Second Emotiva UMC-1 Giveaway Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 39 Old 06-08-11, 09:43 AM
Shackster

My System
Re: Second Emotiva UMC-1 Giveaway Review

It would be interesting to hear the results of connecting the UPA-1's to the pre-amp out of the Onkyo, to see if amp section of the Onkyo is the weak link. I considered the UMC-1, but found the features to be lacking and ended up with the Denon 4311 (similar features to your Onkyo). I'm using an external amp for the fronts and stereo listening. I'm loving it, but I'll always wonder if I made the right decision.
BTW, nice review. Thanks.

Lee J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 Old 06-08-11, 10:43 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Quote:
leej wrote: View Post
It would be interesting to hear the results of connecting the UPA-1's to the pre-amp out of the Onkyo, to see if amp section of the Onkyo is the weak link. I considered the UMC-1, but found the features to be lacking and ended up with the Denon 4311 (similar features to your Onkyo). I'm using an external amp for the fronts and stereo listening. I'm loving it, but I'll always wonder if I made the right decision.
BTW, nice review. Thanks.
Hello,
The AVR-4311 is a very popular choice and offers an excellent Feature Set. The things that I am not crazy about are the Remote Controls and the Weight is awfully light for a 2000 Dollar AVR. By having a 2 Channel Amplifier you are taking a good deal of strain off the Denon.

I would seriously consider adding either an Emotiva UMC-1, used Marantz MA-700, or Parasound HCA-1000a for use as a Center Channel Amplifier. The Parasound is a 2 Channel Amplifier that can be Bridged offering 500 Watts into 8 Ohms if memory serves. The Parasound can usually be found on Audiogon for well under 300 Dollars and is considered a true classic. The Parasound Halo A23 is close to identical internally, but sports a fancier Industrial Design and slightly more power, but costs a good bit more.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #13 of 39 Old 06-08-11, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Inactive
Ty

Quote:
leej wrote: View Post
It would be interesting to hear the results of connecting the UPA-1's to the pre-amp out of the Onkyo, to see if amp section of the Onkyo is the weak link.
Sounds like a good idea and worth the trouble. Ill try to find the time to do it this weekend.
post #14 of 39 Old 06-08-11, 12:01 PM
Shackster

My System

I have thought about adding the UPA-1 for my center chanel, but wasn't sure how it compared to the XPA-3 or other amps. It would be nice to hear that the UPA-1 is a worthwhile upgrade. Sounds like I might have passed up an opertunity, with the Memorial Day Sale. Maybe 4th of July will bring another sale.

Lee J
post #15 of 39 Old 06-08-11, 12:40 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
You could always call and see if Emotiva will still honor the 10% off Discount on the UPA from the Memorial Day Sale. The worst thing they will say is no. I think the UPA-1 would be fairly comparable to the XPA-3 as the XPA-3 uses a 750VA Toroidal Transformer and I believe 60,000uf of Filter Capacitance. For comparisons sake, the XPA-2 uses the same 1.2 kVA TT as the XPA-5 and XPA-1 and offers 45,000uf of Capacitance so might not match up as well. With Emotiva's Return Policy, it well might be worth giving it a shot and hearing if the juice is worth the squeeze. I would also seriously consider the HCA-1000a as it will be both cheaper and more powerful. Moreover, the Resale Value is pretty steady and you could almost always get back what you paid for it.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #16 of 39 Old 06-09-11, 11:25 AM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System

Having just shipped off my old and faithful Rotel pre/pro, I am in the market for a new pre/pro with HDMI (1.3 or 1.4) and am REALLY taking a hard look at the UMC-1. I started a thread asking for advice on another site, and everyone there has warned me away from the UMC-1. They seem to ingore my biggest concern-sound quality- and steer me towards an AVR.
I found this review to be quite helpful, so many thanks. A subjective review would be nice...something that one might read in the higher-end mags (What Hi Fi, Stereophile, etc.) Perhaps if I pull the trigger on the UMC-1I will take the time to do such a review.
Being new to this site I wonder if anyone here has thoughts on this matter or can direct me a thread where it is currently being debated...the UMC-1 vs. AVR as pre/pro debate I mean.
Thanks for a great review; the info on the UMC-1's bass eq was VERY helpful.
post #17 of 39 Old 06-09-11, 11:29 AM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System

BTW-I forgot to mention that the ONLY concern listed at the other site was that the UMC-1 was "full of bugs." I spoke with someone at Emotiva and was told that "99.1% of their units were bug free," and if I got one that had bugs I could return it. Again, the issue of sound quality is my #1 concern, but the pre/pro does have to actually work properly.
post #18 of 39 Old 06-09-11, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Inactive
Ty

Quote:
wgmontgomery wrote: View Post
Having just shipped off my old and faithful Rotel pre/pro, I am in the market for a new pre/pro with HDMI (1.3 or 1.4) and am REALLY taking a hard look at the UMC-1. I started a thread asking for advice on another site, and everyone there has warned me away from the UMC-1. They seem to ingore my biggest concern-sound quality- and steer me towards an AVR.
I found this review to be quite helpful, so many thanks. A subjective review would be nice...something that one might read in the higher-end mags (What Hi Fi, Stereophile, etc.) Perhaps if I pull the trigger on the UMC-1I will take the time to do such a review.
Being new to this site I wonder if anyone here has thoughts on this matter or can direct me a thread where it is currently being debated...the UMC-1 vs. AVR as pre/pro debate I mean.
Thanks for a great review; the info on the UMC-1's bass eq was VERY helpful.
The review you seek, one anyway....
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/p...va-umc-1-video
post #19 of 39 Old 06-09-11, 01:11 PM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System

I wanted to thank you for the link before the got whisked-away to read the review. I hope that it's good as I JUST (like 5 minutes ago) ordered one! Thanks
post #20 of 39 Old 06-09-11, 03:51 PM
Senior Shackster
Adam

This may sound dumb, but what are you using for a subwoofer?

Its possible that the Emotiva sounds so much better because of the way the bass management is handled. I find most AVRs to be a bit light on the bass end of things, and considering you're listening to average volume levels, chances are you're enjoying the "loudness" effect that the UMC-1 creates.

It was my understanding that the mains are EQ'd as full range as possible, and then the EQ'd signal is sent to the subwoofer, which is then EQ'd again, and then crossed out. Sonnie did a review on this that explained it quite thoroughly.

The reason i asked about the subwoofer is, if you crank the system up to high levels, does your sub audibly distort sooner? Do the towers have the ability to get as loud for the highs as before, without capping out the low end?

It seems this may all be due to the auto-eq system of the emotiva VS Audyssey's accurate calibration method.

I've done a lot of research on this, and it seems like the pre/pro market is best looked at as an AVR/PRO market right now. Nothing beats a dedicated amp, The pre amps, and AVRs are so close to identical, its not worth spending the extra $$ to have less inside.