Is there a HDD Movie storage device. - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 16 Old 04-11-08, 10:25 AM
Is there a HDD Movie storage device.

I'm Chuck the Canuck from Canada, Hey there from the Great White North, well, more Great Wet North this time of year.

Being somewhat of a movie fan and have spent what i consider a small fortune on a home theater system and stereo system, I figured this is the place to be if I had questions.
Not experienced with forums so I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I'm looking for help right off the bat and i'm sure someone's posted information on this already, just not sure how to look for it.

I've collected over 1580 DVD's to date and it's just taking up way too much space. I keep them in the jewel cases so you can imagine what that looks like.
I keep collecting so this is going to keep growing, I want to look at an alternative storage method.

Is there a device where I can store huge amounts of data specifically built for theater purposes. No compression or quality reduction. True HD DVD and Blu-Ray quality storage.

I want to interact with it as easy as pulling up a guide on screen and picking a movie, no cumbersome external device that i have to hook up each time and fumble with.
I want all the sound and picture quality to be as if playing from the DVD player through the amp.

Anyone versed on this stuff yet or am I thinking of something not released yet.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 16 Old 04-11-08, 10:33 AM
Elite Shackster
My System
Re: Is there a HDD Movie storage device.

Hello Chuck, Welcome to the Shack.

Have a look at this thread as it is discussing this very topic. The biggest issue is for uncompressed AV in High Definition is your looking at a huge amount of hard drive space and is usually not cost effective.

Enjoy your stay here.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #3 of 16 Old 04-11-08, 10:42 AM
Elite Shackster
Steve Mechelke -mech
My System
post #4 of 16 Old 04-11-08, 12:23 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

Hi Chuck, Welcome to the Shack,.... man 1580, thats a lot of DVD's.

post #5 of 16 Old 04-11-08, 12:49 PM
Elite Shackster
Dr Doan

Welcome, Chuck. Great DVD collection, congrats. Have fun, Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
post #6 of 16 Old 04-11-08, 03:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Welcome to the Shack, Chuck! Enjoy the forums!
post #7 of 16 Old 04-12-08, 02:08 PM
Senior Shackster

Welcome Chuck

for media playback, given your requirements, your probably best off with a popcorn hour or klegg mediashare device.

these will run you about $200 (US)

the system would work like this:

you copy your DVD's to one or more computers in your home.
you connect the device to your computer network, and to your home theater.
the device opens the dvds you've copied to your home network and you use the remote to navigate the DVD menus, just like you would if it was in a dvd player.

for storage, you could either have a small server with multiple drives, or you could have several machines - I assume you'd categorize them somehow to make it logical.

I personally own the Klegg device, and find it's as good as my ordinary dvd players.
given the size of your movie investment, it's probably safe to purchase one for $200 and mess around with it to see if its something you'd be happy with.

you'll also need a copy of dvdfab ( to be able to back up the movies to your hard drive. - That'll run you $50

- Jack
post #8 of 16 Old 04-21-08, 04:48 PM

There are two reliable systems I am familiar with both are costly though.

The first is a pc based system that is pretty cool allows you to add modular storage.

The second is extremely costly. A large portion of the purchase price goes into a slush fund to cover license costs to avoid the issue of copy right infringement.

Check em out. If nothing else they are something to model a home made htpc around.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-21-08, 05:58 PM

These look like really cool systems. I'll do some reading on them and let you know which one i prefer.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-08-08, 01:14 PM
Senior Shackster

You'd probably need 6 terabytes (plus or minus a bit) to store all the DVDs you own. A NAS (Network Attached Storage) would probably be the most cost effective, but still expensive. If you're computer savvy you could set up a PC with FreeNAS. Unfortunatly most desktop motherboards only have two to four SATA connectors so you'd need one 8 or two 4 port SATA RAID controller cards.

You would need 8 1TB drives to do 6TB in RAID 5. I would not recommend using RAID 0 even though you would only need 3 drives because if just one of the drives were to fail your 100's of hours of work would be lost. If one drive dies in RAID 0 all data is lost. You could do JOBD (just a bunch of disks) and only use 6 drives but there would be no redundancy and if a drive failed all data on that drive would be gone.

I think 1TB drives are in and around the $250 mark right now. So you'd be looking at $1500-$2000 in just the drives. Add another $1000 or so for a base system with a couple RAID controllers, a good case or rackmount design and hefty power supply. You would be looking at around $2500-$3000 for a system if you built it yourself and used a free OS. If you had to buy a system prebuilt from Dell or other manufacturer you'd be looking at a lot more.

That still doesn't give you a software interface, bu the other products mentioned earlier in this thread should suffice.

There is a company called PrimeArray that has an out of the box solution for DVD jukeboxing. For something your size it would be expensive.

Note: You'll also want to allocate about a 3 months of solid 8 hour days to copy everything onto your RAID array.

device , hdd , movie , storage

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page