Hello from Houston. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 13 Old 07-04-14, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
I saw this page when i was looking for reviews for a yamaha subwoofer NS-SW 300. I am hoping you guys could help me to understand at least the essentials for home theater.
I do have the following:
Yamaha receiver RX-V1900
12" cerwin wega front speakers
Yamaha center channel
2 rear yamaha surround speakers
58" panasonic plasma
10" 120 Watts monster THX-soon to be replaced by 10" 250 Watts yamaha.
I supposed i do have 5.1 surround based on the speakers that i have.
How do you go to 7.1? Do i need 2 more speakers? The receiver says built in 7-channel power amplifier.
I have never seen Dolby True HD or DTS-HD lit in the receiver, what am i missing guys?
I will ask you later on about some settings in the receiver which i am completelly lost.
Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Houston.-image-3562988037.jpg  

Hello from Houston.-image-1184589143.jpg  

Hello from Houston.-image-1549376854.jpg  

Hello from Houston.-image-3171074083.jpg  

Hello from Houston.-image-3682353179.jpg  

Hello from Houston.-image-580820019.jpg  

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 13 Old 07-05-14, 04:36 PM
Plain ole user
Tech Guru
Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Hello from Houston.

Welcome to Home Theater Shack. We hope that you will become part of the HTS community and enjoy both contributing to help others and find value in what others have posted.

What are you trying to accomplish in the system? Why replace what you have for a sub?

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-05-14, 05:41 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

Hello and welcome to the Shack.
I'm not familiar with the 10" Monster THX sub but I have my doubts that a 10" Yamaha sub would be much of an upgrade.
No Dolby True or DTS HD? What do you have for a Bllu-ray player? Assuming everything is connected with HDMI cables I would suspect a setting in your Blu-ray player is at fault.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-05-14, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Hi guys.
Thanks for replying, i was waiting for any answers.
The sub that i have is 10" and is 120 watts. The movies do not sound good enough with this. I just bought Yamaha ns-sw300 (which it has a new technology and is suppose to help with richer bass) you really do not think with this new SW my HT won't sound better? I would like to have all my system yamaha, do not want to have many brands for my HT but i am open for suggestions.
Today i saw a Klipsch 10" 450 watts with great reviews. I will wait for you comments on this.
I am using my PS 3 as blue ray player. I put all the options best to my knowledge and i am using all monster HDMI.
I will wait for your comments about the subwoofer to see if i cancel the one i bougth at best buy today.
Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Hello from Houston.-image-1136389121.jpg  

Hello from Houston.-image-2493149993.jpg  

post #5 of 13 Old 07-05-14, 07:10 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Hello and welcome to HTS.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-05-14, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Guys, I did some searching on the internet and i could fix the options on the PS3, the reason that i do not see the true HD and DTS HD on the receiver is because the PS3 is doing the decoding. Subwoofer sounds better but i still think a better subwoofer will dona much better job.
Question for you pls:
- what do you think about the yamaha ns-sw300 sub with the new technology that i bought? What are your recommendations if you think this yamaha won't do better. $500-600 dlls range? Thank you
post #7 of 13 Old 07-06-14, 09:57 AM
Senior Shackster
For 5-609 dollars you can get a sub a thousand times better then that 300 watt Yamaha. Look at SVS, outlaw audio, Rythmik and HSU. All of their entry level subs are priced around that range and will stomp that little sub you have into the ground. As for speakers you mainly want your front three speakers to match so the transition in sound is fluid when panning from left to right and vice versa. Your surrounds should be the same brand but it is definitely not near as critical to have surrounds matching your other speakers as it is to have the fronts matching. BTW: Monster hdmi cables are pretty much a gimmick. You pay for the name. Hdmi is a digital signal, all data transferred travels at the same speed regardless the cable, you either get the signal or you don't. You don't need HIGH SPEED and specially woven and coated cables. Just get a basic cable from mono price in the future and save yourself some money for real upgrades.

Last edited by jamesfrazier; 07-06-14 at 10:20 AM.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-09-14, 07:33 PM
HTS Moderator
My System

Welcome aboard!
post #9 of 13 Old 07-09-14, 11:23 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
My System

Welcome to the SHACK.

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #10 of 13 Old 07-10-14, 07:02 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
The Mad Professor
My System

Hi..Nicecook and welcome..

Home Theatre...the never ending story!

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page