Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Mitsubishi HC4000 Calibration w/ HCFR

9K views 17 replies 3 participants last post by  mechman 
#1 ·
So hopefully my new screen will come in this week and I hope that this weekend I can start to calibrate my new system. So was wondering if anyone out there had calibrated either a mits hc3800 or a HC4000 and had any tips. Here is my plan, I just purchased a EyeOne LT and planning on using the HCFR software, so I have alot more reading to do but the plan is to try and see what I can come up with this weekend.

Hey Mechman, I ended up getting a grey screen from jamestown which is a local guy making screens in Tenn, so I can take any measurements that you might want once I get everything loaded up, just let me know....

#2 ·
I did a HC3000 quite a while back. That's the pj that I cut my teeth on. I don't know how similar it would be to the 4000 though. It had a very limited menu from what I recall and I don't think I could get the gamut as close as I would have liked. I'll attach the HCFR file for you to look at if you wish. :T I had to zip it in order to attach it.

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks I have lots to learn the one thing about the mits is the gamma stuff, they don't name them the normal 2.0, 2.1 etc, go by video, sports, cinema, etc....I need to figure out how to calibrate it for 2 sources, we will see how it goes...Once I get the screen I'll take shots of it going together and pics afterward so folks know of another potential option for and inexpensive fixed screen setup...

#4 ·
What sources? If one is cable, satellite or OTA, I'd just leave the settings the same as your Blu-ray source. I do 3 pre-sets for mine. One for dark room movie watching, one for medium ambient light and one for sports. Hope this helps!

#5 ·
Yeah that is what I want to do, like you, about three presets, what I need to figure out is that when I do one for say medium ambient light, I assume you don't use 6500K as the reference point but choose something higher to calibrate to, if so what/how do you go about picking those reference points. So on the sources, I have an HDDVD player and for some reason the stuff I play on it comes across darker than the bluray, I need to look at the settings on the player but it does appear to throw up a darker picture...any insights into how to do those presets I'm all ears, I have a lot to learn on the calibration front....Thanks.

#9 ·
You should never use CMS to adjust for ambient light conditions, but the black and white level as mech suggested. Yes you may have to adjust the CMS to get back to your target points depending on how much WB and BL are adjusted but with good units its not usually as big of a problem.

#12 ·
Yes CMS=Color Management System or on sets without a true CMS its the gains and cuts/offsets.

#13 ·
So I wonder with the mits 4000 if I have to go into the service menu or not, I haven't played with any of it yet since I am still waiting on my screen to arrive :crying:, if anyone knows that about the mits I assume its just like the HC3800 which was the previous generation.

#14 ·
If memory serves no you don't have to go into the service menu if using one of the advanced/custom modes, it should be under perfect color but I am not positive on the name.

#15 ·
So here are my RGB screenshots, before and after still need to do some low end cleanup around 10ire, and I'm using hcfr and a new i1 LT but its telling me I'm only getting about 6.5FL, which seems awful low to me, it's seems very bright to me but I dunno, I cranked up the contrast some but that seems way low unless Im doing something wrong...which is likely since this is my first time...lol

Before

After

Colors look really good though...any tips or advice are welcome..Thanks. :bigsmile:

#17 ·
My gamma looks great too...

Before:

After:

Still lots to learn the only thing that has thrown me is that the FL readings seem to be way low for the mits, was giving me 6.5FL , and I know it should be much higher than that, using the i1 LT, it seems to be bright enough to me but was wondering on your thoughts...

#18 ·
My gamma looks great too...
I'm more of a 2.3 gamma kind of guy. :T But yeah it looks good.

Still lots to learn the only thing that has thrown me is that the FL readings seem to be way low for the mits, was giving me 6.5FL , and I know it should be much higher than that, using the i1 LT, it seems to be bright enough to me but was wondering on your thoughts...
The i1LT cannot give you a decent reading for fL unless you are getting it directly from the pj (a reading directly from the pj with the i1LT) and calculating out what you have at the screen. Measured lumens divided by square feet of the screen. I wouldn't worry about this though. If the image looks good enough/bright enough, it's probably fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.