Free calman colorchecker software !!! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 71 Old 01-10-14, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Free calman colorchecker software !!!

FREE CALMAN COLORCHECKER SOFTWARE !!!

Ted from Avs forum
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510873/sp...ecker-software

Quote:

(Seattle, WA) – January 9, 2014

SpectraCal, Inc. announced today the release of a free software, intended to provide professionals in production, post-production, and broadcasting industries a tool for testing the accuracy of their video monitors.

The software, CalMAN ColorChecker, will be available for free download beginning this week. Although CalMAN ColorChecker has been available for purchase individually and as an included workflow in other CalMAN products, SpectraCal has never before offered CalMAN software free of charge.

CalMAN ColorChecker

“ColorChecker is a revolutionary product for the studio industry, and we want everyone using it,” said L.A. Heberlein, SpectraCal’s CEO.

With a probe and a pattern generator, CalMAN ColorChecker allows users to chart the performance of their monitor and verify that the content displayed on screen is true to industry standards, such as Rec709, Digital Cinema, and Adobe RGB.

“ColorChecker gives users confidence that their monitor is performing reliably, and it only takes minutes to run,” emphasized SpectraCal’s Marketing Director, Joshua Quain.

ColorChecker also provides a useful platform for comparing color performance between displays, informing users of the degree to which one monitor’s performance varies from another. “Often times we hear from customers who are struggling to discover which of their monitors are closest to standards. With ColorChecker, you can easily test each monitor and find the closest match,” said Quain.

When creating the product, developers at SpectraCal envisioned studio professionals running ColorChecker daily. “It’s a quality assessment tool,” explained Founder and CTO, Derek Smith. “Run ColorChecker every morning when you come in, and know your video content is completely accurate for the rest of the work day.”

In effect, a successful run of CalMAN ColorChecker (indicated within the software by a green “go” light) will mean that the measured monitor is ready for use, while a red light indicates the device is in need of calibration.

“ColorChecker takes the guess work out of monitor calibration,” explained Quain. “If you’re using ColorChecker, you’ll know exactly when your monitor needs to be calibrated, and you can take the proper actions accordingly.”

In addition to offering ColorChecker at no cost to the user, SpectraCal has also eliminated all hardware restrictions for the software, meaning that ColorChecker supports a surprisingly wide range of probes and test pattern generators.

“You don’t have to buy our colorimeters to use this free software,” Quain said. “If you have any instruments in your shop already, CalMAN almost certainly supports them.”

CalMAN ColorChecker requires no previous knowledge of calibration technology nor experience with CalMAN software.

The free software is available for download from SpectraCal’s website, at http://studio.spectracal.com/calman-colorchecker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 01-10-14, 01:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System
re: Free calman colorchecker software !!!

I'll have to check this one out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 71 Old 01-12-14, 12:16 PM
Senior Shackster

I'm a little confused as to whether anyone with a colorimeter (like a Eye One Display 2 LT meter) and a compatible test disc is able to use this software? Or do you need other CalMan products to install and run it?

post #4 of 71 Old 01-12-14, 08:56 PM

Ron

My System

Thanks for the link.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

post #5 of 71 Old 01-12-14, 10:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Quote:
AVoldMan wrote: View Post
I'm a little confused as to whether anyone with a colorimeter (like a Eye One Display 2 LT meter) and a compatible test disc is able to use this software? Or do you need other CalMan products to install and run it?

I have yet to download it and look at it but from what I see, it's free to anyone who wants it. I'm planning on taking a look at it later this week. If you're using it on a computer monitor, you don't need a disc or a signal generator.

post #6 of 71 Old 01-12-14, 10:51 PM

Ron

My System

I just downloaded it... Would it work with a light meter or do you need a meter that does colors?

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

post #7 of 71 Old 01-13-14, 11:52 AM
Shackster
tbaudoin

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I just downloaded it... Would it work with a light meter or do you need a meter that does colors?
How I read it, is either a "supported" colorimeter or spectro and a supported pattern generator. I don't think there is a disc that will work. Maybe someone has taken the time to generate triplet patterns specifically for that color checker set.
post #8 of 71 Old 06-02-14, 03:48 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
tbaudoin wrote: View Post
How I read it, is either a "supported" colorimeter or spectro and a supported pattern generator. I don't think there is a disc that will work. Maybe someone has taken the time to generate triplet patterns specifically for that color checker set.

Hi, I have released a free version of my calibration disk that includes the required patterns to measure with free version of CalMAN ColorChecker.

For more details follow that post.
post #9 of 71 Old 06-14-14, 02:40 AM
Senior Shackster

CalMAN 5.3.0 RC4 Build: 1581 Released @ 13 June 2014

New Features

Added support for the NEW MediaForge™ On-Demand Steaming Pattern Generator

Fixed Issues

Reverted to previous SDK for the i1Pro 2 to resolved issues experienced with RC2 and RC3.

Resolved an issue that would cause CalMAN to crash when loading certain workflows.

Download CalMAN ColorChecker 5.3.5 RC4 (Build 1581)
post #10 of 71 Old 06-27-14, 03:53 PM
Shackster

WOW man!! I was looking for this for ages.