Hi from a newbie eager to learn! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 11 Old 09-26-13, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Hi from a newbie eager to learn!

Hi everyone! My name is Ken (AKA Soupy, named after the comedian). I am a complete audio newbie who is here to hopefully learn from the pros on the forum.

I was directed here after doing a quick search on this REW program I keep hearing about. This past year I decided to turn a small room downstairs into a cheap theater room. I bought a BenQ W710ST, Painted a screen on the wall, and bought a cheap HTIB from newegg. Never had a decent sound system besides the 2 channel Cerwin Vegas I had in the late 80's early 90's in college. I sold those to a friend when I came home from college. Anyway after a month with cheap surround sound I decided I wanted more. I gave my son My HTIB for his room. I bought a used pair of Klipsch RF-15 for L/R and RC-25 for center (similar to the RF-52 & RC-52). I purchased a new pair of Klipsch RB-61ii for surrounds. I got a old Yamaha (no HDMI) with the used Klipsch but being a complete newb I wanted something with room correction so I bought a Denon 2113CI with Audessy XT. I also bought a used Klipsch 10" Sub with those used fronts but it was not big enough for my theater room so my son got another upgrade in his room. I bought the HSU VTF-3 MK4. I did all this about 7 months ago. The used stuff came from my brother which he bought new at the end of 2007.

Everything seemed fine but I decided I wanted to add a second HSU VTF-3MK4 because I have caught the bass bug. I have not ordered the Sub yet but I will next week. In the meantime I want to learn everything about properly setting the subs up. I keep hearing about REW so I thought I would look into that to see how hard it would be to at least use the program to collect measurements and hopefully be able to post them for more experienced help in reading them.

I did buy a used Radio Shack Analog SPL. It is the older model and only came with a case, no cables or instructions. I just got here so I need to still figure out what I need. My Computer is hooked
(HDMI) to my Denon AVR so I think I have the sound card needed. Just have to figure out what cables and if I need a mic or if the RS SPL will suffice.

I understand this is a introductory thread so I will most likely post a lot of this info along with questions in the appropriate threads. I just thought I would tell my story before I dug into the forums.

Hope to learn from you folks and look forward to getting to know you!

P.S. Fell free to call me Ken or Soupy. My last name is similar to that of the late comedian Soupy Sales. So back when I was 15 (now 43) and just started my first job. I got the nickname Soupy. It has stuck and almost everyone calls me by my nickname now.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 11 Old 09-26-13, 10:33 PM
HTS Moderator
Wayne Myers
Re: Hi from a newbie eager to learn!

Hi Ken, Welcome to Home Theater Shack. You definitely have some adventures ahead of you. Let us know how we can help!
post #3 of 11 Old 09-26-13, 10:37 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Hello Ken and welcome to HTS.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-27-13, 09:30 AM
Elite Shackster
Steve Mechelke -mech
My System
post #5 of 11 Old 09-27-13, 10:30 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

Hello Ken,
Welcome to the Shack. I like the older analog Radio Shack meter, it is the one I have as well. They did not come with any cables. They are pretty easy to use and lots of folks here can help you out. For the most part you'll have it set to "C" Weighting and "SLOW" response for home theater use. I have used the Radio Shack meter as a mic when setting up my Denon, have also used the Denon mic, I really didn't notice a whole lot of difference.

post #6 of 11 Old 09-27-13, 07:18 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
The Mad Professor
My System

Hi Ken..and welcome..

Home Theatre...the never ending story!

post #7 of 11 Old 09-27-13, 07:32 PM
Elite Shackster
My System
Welcome to the Shack!
post #8 of 11 Old 09-28-13, 08:14 PM
HTS Moderator
My System

Welcome to HTS Soupy!

Enjoy your time with us on the forums and be sure to subscribe to our newsletter!
post #9 of 11 Old 09-29-13, 08:47 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

Welcome Soupy to the Home Theater Shack. The REW Forums is where you want to spend some time. Read up and ask your questions.

~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~
post #10 of 11 Old 09-29-13, 01:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Welcome to the Home Theater Shack, glad to have you with us!

eager , learn , newbie

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page