Calibrating a plasma Panasonic - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Video Calibration
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 10554 - Replies: 24  
Old 12-08-11, 11:39 PM   #1
Elite Shackster

Since: Dec 2011
I started this thread.
Calibrating a plasma Panasonic

I calibrated my plasma going by cnet's calibration and their contrast was + 64 and brightness was + 53. I then bought Disney Wow calibration dvd and for the contrast I got a + 90 and brightness a + 63. I don't know but a contrast at 90 seems to high of a setting and I am afraid it can mess up the tv. Both settings cnets and Disney Wow look good I just don't know which one to keep.

Last edited by asere; 12-09-11 at 07:40 AM..

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-11, 03:00 PM   #2
HTS Administrator

Steve Mechelke -mech
Since: Feb 2007
Empire Township, MN
My System
Re: Calibrating a plasma Panasonic

To quote Michael Chen:

Quote:
3 Rules to setting contrast always apply.

No clipping
No discoloration
No eye fatigue
Keep in mind that cnet's environment may be very different than yours. And you may want to check WoW's pattern to another one. I always recommend Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Edition. But there are a few free patterns you can find out there as well.

Old 12-09-11, 03:21 PM   #3
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

So if calibration dvds differ, how do you know which one is right?

Old 12-09-11, 05:58 PM   #4
HTS Administrator

Steve Mechelke -mech
Empire Township, MN
My System

They mainly differ on what they include and how they present it. WoW and for the most part, DVE, pretty much hold your hand and walk you through the whole process. Spears & Munsil assumes, more or less, that you know what you are doing and just gives you the patterns, clips and sample videos. No one tells you what you need to do or why. There is, however, a brief narrative or help if you push up on your blu ray player.

The big thing I hated most about the original DVE was navigating through the fluff to get to the meat. WoW isn't too bad but I don't recall if they include any decent content to check your adjustments. I know they include some animated stuff but that isn't what you want for checking white and black levels.

The other thing you should consider, regarding your numbers, is that you are introducing at least one other variable to the equation that cnet doesn't - your blu ray player. And maybe your receiver as well. Both of those may have an effect upon the end image as well. I haven't seen where you got the settings from at cnet, but if they were from David Katzmeier, he probably uses a video generator to calibrate and produce his settings.

Lots of variables to think about.

Old 12-10-11, 11:11 PM   #5
Shackster

Michael TLV
Since: Jun 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Greetings

if you calibrate to DVE and then to Spears and munsil and then to WOW ... you get the same answer unless you messed something up. The patterns might be presented a little different on each disc, but the answer is the same.

S&M gives you a bit more precision than the DVE disc so if there is any difference, it is all of one click. No one could ever see that kind of difference on real images.

regards

Old 12-11-11, 12:17 AM   #6
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

On disney wow I got different results on the brightness from beginners and advanced mode. Why its that? I followed the instructions and did it correct. How do I know which one to use?

Old 12-11-11, 01:20 PM   #7
HTS Administrator

Steve Mechelke -mech
Empire Township, MN
My System

I'd have to take a look at the disc again. But I wouldn't think that there should be a big change.

Old 12-11-11, 05:08 PM   #8
Elite Shackster

I started this thread.

Is a contrast setting of 90 or 100 high?

Old 12-12-11, 08:09 AM   #9
HTS Administrator

Steve Mechelke -mech
Empire Township, MN
My System

Quote:
asere wrote: View Post
Is a contrast setting of 90 or 100 high?
It depends. It could be. Then again, it may not be. I know that my two main displays are around 50 - on a scale of 0-100. I do have 2 Panasonic plasmas, but I cannot recall what contrast is set at on them.

Do you have a burner? If so, go here and download the AVCHD disc and double check the setting if it concerns you.

Old 12-12-11, 09:55 AM   #10
Shackster

Michael TLV
Since: Jun 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Greetings

Contrast too high ... too low ... well that depends.

On the mode you are watching in ... Vivid ... Game ... Custom ... standard ... THX ...

THX mode literally has a limiter on so taking contrast from 60 up to 100 only makes things slightly brighter but will not clip anymore than what 60 did. (And 60 does clip detail ... but this is a design trade off)

On sets like Sonys ... current units have calibrated contrast settings in the range of 90-95 ... no issues. Ditto for Samsung. LGs don't clip much or at all close to 100 either ...

Follow the three rules to setting contrast. There is play with rule 1 on some sets if achieving this robs too much light output from the display. Panasonic THX mode for instance. So some detail is sacrificed to gain dynamic range.

regards

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Home Theater - Audio / Video > Video Calibration »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »