Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Hardcore Crowd Receives Loyalty from Bethesda

589 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Moonfly 
#1 ·
Hardcore Crowd Receives Loyalty from Bethesda
08/04/2010 Written by Jonathan Leack

Bethesda is one of only a limited number of companies that have been at the forefront of hardcore gaming for more than a decade. With the casual market spurring a surprising change of trend in the past few years, other companies have felt the pressure to take advantage of opportunity. The question is, will Bethesda follow this trend, or show further loyalty to the hardcore crowd?
When being interviewed by IndustryGamers, Todd Howard from Bethesda displayed committal to making hardcore games on powerful hardware. When asked about the Wii and if Bethesda will take advantage of the multi-million consumer install base that the console has successfully gathered, Howard replied:
“From my group, which is the internal Bethesda development team, probably not. The stuff we’re doing is a better fit on the other platforms. You can never say never, but I think for the kind of games that we like to play and make, it fits the other platforms.”
Following up, Todd Howard was asked about how he felt about Facebook social games and other casual online gaming media, to which he replied:
“I’ve got to be honest: I don’t get it. I look at it and try to understand but for now I’ve just decided to ignore it (laughter). I think, one day, maybe I’ll figure it out, but until then, I don’t see the allure of those kinds of games.”
Bethesda has been incredibly successful with hardcore games ranging from DOS in the 90s to recent blockbuster titles such as Fallout 3 and Oblivion on the PlayStation 3. The team is currently working on an unannounced title and will be publishing three future titles for the PS3 including Rage, Fallout: New Vegas, and Brink. While many development teams are forsaking their hardcore philosophies to seek larger profits, Bethesda is not one of them, and that’s just one reason the company deserves the respect of the hardcore gaming crowd.

Source: PSLS

See less See more
#2 ·
Devs that dont get the trend in FB games are missing out one point, they are simply introducing the games we all started playing in the 80's and 90's to a crowd that always overlooked them. Facebook simply gives them kinds of people a natural route into those kinds of games in a way thats fun (well the games are fun arent they). The normal regular FB user isnt really a hardcore gamer, so has always ignored the consoles that simply encroach on their tv viewing and werent interested in PC's before the net appeared back in the early 90's.

When it comes to gaming in general, I'm with them in saying the powerful hardware is were its at. Again, IMO the Wii is for the casual gamer thats maybe been shown (via facebook perhaps) gaming as something fun to pass the time. The power is the forefront and for experienced people like myself, its the only place thats going to keep pushing the limits and keeping everything interesting for those of us that have seen it all already. At some point you have to accept that you cant always invent something entirely new, and you simply have to go with an established genre and just do it very well, and do it bigger and better. Only more powerful hardware will do that, with the right development team.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.