Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

New Home Theater Shack Member

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  celica_pete21 
#1 ·
Hello fellow Home Theater Shack members. I'm Benbo and a new shack member. I have been involved with home audio/video for over 25 years. For a number of years I chased the elusive quest to own the best and the latest until I discovered that there is a point of diminishing return. In other words I could not hear a real discernible difference between a pair of $2500.00 speakers and a pair of $5000.00 speakers, providing that they had the same or adequate signal and power source. I learned to just sit back and enjoy the music or movie.

I did not make the previous statement so as to initiate or engage in debate but merely to say that after spending tens of thousands of dollars, I finally learned to enjoy what I had. I still enjoy viewing and listening to mid to upper level equipment , but I don't have to rush out and get it.

I really,really enjoy reading about others and the fun that we all get from the quality of equipment available to us at a very reasonable cost. Years ago, 35-50 watts a channel was good power for a stereo amp, now hundred of watts a channel are available for a few hundred dollars.

When Cds first came on the scene, I felt that I could hear a difference that I did not like and held out on buying one. I own a thousand LPs and enjoy plopping one on my Dual or Thorens turntable.
Of course video has made a quantum leap and I could not wait to buy a High Definition TV. It cost me $3800 for a rear projection Sony. I have upgraded and added to my collection with plasma and LCD models. I also own six DVD players (one BluRay)

Thanks to the miracles of modern science we have numerous media and formats to provide us hours of enjoyable entertainment punctuated by thundering booms, crackling lightening strikes and sizzling highs.

I look forward to many many hours of pleasure by way of this forum.

Thanks again for having me, benbo.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello Benbo, Welcome aboard the Shack

I finally learned to enjoy what I had.
Could not have said that better myself!

I am still using my speakers that I bought way back in 1993 and even though there is "better" out there I do like the sound they produce.

Enjoy your stay with us.

#10 ·
Welcome aboard Benbo....:wave:

#13 ·
Welcome benbo. Have fun. Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.