Tekton have response curves/graphs posted, which gives me pause. But commercial speaker mfg's often don't post those. (Tannoy does for their studio monitors...)

I would really like to hear the Zu and Tekton speakers, playing classical music especially. Right now I'm fumbling around with a Drift kit in a pair of Klipsch KG4.5 cabs. I compare them to the Snell C's, later I'll check my work with measurements. But I'm only able to get a couple dB more level out of the Drifts compared to the Snell C's. The Snells are rated 90dB/1W/1m, so I figure the Drifts are about 92 to 93dB. I can't see how the Tekton's could be more than that using the same driver.

But again, I could be wrong.
post #85 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 01:44 PM

Of these I vote for the Vandersteen 2CE for listening by the same person most of the time from the same listening position. The qualifier is because Vandersteens have a wide horizontal sweet spot but a narrow (6 inch) vertical listening window. Because of this, setting up the Vandersteens with the proper amount of backward tilt is essential. The amount of tilt is based on a combination of ear height and distance from the speakers. There is a chart in the Vandersteen manual giving the amount of tilt based on these two factors.

I have listened to Vandersteen 1C and 2CE Signature speakers and was favorably impressed. I own a Klipsch Reference Series II 5.1 system and much prefer the Vandersteens. Can't say much about the rest of the speakers in this test as I have never heard them.
post #86 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 02:09 PM
Senior Shackster
My System

I voted Maggies they seem to be in more 2 channel rigs than any other brand I have yet to give them a demo guess I am still in love with my Paradigm Studio's so I quit looking.
post #87 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 02:28 PM
Senior Shackster

I voted for the Vandersteen speakers. They're old, like me, so you just know they are good.

I first heard these speakers years and years ago and they are very clean and true, especially if you listen to a lot of piano music.
post #88 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 03:06 PM
Senior Shackster
My System

The Vanderstiens are awfully good, but I've got to expect the Maggies to pull through in the end.
You've done a great job of choosing the best equipment available in this price range!
post #89 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
I'm a redneck!
My System

I continue to appreciate all the various responses. It is really making the anticipation of listening to these speakers more and more exciting for me.

ro7939 wrote: View Post
Sorry I missed it in the setup if it's there: How closely will you match SPL and by what method?
I have a Galaxy 140 SPL meter... and a calibrated UMIK-1 mic that is used with REW. I suspect we will use both, as we do want to get volume level matched as closely as possible.

carp wrote: View Post
I assumed he was just comparing music - if it's HT too, I would have voted differently.
Music only for this two-channel gig.

grey9hound wrote: View Post
I would like to ask one question. I don't think i saw it anywhere here. What type or types of music do you listen to ? This would possibly affect your choice of speakers .
I listen to a pretty good variety, but I am not much on just sitting and listening to country or classical. For music listening I like Melody Gardot, Norah Jones, Gabriella Cilme, Amy Winehouse, Adele, Duffy, Flim & the BB's, Spyro Gyra, Yello... and then I also like everything Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, Roger Waters... and Robert Plant, Led Zeppelin, U2, Steely Dan, Phil Collins... and I am sure there are others that are not coming to mind at this particular moment. I think that is a good variety though.

ro7939 wrote: View Post
It's absolutely no coincidence that the two companies with the largest ad budget are 1-2 in polling. Voters are apparently voting as if this is a popularity contest.
I noticed Focal is in the lead now. What is somewhat ironic is that other than the Tekton speakers, I have read and heard less about the Focal speakers than any of the others. When I hear Focal, I immediately think car audio... and it wasn't until just a year or so ago that I fully realized Focal manufactured home speakers. I probably knew it ... as in I have probably seen reference to them somewhere in the past, but it just did not register with me.

OTOH... Klipsch are advertised like crazy and I have seen them everywhere.

Jason_Nolan wrote: View Post
I'm slightly confused. Why buy cheaper speakers for music when you already have ML Prodigy speakers? You don't like the sound?
I anticipated this question and I did elaborate on that in the initial post, which I will copy and paste here:

There are some who will inevitably ask why I do not simply enjoy the MartinLogan Prodigy speakers as my primary two-channel listening speakers. They actually sound pretty good where they are, but would sound much better if I could get them out from the wall and moved closer in toward one another... and basically be able to better experiment with the placement. They are currently positioned so that they clear the sides of the rather large 125" projection screen. They sound wonderful for movies, with an enormously wide sound, yet imaging is dead on with two-channel music. Maybe that does not do justice in describing what you may want to hear, but I am very pleased with the sound for movies. These ML's also have spikes and are heavy... meaning these are not the kind of speaker you want to be moving back and forth from movie placement to two-channel placement. Regardless, if I used them, then I would not really need to do this speaker evaluation and I would miss out on all the fun we are going to have... who wants to spoil that? Not me!

rongon wrote: View Post
That's the same design woofer that formed the basis for the Zu Audio Omen, etc. ($999 a pair)
I actually called Zu Audio and explained what we were doing here and inquired about their Omen, but they were somewhat short with me and if they discounted us as valid. I was turned off by the attitude, although the guy may have just been having a bad day. So I thought I would just wait a while and maybe consider them later. In the mean time I found out about Tekton and gave Eric a call... what a difference. A refreshing energetic and positive voice sold me on wanting to give his speakers a shot. The first thing I noticed about them is that they were very similar in appearance.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #90 of 374 Old 08-18-13, 03:57 PM
Senior Shackster

I voted for the Vandersteens. I have not heard most of these speakers, but from what I have read I think the Vandersteens will eek out the win.

$1 , 000 , audition , evaluation , event , home , official , speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page