Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HTD Level THREE Follow-up Review Progress "Leak" Thread

24K views 55 replies 10 participants last post by  Sonnie 
#1 · (Edited)
There has been a lot of interest in the $1,000 Speaker Evaluation follow-up review of the HTD Level THREE Towers (LTTs). We would not normally do this for speakers we are reviewing, but there is enough interest with the LTTs that I am starting this "leak" thread to update readers on the progress and perhaps flash some key findings along the way. Of course we want the final review to be an interesting read, so I will be holding a lot back for its publication.

The first bit of news: THEY HAVE ARRIVED. They were dropped off here just a few minutes ago.

Next step: The weather is going to be pretty nice here tomorrow, so I am hoping to pull them outside for a few minutes to get some clean, relatively-early-reflection-free frequency response plots. Of course all eyes are on the tweeters. I will let you know their status ASAP.

#46 ·
This is cheating, but here goes anyway.

A number of readers had expressed interest in reading our Level THREE Tower review before making purchasing decisions. I am finishing that review right now, hopefully to have it posted today or tomorrow. But knowing that delays sometimes occur, and knowing that there may be holiday purchase plans at stake, and knowing that time for such purchases is growing short...

Anyway, it is against the rules and all, but time is a-wasting, and it IS a leak thread after all, so here is a summary of the review - but you GOTTA PROMISE to read the whole review when it gets posted, OK? I trust you...

The answer is: TWO ENTHUSIASTIC THUMBS UP! The tweeters are great, and the speakers work well for home theater and for two-channel. There two things to note and you might want to wait for the full review if either of these is a concern for you:
  • If your main application is two-channel listening and you hope to get the kind of deep soundstage we do at our HTS Speaker Evaluation Events, it can be achieved with the Level THREE Towers, and quite nicely, but placement is CRITICAL and it took some work to achieve it.
  • These speakers are bright, but it is a SMOOTH bright, and I mean REALLY smooth. Any other speaker I have ever heard with this bright a high end would not have worked for me, but it is so smooth with these towers that I simply enjoyed it. I never experienced fatigue, I just wanted more, and I never thought I would hear myself say that about a bright speaker.
Neither of these points is made as a negative, simply things to be aware of if they are particularly important to you.

That's it for now. The full review will be posted very, very soon. If neither of the two points above causes any hesitation and you have had your mouse pointer poised over the "order" button waiting for some confirmation, the towers have my recommendation.

Now, back to writing. Cheers.

#51 ·
well, after having the mismatched tweeter problem on my level 3 bookshelves and center, ive decided just swap them out for the level 2 towers, center, and bookshelves... kind of a long saga type story.

HTD and Chris have been great thru it all.... i waited until the new production of tweeters came in then arranged pickup of the speakers but confusion between fedex and HTD have delayed pickup for a week then they pick them up today and then the driver comes back 5 minutes later and places them back in my living room because he had no labels for them. i wanted them back for christmas and chris even offered overnite shipping to and from them....

after the whole tweeter mess and the fedex delay i just decided to get the level 2's then i dont have to worry about the tweeters with me being OCD and all...

i hope they got the tweeter mismatch defect fixed, i am sure they have but for piece of mind for me im sure the level 2's will be fine for me and im getting towers for the front instead of bookshelves.

i know this prolly doesnt make much sense to to you all but for me it does, i should have the speakers friday and supposedly they are picking up the level 3's again tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.