New Member From Dallas working in the industry - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 9 Old 04-21-08, 01:51 AM
New Member From Dallas working in the industry

I like many others here seemed to have found HTS, because of the frequency response software. I have worked in the industry for about two-and-a-half years now. It started as a hobby and has now turned into a living. I was lucky enough to get hired into a small HIFI shop with extremely little knowledge. I spent about seven months there, mostly just learning. I spent countless hours every day reading and practicing integration and systems design. I didn't see too much of a future at the company and it was interfering with my formal education so I decided to go and work at Best Buy. I know there are many people who don't like Best Buy, but there are also many good things to say for this company. I began working as a Sales Pro in a Magnolia store about a year and a half ago. Since then I have promoted twice and now work as a "Home Entertainment Advisor".

Essentially, I work from home, but I go out to customers’ homes and design a workable solution for their electronics needs. I am extremely satisfied with the job thus far as it gives me an incredible ability to face with large numbers of customers who are ready to buy in the Dallas, Ft. Worth and Oklahoma areas. The sales range from your run of the mill 5-6k dollar jobs all the way up to 60k.

I am to the point now where I feel like there is little more I can learn about the gear own its own. You can only read the manuals and buy, sell, hookup and experiment with equipment so many times before you have it down.

So why am I here?
I am here to learn more on the theory, the nitty-gritty and anything else I can be taught. I have a basic understanding of acoustics, first reflection treatments ect. ect., but I thirst for more. I want to go beyond the scope of ISF calibrations and the auto-eq systems of a receiver.

The Future
I would like to learn so that I can provide a better service to the customer's I deal with and feed my insatiable appetite for knowledge. I know that most of the customers I help at bestbuy aren't going to be concerned with room acoustics and the like, but perhaps I through further understand I can provide a better service to even those looking for your basic 5.1!

I am in school right now, can't wait to be done. I'm a business major (Supply Chain Management) have a year and change left to go. If I could go back and do it again, I would have gone into physics as I seem to be spending my time reading physics books in my quest to better understand A/V. When I am done, I want nothing more than to continue working within this industry in some capacity or another!

Living Room Serving As Theater

My Wife Was Kind Enough To Let Me Knock Out A Linen Closet

And The Side Wall Of The Guest Bedroom Closet For Wire Management And Installation

Living Room

This Office Is Where The Magic Happens (Home Theater Design Of Corse)

Master Bedroom

My Wonderful And Caring Wife Who Pretends To Be Interested In All Of This And Who I am Very Proud Of Because She Knows What All Of The Jargon Means

Last edited by Britton.Yoder; 04-21-08 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Grammer
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 9 Old 04-21-08, 06:22 AM
Elite Shackster
Re: New Member From Dallas working in the industry

Welcome to the Shack, Britton! Glad you could join us!
post #3 of 9 Old 04-21-08, 08:54 AM
Elite Shackster
Steve Mechelke -mech
My System
post #4 of 9 Old 04-21-08, 09:06 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

Hi Britton, Welcome aboard.

post #5 of 9 Old 04-21-08, 09:12 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

Welcome to the Shack Britton, Nice clean setup you have there!

Enjoy your stay.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 9 Old 04-21-08, 11:43 AM
Elite Shackster

Welcome to the forum ...

Now ... When are we getting the discount coupons to buy at Magnolia???
post #7 of 9 Old 04-21-08, 11:44 AM
Elite Shackster
Dr Doan

Welcome Britton. Wow! what great setups. Thanks, for joining. Have fun, Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
post #8 of 9 Old 04-21-08, 05:07 PM

Thank you, I really appreciate it!
post #9 of 9 Old 04-21-08, 05:12 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
I'm a redneck!
My System

Howdy Britton and welcome to the Shack!

Awesome pics...

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!

dallas , industry , member , working

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page