Hi and I'm looking for some Help and Direction - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 12 Old 12-24-12, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Hi and I'm looking for some Help and Direction

First off, Hi to all. I've been getting back into audio after some time away (I mean I listen all the time but haven't been in the tinkering mode for a while). I've liked what I've read at this site, so I decided to join.

My current project is trying to put together a decent system to use at work. I have a nice corner office and after 5:00, I can crank it up a bit. I spend a lot of time at the office (that's where I'm at now). I'm the Chief Engineer in a software group and I really like my work. I live in a condo after my divorce a few years ago, so listening to music at the level I like it is not normally an option at home and work is 15 minutes away. My daughter and ex (we're still very close) are in Europe for the holidays so here I am.

This is what I have to work with (mostly I've had for a while for various reasons, three things are new). The new pieces are: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers (anything bigger wouldn't work in a work environment) and it seemed to be the best choice of what was immediately available. I'm actually pretty impressed with them for $150. I also just got the Phiaton PS 210 BTNC buds and finally a Creative X-Fi HD usb box.

The other gear that is available:
1) Tascam US-144 usb audio interface
2) Lexicon Omega usb audio interface
3) SoundBlaster X-Fi Go Pro usb
4) Radio Shack SPL (the new 2055 but it is catalog 3300099). Only thing that my local store had.
5) nVidea Quadro 4000 (shows up as 4 separate sound cards - audio is available from Display Port or DVI).

I like to tinker! Also I should point out that I spent far too much time standing in front of large and very loud guitar amplifiers so my hearing above 9K is pretty much gone (I'm also 60).

I just started using Winamp and have been trying to set it up and get it adjusted. At the moment, I'm actually using my on-board sound (RealTek ac 262). I have the Creative X-Fi Go Pro (it's a little USB thing that looks like a zippo lighter) installed, but I'm not using it yet (I have disabled all of the Creative software). I really want to learn more about audio setup.

For instance, I was trying out the three output options that I have available in Winamp 5.63 (Nullsoft Wave Out, Nullsoft Direct Sound and Maiko WASAPI Output). I was trying to decide which one sounded better and I started off by trying to figure out what the different levels were and what they should be set to. In the course of doing that (I'm on vacation and am in tinkering mode), I realized I didn't even understand how sound was routed in windows and what the various relationships between the pieces were.

Anyways, this is a way to say Hi and tell you a little about myself. But I do of course have some questions. The first is do I even want or need the Realtek drivers? Windows is perfectly happy to provide everything that's needed and it appears that the Realtek drivers are using the microsoft drivers anyway. So what does the RealTek driver bring to the party or do they just get in the way and add another place for the sound to get degraded? I'm using Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 at work and Windows 7 x64 at home. It actually took a little bit of work to even find the RealTek drivers that were installable (they had to be signed and RealTeks latest aren't signed - go figure). So I found at the Intel site and downloaded and installed them. Any advice?

Thanks in advance and hello!.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 12 Old 12-24-12, 11:13 PM
HTS Moderator
My System
Re: Hi and I'm looking for some Help and Direction

Welcome to HTS!

I recommend posting your questions in the system recommendations forum - you are much more likely to get a quicker response.

Enjoy your time with us on the forums and be sure to subscribe to our newsletter!
post #3 of 12 Old 12-25-12, 05:20 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Just as Joe stated you should post your questions in the individual forum sections and you will most likely get an answer very quickly. Other wise hello and welcome to HTS.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #4 of 12 Old 12-25-12, 07:03 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

Some things you may want to explain in the system recommendations forum. What about the amp you use with the Creative X-Fi HD to driver your speakers?

You talk about wanting better sound but your list of gear isn't about that. Do you want to incorporate these some how in your system?
1) Tascam US-144 usb audio interface - for recording
2) Lexicon Omega usb audio interface - for recording
3) SoundBlaster X-Fi Go Pro usb - for headphones
4) Radio Shack SPL - meter
5) nVidea Quadro 4000 - video card

Personally I would by pass all of this and buy a USB DAC. Let it get the most out of your music. Hook it to a little D-class amp and you can have great sound. Take into consideration your source material. Uncompressed WAV or FLAC files will give a lot better sound than compressed MP3.

~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~
post #5 of 12 Old 12-25-12, 07:04 AM
Elite Shackster

Welcome to the Home Theater Shack, glad to have you with us!
post #6 of 12 Old 12-25-12, 09:48 AM
Elite Shackster
Steve Mechelke -mech
My System
post #7 of 12 Old 12-25-12, 10:50 AM
Elite Shackster
Dr Doan

Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. Dennis

L Dennis Doan, DC
Gonstead Chiropractor
SVSound MTS-02 Fronts, MCS-02 Center, SSS-01 surrounds, SBS-02 rear surrounds, (2) SVSound SB-13 Plus Subwoofers
AS-EQ1 Sub Equalizer (WOW!)
Onkyo TX-SR707 7.2 Receiver w/Audyssey XT
Insignia Blu Ray NS-WBRDVD3
Toshiba DVD Recorder w/HDMI
Direct TV DVR HD
BenQ W5000 projector. 91" screen. 15' x 11.8' vaulted ceiling dedicated HT room w/DIY sound absorption
post #8 of 12 Old 12-25-12, 04:29 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
The Mad Professor
My System

Hi Mike..and welcome..

Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #9 of 12 Old 12-25-12, 11:36 PM
Elite Shackster

Welcome to HTS. I second the notion of making a post on the System Recommendation Subforum as well.

Speakers: Martin Logan Vantage (Mains), Martin Logan Stage (Center), Martin Logan Vista (Surrounds), Martin Logan Montages (Surrounds) Hsu Research VTF-15h MK2, Martin Logan Descent i (Subwoofer)
Amplification: Aragon 8008bb, Parasound HCA-3500, Parasound HCA-2205 AT, Parasound HCA-1000a
AVR/SSP: Denon AVR-4520CI
Electronics: OPPO BDP-93
Gaming Consoles: Sony PS4, Xbox 360 S (250 gb)
Display: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony KDL-55EX500, Sony KD-34XBR910
post #10 of 12 Old 12-26-12, 09:27 AM
Elite Shackster

Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page