salve - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 12 Old 02-11-11, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

i am an englishman living in toscana, italy, where i am employed as a gardener on a small estate. i have had a passion for music for three decades and for the last twenty years have played the guitar, albeit not upto a high standard. in the last four years i have developed an interest in writing my own songs and recording them. this has improved my guitar skills beyond the handful of chords that sufficed for many years with an old yamaha twelve string (usually minus a few strings!) as my interest and passion has grown. i now have a nice taylor semi-acoustic which i love playing every day. i am fortunate to have a room that i have been able to convert into a music room. the room is 13 1/2 feet(L) by 11 1/2 feet(W) by 9 1/2 feet (H). my set up is a little bit unconventional in that i do not have powered nearfield monitors but instead use an audio analogue maestro settanta amp driving a pair of B&W 685 speakers. the amplifier was purchased secondhand and i am very impressed with its performance. for the price, i think the speakers are also very enjoyable to listen to and quite transparent (i would like to buy a good pair of monitors when i have saved enough euros. i am leaning toward the acoustic energy AE22-04). they do not fatigue my ears and the mixes i have been able to produce generally transfer well onto high end systems, car cd player, i-pod, etc. i record onto a computer DAW (cakewalk project5 which has been discontinued but i am loathe to change system because i know it so well and it does everything i need). i use an AKG c214 microphone and a shure sm57. i have treated my room acoustically, building the basstraps and absorbtion panels myself. i am continously fine tuning my room, always on a tight budget and using stuff that i can find (or just ingenuity). i recently treated my ceiling with heavy duty velvet hung in loops of varying sizes across the whole space. i was given the velvet so wanted to put it to use. it certainly seemed to tighten up the bass in the room and provide more detail so something works! it also has created a really nice ambience to work in. i feel like i am in a theatre! i have a box of percussion instruments, a bass guitar (old ibanez), an electric (another old ibanez) and a marshall valvestate vs100 guitar amp. the bass, electric and amp were given to me. i run everything through an RME fireface 400 soundcard.

the music i make could be described as philosophical pop in asmuch as the songs are usually around the 3 min length. a hybrid mixture of acoustic and gentle touches of soft synth played on cakewalk A-800PRO keyboard. most of my music reflects the personal journey of evaluating my strengths and weaknesses and how i interact with people. i have enjoyed writing poetry for many years and have used it as a method for dealing with inner demons, the highs and lows of life, emotions, etc. putting words to music seemed like a natural progression.

i am a firm beliver in dynamic range. anything less than 15dB is not acceptable in my productions (i run my mixes through the TT-DR software to check). i find that i cannot listen to almost all modern commercial music for any period as it just tires my ears. i realise that most people do not care as music has become less of an artform to be concentrated on and more just something to dance to or something that is on in the background. this is a shame as sitting in my listening chair in the sweet-spot listening to an incredible recording (chesky records being my favourite label) is like looking at a beautiful landscape, hearing the surf on the beach, etc. it moves me. it is an emotional experience. it is something to become absorbed and lost in. so many people are missing out and over- compression is not helping them understand what a piece of music can do to them emotionally.

well, that's me in a few paragraphs! the essence of me and how i relate to the people and world around me i will continue to explore through music (and thoroughly enjoy the learning curve which sometimes is very steep!).

Last edited by eryngium; 02-11-11 at 11:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 12 Old 02-11-11, 11:58 AM
Elite Shackster
Dr Doan
Re: salve

Welcome to the Shack. Nice info. I agree with you about modern recordings. Have fun. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
post #3 of 12 Old 02-11-11, 12:44 PM
Elite Shackster
Dale Rasco
My System

Hello and welcome to HTS!

Dale Rasco

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Dale Rasco and Temple of Boom REDUX

Shiva 12" Build
post #4 of 12 Old 02-11-11, 01:42 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome aboard!
post #6 of 12 Old 02-11-11, 03:30 PM

...your english is perfect for an italian.

Regarding the dynamics, I workr at a radio station. It is lamentable, what is done with the audio files for enlarge the technical supply range.

Greetings Helmut
post #7 of 12 Old 02-11-11, 03:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Welcome to HTS!
post #8 of 12 Old 02-11-11, 06:53 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
The Mad Professor
My System

Hi eryngium and welcome..

Home Theatre...the never ending story!
post #9 of 12 Old 02-12-11, 12:02 AM
Senior Shackster
My System

Welcome and thanks for taking the time to weave us a nice intro!

And I didn't know Project V was discontinued, bummer - shows how long it's been since I had a go with it.

My HT construction thread

XBox Live ID: Atomic Hamper
post #10 of 12 Old 02-12-11, 12:26 AM

Hello and welcome to the Home Theatre Shack

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page