Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Affordable calibration system?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Joel Barsotti 
#1 ·
I'm looking for an affordable system to help calibrate my projector and my television. This system would need to come with everything I need to calibrate minus a PC.

I would say $300 is the max I would spend.

Thanks,

#2 ·
#6 ·
Bumping this to see whether the CalMan/i1 Display2 is still the recommended entry-level package for PJ calibration. I have a Mits HC4000 firing at a BW painted screen so it should be pretty close after basic brightness/contrast, but going through a cal sounds fun/interesting/beneficial enough that I'm interested in giving it a try. I'm not sure $400 for the 'pro' version fits in the budget, though.

#7 · (Edited)
i1 Display 2's are pretty much gone. They haven't been made in over a year, so best you can hope for is new old stock. If you follow the i1 Display 2 much, then you'll know those meters start to drift after a year or so.

Currently that leaves the spyder 4 and our spyder 4 based C1 ( a spyder 4 with offset tables). Above that is the i1 Display Pro (3) that is a much much better meter than either the spyder 4 or the i1 d2.

#8 ·
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll have to do some thinking on this. Having gotten used to the $200-ish level, the jump to $400-ish is enough to give me pause, at least until I convince myself that it's needed.
I'd dismissed the rental idea since my time is rather unpredictable and as a 'tweaker' to some degree, having the unit on hand for experimenting with seemed a more interesting option. Maybe I need to reconsider that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.