Hi from Alaska, new to HTS - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 05-14-14, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
My System
Post Hi from Alaska, new to HTS

Hi folks. I basically joined so I could download Room EQ Wizard. I've been an audio nut most of my life starting at around age 12 when my dad brought home a tiny 3" reel to reel tape recorder that ran on 4 C cells and a 9 volt battery. It sounded horrible, but I loved that it could record sounds and play them back. I recorded everything you could think of. Doors slamming, cars starting, lawnmowers running, dogs barking. I was a newb to the audio world and was hooked. It was such a big deal to me when I got my 1st recorder with capstan drive. Then came cassettes. Oh baby... I owned several portable monophonic models, but my leap into the real world of HiFi was when I got my mom to cosign a loan for me so I could get a serious setup. My first hifi rig consisted of a Harman Kardon 330 receiver, a Garrard SL72 turntable with a Pickering cartridge, a pair of Utah 3way speakers and my pride and joy was the Harman Kardon CAD-4 cassette deck. I even bought an external Dolby unit for it, the TEAC AN50. I wore that deck out and upgraded to an ADVENT 201. That was an awesome deck, and for 1971, 280.00 was quite pricey. It made excellent recordings and had a transport built by 3M/Wollensak. I later upgraded to a Pioneer turntable, and a set of the large Advent speakers. I traded out the HK330 for a Scott integrated amp with more power. This system did me service during my first term in the Air Force from 1972 to 1976. During that time I acquired many albums and audio gadgets, one being a DBX 117. That little baby opened my eyes to what real dynamic range was about. Through circumstances of my own doing, I had to sell all my gear and rejoined the Air Force. This was 1981. At Offutt AFB, Omaha, I met my future wife and got married April 1982, but not before I had acquired a new setup. It was a used, but well cared for Pioneer separates system. An integrated amp, tuner, EQ, turntable and CTF-1250 cassette. The speakers I bought from a local sound shop. They were Electro Voice something or others, and I still have them to this day, but none of the drivers are original, all swapped out for better. I added a newer, better DBX 118 but still needed more noise reduction, so in came the DBX 224, a noise reduction device designed specifically for 3 head tape decks. It matched perfect with the CTF-1250 and made some of the quietest, distortion free recordings I had ever heard. Friends could not believe they were listening to cassettes. Then I saw a special edition of AUDIO magazine that had a little black record inside and the cover blurbed "Sonic Hologram" WOW!
I was hooked again, this time on a way to extract detail and depth from already existing recordings. It was like getting all new records to listen to, so I bought a Carver C-9 Sonic Hologram Generator. Still have it. The cool thing about having this device was that the effect could be transferred to tape, so any tape I recorded using sonic hologram was capable of revealing the same detail and depth when played on anyone else's stereo with proper speaker placement. That was the key, speaker placement. It was amazing that the cheap ElectroVoice speakers I had were absolutely perfect to reveal the holographic sound image. I was astounded and amazed as were any friends that I demonstrated it to. While stationed in Korea for a year, I was able to get some sweet gear. It was there I got an APT Holman preamp, a Carver M1.5t amp, a DBX 4bx and a set of Infinity RS6 reference standard speakers with the EMIT tweeters. WOW!
OK, I've rambled on and on. I love audio. I also produce music and have a recording studio in my house. I mix music in 5.1 surround in the .ac3 format and I have a web page where the music can be downloaded for free. Contact me for the link. This is my first post here at HTS. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 Old 05-15-14, 07:32 AM
HTS Moderator
My System
Re: Hi from Alaska, new to HTS

Welcome aboard Hammy, please enjoy your stay.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-15-14, 09:41 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

Hello and welcome to Home Theater Shack.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-15-14, 09:52 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-15-14, 09:59 AM
Elite Shackster
Steve Mechelke -mech
My System
post #6 of 7 Old 05-15-14, 12:05 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

Welcome to the SHACK.

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #7 of 7 Old 05-15-14, 05:59 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
The Mad Professor
My System

Hi..hammytechnoid and welcome..

Home Theatre...the never ending story!

alaska , hts

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page