Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

New member from Down Under

Tags
2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  drdoan 
#1 ·
I joined a few weeks back, but have been traveling since via Singapore and London and am still on the road in Colorado.

I am resurrecting an avid technical interest in audio, mostly dormant since BC (before children), which tranlsates to 30+ years. My first project is to restore my Sonab OA-5 Type 2 (Mk II) clones from the early 70's. Thankfully, the Swedish designer Stig Carlsson's early work is relativley well documented on the CarlssonPlanet website, but the original drivers (Philips 9710 8" fullrange) and tweeters (4 x Peerless MT20HFC 2") are no longer available. As my units are well and truly shot, I am now researching substitutes and will have to re-design the crossovers.

That's it for now. I look forward to learning how to use the software that's around these days, especially REW.

Tony Cotter
Melbourne, Australia

#6 ·
Greetings, Tony! We are very happy to welcome you to Home Theater Shack.

Have you checked to see if the drivers can be rebuilt? Here in the US we have some very good rebuilders. I don't know if they would be familiar with the drivers in these or have parts to work with, but it may be a possibility. There is Speaker Exchange in Florida and Orange County Speakers in California to name two of the best.

#10 ·
Thanks for the advice Leonard. I'll check those repair resources, but I've got to tell you they're pretty far gone. I've found a fairly good and inexpensive approximation to the Peerless 2" cone tweeters and I'm looking at the Scan-Speak (formerly Vifa) P21W020 8" polycone as a unit I could possibly use in place of the old Philips driver.

#15 ·
Welcome Tony. Have fun. Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.