Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Are all Grey Scale images the same?

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  carlscan26 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

The power supply on my Samsung Plasma (PN50B850Y1F) was replaced so I pulled out my calibration tools. I have two sets of calibration discs: the DVE Basics BR and I recently added the AVCHD 1.3 disc. I have the latest V4 version of Calman and a Chroma 5 meter.

Out of curiosity I ran the grey scale measurements using each disc's grey scale images and recorded the following results:

This is the GS with the DVE Basics images:

And here are the results with the AVCHD images:

I did not make any adjustments to the display between these two sets of readings. I didn't expect them to be exactly the same but I didn't expect to see opposite curves for the gamma as you can see from 80-100% The differences stayed consistent as I retested after color gamut adjustments too.

Are these differences normal?

See less See more
#6 ·
Upload your images here its fairly straight forward and then link to those images in this thread.

#7 · (Edited)
I've re-done the link to the images. I'll have to queue up the discs but I believe the DVE fields are bigger and they also have the pluge bars displayed too.

I'd appreciate some thoughts on the differences between these readings, the opposite gamma points at the high end really surprised me.

#12 ·
I will get the screen grabs later but there was very little difference (something like .001) difference between the 2 discs on my Sony LED/LCD. I intended to check this on one of my plasmas but I do not have a blu-ray player hooked up to either of them. :huh:

I would take Joel's word for it that it is more than likely the different window size. Plasmas are sensitive to this. Plus Joel knows what he's talking about. :T

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.