Thanks for having me! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 20 Old 03-26-16, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Cool Thanks for having me!

Hi Folks,

I've popped in to your site from time to time, and I'm not certain if I can keep up to many here (patience please), but I thought I'd join and see what I can learn, and maybe contribute a little from time to time.

I'm from the West Coast of Canada, born in Vancouver, BC. I still live in a suburb nearby with my wife and youngest adult son. I am a licenced Electrician with Electrical Technician level training many years ago. After more than a decade on the tools, I moved away from them over 15 years ago, moving into Technical Sales. Presently I work for one of the worlds largest Mining Process Equipment Suppliers as the Capital Equipment Sales Manager for the Pacific Northwest. I dabble in building and repairing Windows based Computers for Friends and Family -only as a hobby, but listening to music has been a life long passion. I've seen hundreds of concerts, and continue to see them today, but I'm getting pickier on the venues. (The Football Stadiums are now only for Bucket List Artists like Paul McCartney a couple years back. )

My migration to Home Theater was natural. As production evolved from Vinyl to CD so did I, similarly from VHS Hi Fi to DVDs => and eventually Blue Rays. From Stereo to Dolby Surround Sound, to DTS 5.1, and then 6.1 - now to DTS HD Master / Dolby HD. One day I was walking past a Sony Store in a local Mall, (in about 1998) and I saw a concert on a Big Screen TV (for the day) through the window playing Music for Monserrat. I went in and listened, and from then on I was hooked on Concert DVDs. I now own well over 150 => and stopped counting so my wife wouldn't know.

I'm thinking of trying Room EQ Wizard on my systems, and if I get proficient with it, maybe those of my family & friends. So my focus will probably be in those areas here at HTS. Being married, I don't have lots of extra cash outside of the family budget to spend on expensive equipment, but I'd like to try to get the most out of what I have. I'm ready to order a MiniDSP UMIK-1 Mic as it fits my budget and what I've read suggests it will do the job although not down to the nether regions the most expensive Subs can achieve. (Mine tap out at about 25 Hz so I think I'm safe.) So I guess my first question is, is the UMIK-1 Mic the right choice at this spec & price point?

Anyway, sorry to drone on, Thanks again for being here and letting me join the Forum. Seems like a lot of talented folks about who help Newbies like me get things working.

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim
NatureAlley55 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-26-16, 12:19 AM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System
Re: Thanks for having me!

Welcome to the married-with-budget syndrome
Sounds like you're coming along your HT endeavors nicely!
Welcome to HTS!
And, oh yeah... do pop-in from time to time

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-26-16, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi Lumen,

Glad you understand. Any opinion on the UMIK-1 Mic? IS it okay or is there a better alternative?

Regards,

Jim

post #4 of 20 Old 03-26-16, 08:57 AM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System
Thanks for having me!

Hi again, Jim! The UMIK-1 is quite capable of handling any traditional duties as a HT room correction measurement tool. It's response is as wide and as flat as you'll need. Alternatives boil down to personal preference, IMO. Here's detailed info on its capabilities (check out the sticky-threads):
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...n-sound-cards/

I believe you'd need a traditional mic with two channel preamp if you plan to take meaningful impulse response measurements, as a loop back connection is required to eliminate preamp latency.

Hope that answers your question for now. You might want to start a thread in the above linked forum. You'll find much more help there from people more experienced than I. This is just a meet-n-greet. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am

post #5 of 20 Old 03-26-16, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Cool Re: Thanks for having me!

Thanks Lumen,

I'll check out those links today

Regards,

Jim
post #6 of 20 Old 03-26-16, 01:08 PM

Ron

My System

Welcome to the SHACK, Jim... Glad you joined. Hows the weather up there?

Ron

My Home Theater
BenQ MH741 Projector, Yamaha CX-A5100, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (1) Asus Mini, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet,Yamaha P7000s, Oppo UDP-203

DIY 14 channel IcePower amp coming soon.
post #7 of 20 Old 03-26-16, 01:10 PM
Senior Shackster

I'd go with either the Umik-1 or the Dayton UMM-6. Maybe consider one via Cross-Spectrum Labs. Like this http://www.cross-spectrum.com/measur...ed_dayton.html. Personally I use a Dayton OmniMic V2 system (and use that mic with REW) but in hindsight I would have been happy with just a calibrated USB mic. I wouldn't bother with the ones using sound cards, too much work!

ps I know you from avs in the Sony threads, yes?
post #8 of 20 Old 03-26-16, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Welcome to the SHACK, Jim... Glad you joined. Hows the weather up there?
Thanks for the welcome. Spring has sprung here. Actually a couple weeks ago and now Daffodils are blooming and the Cherry Blossoms are out. The Tulips in my neighbor's front yard are about ready to open. The grass in my back yard should have been mowed a couple weeks ago but these dam spring showers have kept it too wet for my (electric) Lawnmower. Willows have their new leaves and everything is budding. Magnolias are popping everywhere. So it's great weather for growing plants and now we are headed into a drying trend with sunny skies for 4 or 5 days. Maybe we'll get the Lawn mowed soon before the Dandelions go to seed!

Regards,

Jim
post #9 of 20 Old 03-26-16, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
lovinthehd; wrote:
ps I know you from avs in the Sony threads, yes?
Hi loventhehd,

Yes you may know me from there and / or other sites I cannot name yet. I am a bit of a geek, and passionate about sound.

I keep getting this : In an effort to stamp out forum SPAM only members with 5 posts or more can post website links or email addresses... or portions of URLs and variations thereof.

The SPAM prevention system will sometimes prevent members with insufficient posts from being able to post because of certain words used in the post and/or due to the length of the post, even if you are not including links. If you are not a spammer and are having difficulties posting, contact us and we can hopefully resolve the issue. As this is my 5th post, perhaps I can explain further in my next one.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-26-16, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi loventhehd,

I did consider the Dayton UMM-6 and both that and the UMIK-1 from Cross-Spectrum Labs. But there was something missing in their calibration files (I'm a little fuzzy here) that made you use the MiniDSP file when using Room EQ Wizard (REW) software. (So why bother with the extra premium paid to Cross-Spectrum Labs if you have to use the MiniDSP file with the REW software?) What I could discern is the Cross-Spectrum Labs calibration was supposedly a bit more accurate than the MiniDSP original, especially in the Sub 20 Hz area. But that won't matter to me as my Subs drop off before that so that's another rationale for not paying the extra premium for the Cross-Spectrum Labs supplied Umik-1. Does that sound logical?

Regards,

Jim