Second Emotiva UMC-1 Giveaway Review - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 39 Old 06-09-11, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Inactive
Ty

Re: Second Emotiva UMC-1 Giveaway Review

Quote:
This may sound dumb, but what are you using for a subwoofer?

Its possible that the Emotiva sounds so much better because of the way the bass management is handled. I find most AVRs to be a bit light on the bass end of things, and considering you're listening to average volume levels, chances are you're enjoying the "loudness" effect that the UMC-1 creates.

It was my understanding that the mains are EQ'd as full range as possible, and then the EQ'd signal is sent to the subwoofer, which is then EQ'd again, and then crossed out. Sonnie did a review on this that explained it quite thoroughly.

The reason i asked about the subwoofer is, if you crank the system up to high levels, does your sub audibly distort sooner? Do the towers have the ability to get as loud for the highs as before, without capping out the low end?

It seems this may all be due to the auto-eq system of the emotiva VS Audyssey's accurate calibration method.

I've done a lot of research on this, and it seems like the pre/pro market is best looked at as an AVR/PRO market right now. Nothing beats a dedicated amp, The pre amps, and AVRs are so close to identical, its not worth spending the extra $$ to have less inside.
Appreciate the consideration and a great question. Tested with 2 channel only (no sub) and using zone 3 output on the Onkyo. Zone 3 only supports two channel so I doubt there's any bass management. Before hooking up the amps to the onkyo this weekend Ill re-do the test with no emo auto calibration. Now that you mention it that was a flaw in my testing methods. Since the Onkyo doesnt support auto calibration in its zone 3 support its only fair to by-pass the Emotiva's auto calibration also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 Old 06-09-11, 04:28 PM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System

Are you asking me or the thread starter? First (if you are asking me) I just ordered the UMC-1 today, so I can't comment on its use, sound quality, etc. I have 2 subs; a Kef powered sub that fills 40 hz. and below at a 24 db./8va slope and a passive NHT in-line with the Kef mains that fills 40 to 80 hz.
I will post my observations on the Emo after I've had it a while. I hope this answers your question...IF you were asking me. More to come...
post #23 of 39 Old 06-09-11, 04:29 PM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System

I guess that answers my question... sorry!
post #24 of 39 Old 06-09-11, 04:37 PM
Senior Shackster

Doug

Quote:
Binary wrote: View Post
I've done a lot of research on this, and it seems like the pre/pro market is best looked at as an AVR/PRO market right now. Nothing beats a dedicated amp, The pre amps, and AVRs are so close to identical, its not worth spending the extra $$ to have less inside.
Though new to the HT scene, this pretty much mirrors what I have found through my own research. The UMC-1 looks great on paper but requires me to buy 7.1 channels worth of amps. An AVR lowers the cost of entry by pulling double duty for as long as I need it to, slowly adding separate amps as budget/WAF allows.
post #25 of 39 Old 06-09-11, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Inactive
Ty

Quote:
Cyberfloatie wrote: View Post
Though new to the HT scene, this pretty much mirrors what I have found through my own research. The UMC-1 looks great on paper but requires me to buy 7.1 channels worth of amps. An AVR lowers the cost of entry by pulling double duty for as long as I need it to, slowly adding separate amps as budget/WAF allows.
Dont forget the Onkyo does powered 9 channel, even disregarding the dual sub support that's still NINE channels of outboard amplification required to match it! Since Emotiva no longer makes a 7 channel amp that leaves you with either 3 XPA-3s or a pair of XPA-5s to have the same channels as the Onkyo (albeit more WPC). The Onkyo may be large, physically, but its not THAT large.
post #26 of 39 Old 06-10-11, 09:13 PM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System

Quote:
Cyberfloatie wrote: View Post
Why do you think Emotivas speakers are all 4 ohm nominal? It's not because this was the best design choice for the particular speaker. The choice was made to sell more amps...

EDIT: sorry, that was a bit of a rant. Still, separates are not worth the cost of admission.
post #27 of 39 Old 06-10-11, 10:38 PM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System

If Emotiva was selling HTIAB it may be a valid point; their amps are rated at 4 and 8 ohms...just like Krell. My old Kef Ref. speakers were 4 ohm nominal. I think that my B&W Nat. 802s were 6 ohm nominal. Are they , too? I guess by that logic 1 ohm electrostatics must REALLY be junk, and since Krell's Evo. One has specs for 2 ohms we should "run away!"

As for the cost of admission, it does start a pretty steep dive into diminishing returns...I'll concede that. Perhaps that's the whole point of companies like Emotiva-the sound quality of separates at the cost of a decent ARV....??? I guess that I'll find out on Tuesday when I'll actually have an Emo product in my home.
If it isn't up to snuff (to my ears) I'll be happy to admit it. I'll return it and buy an AVR, but based on past experience, AVRs do not sound as good as separates. Just my 2 (actually my $599
)
post #28 of 39 Old 06-10-11, 10:39 PM
Elite Shackster

Gary

My System

"Are they , too?" opps
post #29 of 39 Old 06-12-11, 02:08 AM
Senior Shackster

vann_d

My System
I in no way meant to imply that Emotiva's speakers were junk. In fact, I'm quite sure they're very good. I just think there are some alterior motives out there for all their speakers to be designed with difficult loads for avrs. Not that this is criminal. I'd probably use the same tactics. I also believe that their amps are very good

Some of their multi woofer speakers could have very easily been 8 ohm nominal designs but they chose not to for a reason

Last edited by vann_d; 06-12-11 at 02:15 AM.
post #30 of 39 Old 06-12-11, 09:25 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

Hello,
While rated at 4 Ohms, Emotiva's Speakers are really Designed with THX Ultra Parameters in mind. That is while rated 4 Ohm Nominal, they do not appear to go lower than 3.2 Ohms which is also the same Impedance that a THX Ultra AVR/Amplifier must be able to output into All Channels. The Speakers also offer Boundary Compensation which is another most THX Feature.

I will also say that their Speakers are not exactly cheap. The lowest priced LCR still costs 299 Dollars each.
Regardless, I certainly do not think you will get the best out of them from an Entry Level AVR.
Cheers,
JJ

HT
Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910