Thanks for having me! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 20 Old 03-26-16, 03:31 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

bigbadbill

Re: Thanks for having me!

Welcome to the forum Jim and thanks for joining us here at HTS.

-Bill

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 03-26-16, 05:47 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
-Jim- wrote: View Post
Hi loventhehd,

I did consider the Dayton UMM-6 and both that and the UMIK-1 from Cross-Spectrum Labs. But there was something missing in their calibration files (I'm a little fuzzy here) that made you use the MiniDSP file when using Room EQ Wizard (REW) software. (So why bother with the extra premium paid to Cross-Spectrum Labs if you have to use the MiniDSP file with the REW software?) What I could discern is the Cross-Spectrum Labs calibration was supposedly a bit more accurate than the MiniDSP original, especially in the Sub 20 Hz area. But that won't matter to me as my Subs drop off before that so that's another rationale for not paying the extra premium for the Cross-Spectrum Labs supplied Umik-1. Does that sound logical?

Regards,

Jim
Yup, makes sense to me as to just using the stock calibration file if you don't need its features (altho I think there's other things they offer than just the sub 20hz area, but don't remember what they are .

I used my Dayton's calibration file in REW IIRC altho not recently, as I've had some recent laptop issues and haven't reinstalled everything, particularly REW, on this one(which appears to be a keeper). Maybe I'll go ahead and do that today....want to use it soon anyways. Don't know what REW would already have for a stock file....

PS Did download REW and installed the .omm extension calibration file just fine

Last edited by lovinthehd; 03-26-16 at 06:25 PM.
post #13 of 20 Old 03-27-16, 06:37 PM

Ron

My System

Quote:
-Jim- wrote: View Post
Thanks for the welcome. Spring has sprung here. Actually a couple weeks ago and now Daffodils are blooming and the Cherry Blossoms are out. The Tulips in my neighbor's front yard are about ready to open. The grass in my back yard should have been mowed a couple weeks ago but these dam spring showers have kept it too wet for my (electric) Lawnmower. Willows have their new leaves and everything is budding. Magnolias are popping everywhere. So it's great weather for growing plants and now we are headed into a drying trend with sunny skies for 4 or 5 days. Maybe we'll get the Lawn mowed soon before the Dandelions go to seed!

Regards,

Jim
We have been contemplating moving up to Canada...maybe Vancouver Island. If you have any info to share about the area feel free to PM me.

Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Oppo UDP-203

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-28-16, 09:13 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Welcome to Home Theater Shack, . We are happy you chose to join us!

...and drone on. Some of us think brevity is overrated.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-03-16, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Cool Re: Thanks for having me!

Thanks M8! I've ordered a MiniDSP UMIK-1 Microphone, and downloaded the Room EQ Wizard software. Just for grins I bought a Radio Shack 33-2055 Sound Level Meter I stumbled across on eBay for a song... (It works great.) Once the UMIK-1 shows up I'll start tinkering with the REW on a small Home Theater PC I built (mostly for tunes) on my basement system. I put together an Econo System so I could isolate the sound a bit from the family - (read wife ) => but when I crank it up she still complains...

I think it'll take me some time to get well versed enough with the Room EQ Wizard software to get the max out of the Basement system. I'm certainly looking forward to working on it and any support the folks here can give me will be welcomed.

Regards,

Jim
post #16 of 20 Old 04-03-16, 06:55 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Hi..Jim and welcome..Enjoy your time with us..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #17 of 20 Old 04-09-16, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks Prof.

I got some time last night and spent a few hours with the basement set up, and installed REW on the Home Theater PC.

The learning curve seems steep. I'm certain I'll need some help along the way.

Regards,

Jim
post #18 of 20 Old 04-09-16, 01:55 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Love visiting Vancouver.... Spent some time on Vancouver Island last summer. Beautiful!!

Glad to have you on board!
Todd
post #19 of 20 Old 07-19-16, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi Folks,

I've decided to take the plunge and move all of our PCs to Windows 10 while Microsoft is offering the free upgrade. (It's over July 29th) I had everyone (including my Mom) on Windows 7 so there are quite a few Boxes to move / replace. As a hobby I do all of the IT support for my Family and Friends. (I had bought a couple Win 8 licenses and install it once. I hated it - like I hated Vista after being on XP so long - so I never went back to it.) But as Win 7 is getting long in the tooth (7 years old -) it is definitely time to move forward.

I actually got into Computers (outside of using one at work) when the technology was developed that made "burning" you own CDs possible. In my youth I was a bit of a nut in regards to having the music I liked playing. So recording Album cuts onto tape led me to be an early adopter of CDRs. So early that half the time you made coasters as there was no buffer under run capability on my first LG CD Writer.

Anyway the migration to Win10 has taken a lot of my spare time but it's nearing the end, so I can get back into setting up my Home Theater stuff, and working with REW. I only have 2 Boxes left (My main PC and my wife's tower). I finished the HTPC on Sunday and installed the latest REW software. I'll bet there are some wrinkles to learn with it on Win10 -so I'll be starting all over.

I'll be pouring over the posts here, and asking for your assistance when it gets too foggy for me.

Thanks again for being here, and letting me into the family.

Regards,

Jim
post #20 of 20 Old 07-20-16, 09:02 AM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Hey Jim - the REW help forum is going to definitely get you to where you need to go ;-). Hope you decide to stick around after and share your newly gained knowledge...and discuss HT stuff!

Good luck with the remaining Windows upgrades