Had Bose, Hosed Bose, Now 4308 & Looking - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 12 Old 03-13-08, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Post Had Bose, Hosed Bose, Now 4308 & Looking

Hi all, I have enjoyed reading some of the info here. 52 yrs old male living in Iowa and am retired USCG. I had used a Bose Lifestyle 12 for years. Wasn't so unhappy with the music as I was with the home theater use. I have some minor hearing loss and really have trouble picking out a lot of the spoken words, especially when the bass was way over done, muddy and just not good and then having to adjust volume all the time. Today I just received via Fed Ex my new Denon 4308. I have a projector that does high def (BenQ 610 I think), waiting on a screen, although I've used it in a room 22' x 24' vaulted ceilings (New addition bedroom, hoping to make it like a suite in the end, Jacuzzi, bar and all.) and just one way in, (oops, also french doors to deck.) an opening standard height and 4' across and was surprised at the quality of a HD movie hooked up with component. After the opening is the entrance with closets on one side and a master bath on the other and the the real bedroom door into the hallway. I might add a door there if it turns out to be an issue with the sound and pressure. Long story short, I think out of desperation I will use the Bose sat speakers just so I can hear a taste of it, until I buy a new. I am seriously looking at a HSU VTF 3 MK3 with Turbo Charge or if I get the impression that it will not fill this size room, the VTF 3 HO with Turbo Charge. I visited an audio store to scope out Paradigm monitor 11 series. I have looked at Polk Audio, Infinities and and some Definitive Tech. I really want to spend no more ten $1000 on a sub, preferably $600 and then get front and surround speakers for a total of below $2,500. It's jungle out there and I am just now realizing the complexity of sound. I want to blow my socks off with music and also movie, better yet I'd rather blow my wifes blouse off, hehe. With the limited information I've given, can any of you give me your opinion of the HSU subs and then in comparison to some of the other manufacturers out there? Hope my intro wasn't out of line for the intro!

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 12 Old 03-14-08, 07:33 AM
Elite Shackster
Steve Mechelke -mech
My System
Re: Had Bose, Hosed Bose, Now 4308 & Looking

Well dtow, welcome to the Shack! As for your questions, you may want to post a new thread in one of the particular sub-forums and you'll get a better response!

post #3 of 12 Old 03-14-08, 08:21 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

Hello Dtow, Welcome aboard the Shack.
For a sub you should have a look at SVS they have in my opinion the best subs available. They also sell speakers systems.
Both their subs and speakers are hand made but because they only sell online you avoid paying a middle man so you save allot.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 12 Old 03-14-08, 10:24 AM
Elite Shackster
Dr Doan

Glad you could join, dtow. I would also suggest the SVSound speakers and subwoofers. I have owned several different brands over the years, some, several times more expensive than my SVS SBS-01's and PB12-Plus/2, and like my SVS's better. But, look around, and if possible, listen to as many as you can. Have fun, Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
post #5 of 12 Old 03-14-08, 10:33 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
I'm a redneck!
My System

Howdy dtow and welcome to the Shack!

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #6 of 12 Old 03-14-08, 03:58 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

Hello and Welcome to the Shack.

post #7 of 12 Old 03-16-08, 11:47 AM

Hello from a Native Iowan.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-16-08, 01:12 PM
Elite Shackster
Send a message via AIM to bobgpsr

Hi from the IC/CR corridor.

You could also consider a Iowa made product for that big room:

made in Newton, Iowa. Just a thought. I have a SVS PC-Ultra and also a DIY sub and like them both.

eD is new for Home Audio and are trying to get a share of the market.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-16-08, 05:48 PM

Good idea, save on shipping if you can pick it up.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-18-08, 10:04 PM
Senior Shackster

Hello. Welcome to the shack. Bose.

Dallas, Texas

Downstairs: Oak Klipschorns, LaScala (center), Cornwall (sides), Bubinga Heresy I (rear), SVS PB12-Plus/2, Outlaw 990, McIntosh MA6100, (2) MC250, MC2100, Oppo BDP-95, Toshiba HD-A2, Belkin Pure AV PF60, Behringer DSP1124P

Upstairs: McIntosh C2200, MC275 MKIV, Walnut Cornwall I, Oppo BDP-83, Technics SL-1200 M3D, Audio Technica AT150MLX, Richard Gray Power Company 400 Pro

4308 , bose , hosed

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page