Greetings form Gaithersburg + a little venting :) - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #1 of 16 Old 01-23-14, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Greetings form Gaithersburg + a little venting :)

Hi all,
I came here after finding several references to the REW software on other forums. Little did I know I'd find such a rich community and I look forward to reading as many threads as I can.

I got into audio in high school but could not afford anything till I started working part time in college. My first system in 1984 was a Phillips 14 bit DAC CD player (I did the mods), Advent 3002 speakers and a long forgotten receiver. I used to read religiously on the internet long before most people outside universities even knew what the internet was.

I improved the system over the years including a few DIY amps but at some point my focus shifted from 2 channel to home theater. Believe it or not, I only just replaced those 30 year old Advent speakers (albeit with replacement woofer drivers) just last week when I got four new Bowers and Wilkins CL5s and a "Centre 2".

In my recent research, I have noticed that a lot has changed in audio since I last seriously looked. The most striking changed is the total absence of any speaker similar to the Avent 3002 - i.e. a decent size sealed enclosure speaker with a real woofer driver. Now, it seems, that the trend is to small bookshelf speakers with no low-end on one side and floor standing speakers on the other side. And even the majority of floor standing speakers have dinky drivers or have built-in subwoofers (I'm excluding speakers with stratospheric prices). I'd love to know why this is the case - are people only concerned with aesthetics now? As far as I'm concerned there isn't any substitute for moving air on the low end.

ok, sorry for the rant, I'll get to reading the threads now
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 16 Old 01-23-14, 01:54 PM
Elite Shackster
My System
Your observations and conclusions about speakers are pretty much spot on.
But just because things are different does not mean it has gone down hill.
Truth be told not very many of the old speakers we grew up with and loved produced bass very well.
Some produced lots of it but not very smoothly.
Good affordable subwoofers are now readily available and do a much better job than a 12" woofer of yesteryear that was stuffed in a undersized enclosure ever thought about doing.
Don't get me wrong, I loved my old stereo.
I had it longer than both my wives combined (I think wife #2 will overtake it eventually though)
I don't miss the old gear, the new stuff is better.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-23-14, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Re: Greetings form Gaithersburg + a little venting :)

I didn't necessarily mean to imply that the new stuff is inferior. Clearly, advances in CAD and computer aided analysis are resulting in more efficient and small speakers that can produce sound tremendously well.

Indeed, after a fair amount of fiddling and tuning I've managed to get my B+W speakers to blend almost seamlessly with the MartinLogan sub. It was hard for me to admit it, but the new system does sound a lot better overall. However, that punch I used to get from the Advent's on the front channels in movies is gone because the CL5s simply can't move as much air. The MartinLogan sub fills in nicely but something is still missing.

BTW, the reason I picked the Advent 3002 speakers a long time ago was precisely because they were one of the few (if not only) speakers in my price range that could do a decent job with low-end
post #4 of 16 Old 01-23-14, 04:50 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Hello and welcome to HTS.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-23-14, 05:05 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
The Mad Professor
My System

Hi Lockon..and welcome..

Home Theatre...the never ending story!
post #6 of 16 Old 01-23-14, 05:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Welcome to the Home Theater Shack, glad to have you with us!
post #7 of 16 Old 01-23-14, 05:20 PM
Elite Shackster
My System
Welcome to the Shack!
post #8 of 16 Old 01-23-14, 05:44 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

Welcome to the Shack... Glad you joined.

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #9 of 16 Old 01-23-14, 07:56 PM
Elite Shackster
Steve Mechelke -mech
My System
post #10 of 16 Old 01-23-14, 09:23 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

Yo !! Come on in and take a seat, lets talk and welcome you to the shack.

Good Listening

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"

form , gaithersburg , venting

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page